What's new

Kava stopped working :(

Daniel

I have been using Kava for about 2-3 years now. Recently, it has stopped working for me. I get a slight hangover effect and a headache. Is there something I am doing wrong? Time to take a break? I have a stressful life (child with autism, demanding job, spouse in grad. school) so I've been relying on Kava for help.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Maybe the batch of kava you've been drinking lately is a dud. Have you tried changing brands or cultivars?

infraredz

BULA!
What cultivar/product are you using?
Did you change prep?

I've never had it stop working like that.

The headache could be due to hydration, or lack thereof of possibly the kind of kava you are using. The hangover could be due to a "tudei" variety, at least, that's the only thing that's caused a hangover in my experience.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I have been using Kava for about 2-3 years now. Recently, it has stopped working for me. I get a slight hangover effect and a headache. Is there something I am doing wrong? Time to take a break? I have a stressful life (child with autism, demanding job, spouse in grad. school) so I've been relying on Kava for help.
This happens to me at least twice a week(I've been drinking every day for about a month). I'll have a great experience with kava, and the next day, same kava and same amount, same prep method, pretty much no effect at all.

Kava is weird stuff, but I love it when it works. I really really really wish it would work every time.

But if you have been drinking kava for that long (I'm a noob and still learning, so my advice is probably not great), maybe instead of RT, actual tolerance has set in?

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
It's probably the kava that you're drinking. I had a few kavas like that: little actual impact on anxiety, lots of side effects, which means I drink more to relieve anxiety, get more side effects, etc. One tudei I drank I wouldn't feel anything except for the hangover the next day.

Sometimes I don't get enough sleep, or my mood/stress is already bad when drinking kava, so the session might not be as optimal. Still, with Papa Ele Ele I've been getting consistent results with the same dose every single night. I need to meditate, exercise, eat well, socialize, or play video games once in a while too -- kava needs stress reduction allies.

Daniel

Hi Guys,

I was doing Bula Borugu, and also tried Fuu. I switched recently to kava by rex tongan pride and lightning but each time disappointing results. I am going to give kava an extended break and hope to come back to it with better results.

infraredz

BULA!
Hi Guys,

I was doing Bula Borugu, and also tried Fuu. I switched recently to kava by rex tongan pride and lightning but each time disappointing results. I am going to give kava an extended break and hope to come back to it with better results.
That might be the problem, though I'm not going to say for sure. Kava by Rex's products used to be very good (last time I tried it was probably around a year ago) and I've heard others say that they haven't been happy with his kava recently (specifically Van3) but who knows, maybe he just has gotten bad batches recently or not been really focussed on that business, I don't know.

It's definitely worth trying what worked for you before (Boroguru and Fu'u)

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I'll second what infraredz said. I've had the tongan kava's by rex recently and found them lacking in the potency department. They haven't given me a headache and did produce a short head buzz but not much else.

infraredz

BULA!
I'll second what infraredz said. I've had the tongan kava's by rex recently and found them lacking in the potency department. They haven't given me a headache and did produce a short head buzz but not much else.
Definitely glad to hear that there is some "evidence" baciking up my claim about KBR. It's a shame, since he used to supple such amazing kava but nowadays, his kava is definitely not only not what it used to be, but not really all that better than say, Kona...