What's new

Lawena vs waka?

N

Noname

What's the difference ? Is lawena even worth it? From a scale of 1-10 how strong is it ?.. Is it basically like weaker version of waka?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Lawena is the stump of the kava plant and waka is the roots of the kava plant. The roots are stronger but the lawena is also strong and taste better than the roots. In Fiji and Tonga they actually prefer the lawena.
I actually like to use only the stump of some Hawaiian kava, it is also good to mix them together. It all depends on the person drinking and of course it depends on the quality of kava. There is some lawena that is coming out of Fiji that I would not drink but there is a lot of good lawena coming out of Fiji, you just have to make sure you have a good supplier. I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris

N

Noname

Is lawena a differnt type of high ? Also is there a big difference in potency compared to waka?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Is lawena a differnt type of high ? Also is there a big difference in potency compared to waka?
It all depends on the quality and the age of the kava. If they do not add stalks to the lawena or any other things like powdered milk then it is actually good and I find it helps me sleep better than the waka. The waka will always have higher kavalactone content than the lawena does but they both can be good and strong. Tests have shown the waka could be 12% and the lawena might be around 9%. I think the Fijian waka is more heady too. Aloha.

Chris

Kage

Kava Curious
I love both waka and lawena, Like GHK says if they are from a good supplier then you will get some good stuff to try out, mix and match and see what works for you, see what you like the best, it's fun to experiment with good kava.

Kage

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
Squanch Lawena + Squanch Waka 1:1 = superb ! @Noname, this combo might be right down your alley, based on what I think you like and from my personal experimentation. It's my Goto when I want to party, and it's good for multiple washes. You only need a few tablespoons, not the whole pound. I find that my day to day kava is any awa from GHK but come Friday and/or Saturday night I usually seek out the Squanch.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Lawena is wonderful. I primarily use it for mixing with other kavas, to improve taste and tone down intensity or balance effects. That said, sometimes I just drink straight lawena and it's a treat. And as for Taveuni's Lawena from Kava Time, it can rival any other kava of any kind out there. It's incredibly good. Sometimes I just open my jar and sniff for a while, not even making any, just getting off on the beautiful bouquet. There's a bunch of other decent lawena's out there that are well worth trying. And one treat I love is dried lawena chips I got from Kavafied of Matt's Kava Tonga. I just chew on that for a while and the flavour is wonderful and the feeling is brief but fairly intense.