What's new

Kava with Massage Therapy and Yoga

Shiny

Hello everyone,

I’m new to kava and new here to the tribe.

I tried doing searches on massage and kava, but kept coming up with topics concerning the traditional preparation techniques, so here goes my first newbie post…

I’m a massage therapist and a yoga teacher. I was wondering if anyone here has tried drinking kava before receiving a massage therapy session. Seems like the relaxing effects of the kava on the mind/body/spirit would really enhance a massage therapy experience, and vice versa.

And are there any other yogis out there? How has combing kava with a yoga session felt?

Are there any varieties that you would recommend with massage therapy or yoga activities?

I’ve already ordered the sample packs from BKH and GHK and a few nylon strainer bags in the 25 and 55 and 75 micron sizes. I have a lot of experimenting to do, but wanted to say hello and ask if there are any other massage and/or yoga enthusiasts out there as well. :)

Shiny

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Welcome to the forums, I do not do yoga but I have had my license in Shiatsu since 1984, I learned the Namikoshi style from the Aisen Shiatsu school in Honolulu, this school was started by a top student of the founder of this style of Shiatsu and I have also had the privilege of learning from the founders son when he came to Hawaii a few times.
Kava does help the patient to relax and you are able to get into the points easy and overall it seems to help a great deal. There are also some Massage oils with kava in it, I have never tried them but some people I know says it works. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Shiny

There are also some Massage oils with kava in it, I have never tried them but some people I know says it works.
Thanks for the quick response, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava --

And thanks for bringing up the idea of Kava-infused massage oils. I didn’t even realize it till now… I think for those who don’t want to consume kava orally, topically via the skin would be a great way to use kava as well.

I’m trained with most massage therapy techniques, including the Hawaiian Lomi Lomi. (However, I have never been trained in Shiatsu. Your background sounds really impressive and admirable, not just in the kava world.) Anyways, with the abundant amounts of oil used in Lomi Lomi, I think I’ll try to make my own kava-infused massage oils. Not only will the client love it, but predict my hands will feel great after using it. :) I mean, I’m a bit familiar (although have never tried) the cannabis-assisted massages that are getting popular here in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado, where it is legal; but kava is more my vibe. Found some recipes online, including one posted here in the forums (http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-massage-infused-oil.4221/) — I’ll try to make some soon and keep you all posted!

**** I also wanted to note, that despite all the benefits from Kava, which range from incredible anti-anxiety relief to effective relaxant from life’s overwhelming stress and tension, I don’t want to tell the whole world about this plant. From what I have read, this plant has strong traditional and recreational value, and is regarded as a scared and spiritual. Often consumed at social gatherings, people “under the enchantment” of kava converse, share, and reminisce with one another. It is considered an herb of friendship and camaraderie and it’s said that “You can’t go to war when sharing kava kava”. — I hope this plant does not get exploited, and in order to do so, education is very important, and you’ve done a lot in that department, as well as many other members of this forum, so I want to thank you for all your time and efforts.

Have a great day everyone!

Shiny in Seattle

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I could see how kava and a massage could complement each other, but not so much on the yoga. First let me preface by saying I have not done yoga, but I have done chi gong exercises which are similar. Some of these are quite strenuous and require good balance and focus. For me Kava would be a detriment in those cases. I have gone hiking, and kayaking on kava and that is perfect. I have also tried more strenuous exercise like soccer - and it generally is not all that fun. Either the exercise overpowers the kava effects or if you had enough kava you just want to lay down and take a nap. So depending on what type of yoga you do/teach it could be more detrimental overall. Personally I would find that yoga mat way to inviting and curl up for a nap. Only one way to find out.....try it and let us know how it goes. Oh, yeah and with enough kava my balance is all kinds of off so I wouldn't recommend any crazy poses that require it.