What's new

Least Heady Kavas?

lapiseyed

So I have a problem: I've had to quit drinking kava because it gives me terrible insomnia. A few shells in the afternoon will keep me up until four or five in the morning, with only low quality sleep after that.

Mind you, I'm not new to kava. I had my first shell of kava twenty years ago, but either my metabolism isn't what it used to be or I'm getting very different varietals than what I used to. I think the latter is more likely. I probably drank a lot of tudei over the years, because most kavas these days are more stimulating than coffee for me. In fact, I usually have to take a dump right after my first shell just like I would coffee.

Some kavas cause major insomnia, others are more manageable. I really liked BKH's Koniak and Fu'u, neither of which have been around for years sadly. This confused me, because they were at the opposite end of the spectra of effects and of intensity, the former strong and heavy, the former light and heady. That's made it hard to predict what kind of kavas I can drink. I've wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on kava trying to find something relaxing and not stimulating.

Unfortunately for me, if I had to guess, I'd say that I'm probably super-sensitive to kavain.

My favorite kavas (of the last five years) are:
BKH Fu'u: Quite palatable Tongan with delightful light euphoria, but expensive because it's low potency and very short acting. [246351] is the chemotype posted on this forum, but that seems strange. I've seen Judd call it [465213] elsewhere, which makes more sense to me.
BKH Koniak: Strong, but no next day effects. I remember liking it a lot (except for the intense pinene terpene profile), but it's been too long to remember clearly.
BKH 11 Year Waka: Very nice kava effects, just like I remember from back in the day, but a 50/50 chance of getting insomnia. [246531]

Not my favorites:
N@H Stone - Has nice effects, but even if it didn't give me insomnia more than half of the time, I don't think I could drink it often. [425631]
BKH Nambawan: Palatable, awesomely heady, but sadly way too stimulating. [423165]
BKH Nangol Noble: Like a not as nice Nambawan that tastes far worse with almost as much stimulation but also heavier in the body. [423561]
BKH Instant: Far too short acting to be able to get to a good level
BKH Ava Fagaloa: Very mild flavor and negligible effects

No opinion:
I tried BKH Boronguru [245613] in Portland, but due to jet lag I couldn't say whether or not they caused insomnia. While fine, neither were memorable.
GHK Nene - I can't remember much about, sadly. I think I liked it, but thought it was pretty light and somewhat weak perhaps? Seeing as I think I sought it out because of the kava insomnia and I didn't rebuy it, I suspect that even Nene kept me up at night. [463251]

Rather than flail around in the dark and continue to get kava kava that I can't drink, I thought I'd reach out for some expert advice. I doubt I'm the only person out there that gets insomnia and stimulation from awa, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I was thinking about going by chemotype, but I don't know if that will be predictive of having insomnia as a side-effect. 123456 doesn't tell us a lot about the ratios between the kavalactones present. I'm mostly going to find 42s or 24s, but what I likely need to know is just what percentage overall is 4. AFAIK, only N@H (and formerly GHK) have certificates of analysis publicly listed, and most vendors don't even list chemotypes. When they are, they aren't consistent, and even N@H's listed chemotypes don't match those in their posted COAs. On top of that, even kavas with the same chemotypes--let's say Mo'i and Nene--reportedly are at opposite ends of the stimulation spectrum. Before I make any more mistakes, I figured it would be best to just ask people in the know.

lapiseyed

If chemotype is indicative, from what I could find, there's Kalm With Kava Boronguru [241356], Kava Time Gourmet Kadavu Waka [246513], Root of Happiness Premium Solomon [243XXX], and Root of Happiness Vanuatu [243615]. There's also BKH Borogu. but despite it's BKH's Borogu [243615] chemotype I haven't yet tried it, because I haven't seen many people overrawed with its effects or taste. N@H has White Sand listed as a [425631], but a quick glance at their lab results had it as a [24XXXX], so I'm not sure about that one. Any extremely low-stimulation kavas would be amazing!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If chemotype is indicative, from what I could find, there's Kalm With Kava Boronguru [241356], Kava Time Gourmet Kadavu Waka [246513], Root of Happiness Premium Solomon [243XXX], and Root of Happiness Vanuatu [243615]. There's also BKH Borogu. but despite it's BKH's Borogu [243615] chemotype I haven't yet tried it, because I haven't seen many people overrawed with its effects or taste. N@H has White Sand listed as a [425631], but a quick glance at their lab results had it as a [24XXXX], so I'm not sure about that one. Any extremely low-stimulation kavas would be amazing!
Your logic is solid there. I’ve heard the kadavu described as “stony”. Borongoru has a little up to it, but not much, and on the weaker end which may actually be good for sleep. Solomon I haven’t tried from ROH but again your method there is zeroing in on some classic heavy kavas.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Kava Time's Kadavu is currently sold out. However I will say this; I find it less agitating than a lot of other kavas; very chill. And whatever kavalactone I normally feel hit me at 7 minutes after ingestion, I do not really feel hit at all with the previous/current batch of Kadavu (for which I actually don't have the current chemotype, cause they didn't have a big enough batch to test). I feel the Kadavu hit me at about 20 minutes after ingestion (then SEEMS to deepen again just a little some 20 minutes later; not sure if that's my imagination). Anyway, they all seem to keep me awake a little; but smaller doses of Kadavu, especially earlier in the day, seem to bother me less. (which is funny because some make me VERY SLEEPY but still keep me awake; this one feels very heavy but doesn't make me sleepy but seems to more easily not keep me awake... but kava and sleep is a mystery to me).

Last edited:

lapiseyed

Thanks for the suggestions - that's it helpful!

I finding it hard to just search for heavy kavas, because a lot of people call intensely heady kava blends heavy. That could be due to individual variation, or because they feel like they're heavy because they're intense (ie, Nambawan, Nangol Noble, or Stone.)

Based on what reviews I've found, these seem like possible starting points :
[ ] Kava Supreme
[ ] Hanakapi Ai'
Potentially, these could also work:
[ ] Kumakua from GHK
[ ] Papa Ele Ele from GHK
[ ] Fijian Dua Na Bilo
[ ] Vanuatu Select from The Kava Roots
[ ] Tongan Reserve from The Kava Roots
[ ] Waka from Squanch
[ ] Vula Waka from Kalm With Kava
[ ] Boronguru from Kalm With Kava
[ ] Solomon from Root of Happiness
Anything obvious that I'm overlooking?

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

I finding it hard to just search for heavy kavas, because a lot of people call intensely heady kava blends heavy. That could be due to individual variation, or because they feel like they're heavy because they're intense (ie, Nambawan, Nangol Noble, or Stone.)

[ ] Kava Supreme
[ ] Hanakapi Ai'
[ ] Kumakua from GHK
[ ] Fijian Dua Na Bilo
[ ] Waka from Squanch
Fyi, for me, and I am a bit weird on this point, Kava Supreme makes me a couch-locked lazy zombie; but it doesn't help me actually sleep. I think I've even gotten sound distortion from it, which I associate with Kavain. (I'm weird though, cause sometimes a low dose of Mo'i does help me sleep). Supreme is a great kava though; I like it especially for blending with heady kavas. Also I liked the effects of Squanch, but the batch I tried some time ago seemed heady to me.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!

[ ] Kava Supreme
[ ] Hanakapi Ai'
[ ] Kumakua from GHK
[ ] Fijian Dua Na Bilo
[ ] Waka from Squanch
I understand how you feel about people saying some kava is really heavy and then finding out it's not. Very few kava products are strong enough to help me sleep much anymore. Have you tried Stone recently? The bags I've gotten lately have been much less "buzzy" than in years past. My go to kavas for sleep regardless of what kava I drink earlier in the evening are Supreme and Stone. Kava Time's Ambae may be worth a try. The Kadavu was nice but not as sedating for me but you may get what you want out of the right dose. The only ones on your potential list that would really help me with sleep is the Vanuatu Select or the Solomon. Also, Squanch waka does have some strong effects but it has absolutely no sedation for me. I have to mix it into some Stone or Supreme if I'm drinking with the intent of sleeping afterward. If none of those work, the ROH Papua New Guinea ISA would be similar to the Koniak.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I understand how you feel about people saying some kava is really heavy and then finding out it's not. Very few kava products are strong enough to help me sleep much anymore. Have you tried Stone recently? The bags I've gotten lately have been much less "buzzy" than in years past. My go to kavas for sleep regardless of what kava I drink earlier in the evening are Supreme and Stone. Kava Time's Ambae may be worth a try. The Kadavu was nice but not as sedating for me but you may get what you want out of the right dose. The only ones on your potential list that would really help me with sleep is the Vanuatu Select or the Solomon. Also, Squanch waka does have some strong effects but it has absolutely no sedation for me. I have to mix it into some Stone or Supreme if I'm drinking with the intent of sleeping afterward. If none of those work, the ROH Papua New Guinea ISA would be similar to the Koniak.
Re: Kadavu: I was suggesting it more as something not-insomia-inducing more than as sleep-inducing.