What's new

Kava... what's the catch?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Let's see: it's relaxing, natural, non-addictive, has no withdrawal or developing a tolerance and it helps people WITH addiction, anf getting off of harmful substances.

What's the catch?

What are the downsides? What the things we could live without?

August West

Kava Enthusiast
The struggle to stay hydrated. I have a hard time with dry hands and chapped lips. I have to wash my hands at work easily 20 times a night, being that I work with food. That and kava= old man hands. No bueno.

Also I get home from work around 1030 p.m., and haven't eaten since noon. eating dinner at 11, and falling asleep shortly thereafter equates to a sour stomach in the morning.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
For some people the effect on skin, the prune hands, and the unfortunate fact that some people are either allergic or can't use it due to liver conditions. But those things aside...

D

Deleted User01

Compared to alcohol, I don't see any bad effects as long as you don't abuse it. I think if you take too much on a daily basis or take the wrong kind of kava (Tuday) then you might start feeling a little dingy during the day. I would also caution people with existing liver conditions not to take alcohol, kava, or tylenol ... and that's the short list.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Dry hands and dermo, if and when it pops up. Also would prefer if it wasn't so finicky with stomach content. I feel my nutrition is suffering because I aim to get the most from my root. I eat enough food but at odd times which kinda leaves me hungry and unmotivated.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi. I've been using Kava daily for 6 weeks (ish). It took 3 weeks to break through the RT. I use 40grams in 500ml water - nylon sock kneading for 10mins - strain in hob strainer. I have developed a rash behind my knee's/inside part of my arms near elbows and my hands are very dry and sore. I've read on the FAQ about this and it said people get it through prolonged use? Do I have this do you think after just 6 weeks? Any advice/suggestions/pointers would be much appreciated

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think it's possible, with the amounts you are drinking. A picture would be best if you want a positive ID. The only thing to do at that point is back off. Lotions can help ease the symptoms but the only thing that we know of that might actually help treat it is alpha hydroxy lactic acid which is sold in the states OTC as Amlactin, not sure what your local equivalent is.

Your post also made me think of my real biggest catch, which is that people starting out often have difficulty getting effects from the kava. At some point it just feels like you're doing a lot of legwork to drink muddy dishwater, and that frustrates newbies enough to the point where people drop out all the time. This forum was instrumental in convincing me of kava's value.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks. I'll not drink any more for a bit to see if it improves. I absolutely see the value and feel it of Kava. I also suffer from psoriasis which I have steroid cream for - might try that. I wasn't aware that I was drinking a lot so it's good to know that I am...still finding my way I guess.

ps: what would you say is a safe amount to drink and how often?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I have yet to find an amount of kava that is unsafe to drink in the sense that it will lead to long term problems. I don't know that dermopathy can cause any long term issues, although I suppose it could.

You are not drinking a lot compared to lots of people here, including myself, but I tend to drink until my skin is getting pretty bad and then lay off for weeks, which I've realized is a kinda silly approach to it, at least for me because I don't have bad acute anxiety, addiction or other problems that would make me need to drink every day, so I'm cutting back the amounts I drink.

It also tends to be a lot more unpleasant when the air is cold and dry.

Let us know if your cream helps.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you. I run at everything new like a bull in a china shop. I made some up for this evening - I find it totally gets rid of my insomnia which has been so so good but after this evening I'll stop until the rash clears up and then try less and use every other day until I find what's safe for me.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I'll need to find out what that is here in the UK. I use Dermovate for my psoriasis but only have a few spots so don't use it that often...I'll give it a go and see what happens - thanks

verticity

I'm interested in things
Good God does it get that bad?? Thankfully I'm not quite there yet
Yes, that picture is actually from a medical textbook on dermopathy, of a patient in the Los Angeles area, who consumed huge quantities of something known as "mystery waka"

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
In LA where the sun always shines?? Oh dear...not much hope for those of us sitting shivering under grey skies and cold winds here

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Just bought some of the cream recommended on here from a UK distributor - coming tomorrow. How long does it take to work in your/everyone's experience and how long should I stop drinking Kava for? I love it that's the thing.

verticity

I'm interested in things
In LA where the sun always shines?? Oh dear...not much hope for those of us sitting shivering under grey skies and cold winds here
The US west is actually pretty dry. Here in Colorado is very dry, which doesn't help. I imagine the humidity in the UK would be higher, which would be a mitigating factor.
I generally use Amalactin twice a day in badly affected areas. It works after 1 or 2 applications, but you have to keep using it, or the dermo will come back. I have not yet felt the need to stop drinking kava. I guess I don't mind living with a little dermo for the benefits I get from kava.