What's new

left on the counter for 2 days

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I've been wondering if the strainer filled with about 8 tablespoon that I've forget on the counter should be trown away or the natural antiseptic of kava will preserves it. The smell was a bit off but not enough to make me sure about it.

The maka has been washed two time at first and was not fully dried after the 2 days of sleeping at room temp.

Any experiance from you guys about that?

skip L

Kava Curious
I would be pretty skeptical, but im not 100 percent sure. I would THINK that bacteria would have started to multiply by that time, and probably may not be a good idea.

Like i said im not 100 percent sure, im sure others may have better opinions from experience.

-skip

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've been wondering if the strainer filled with about 8 tablespoon that I've forget on the counter should be trown away or the natural antiseptic of kava will preserves it. The smell was a bit off but not enough to make me sure about it.

The maka has been washed two time at first and was not fully dried after the 2 days of sleeping at room temp.

one day ok, two days no! And even with that you really want to keep it in the fridge overnight. The makas will never dry out, unless you spread them out on a metal sheet in the sun, which you wouldn't do unless you were Peter Colmar looking to resell by adulterating good root (jk, I am sure he would never do that). If you aren't going to use makas soon just freeze then thaw later when needed.

Last edited:

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
After emptying the strainer, I think it kind of smells like rot... Subtle but still... it smell like garbage juice hehe.
This morning I was in a hurry so I'm glad I got the nice idea to post on the forum!

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
2 day old grog turns sour. Might be fermentation, might be some mind of enzymatic breakdown.

It might not make you sick but you don't know has been growing in it. If you want to store kava longer than overnight, freeze it.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
2 day old grog turns sour. Might be fermentation, might be some mind of enzymatic breakdown.

It might not make you sick but you don't know has been growing in it. If you want to store kava longer than overnight, freeze it.
I usualy put it in the fridge over nigth.

Is it easy to manage unfreezing? I have a few in the freezer actually, flat frozen in Zip-loc. I guess putting the bag in warm water will go fine.

I'm only in my second week using kava. Didn't BT yet.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I usualy put it in the fridge over nigth.

Is it easy to manage unfreezing? I have a few in the freezer actually, flat frozen in Zip-loc. I guess putting the bag in warm water will go fine.

I'm only in my second week using kava. Didn't BT yet.
one nice way of freezing is using ice cube trays, then you put the frozen cubes in a thick ziplock freezer bag and only take out what you needed. It can be really a clever idea to cool your fresh grog down by adding frozen grog cubes.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Isshhh, ouais! bien que centenaire, l'état de salubrité de ma maison me laisse aucun doute que cette vermine n'entrera pas chez nous! LoL

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Were you asking about the bag or the makas? I'd wash the bag in soap and water and not worry about it. I'd've thrown the makas away.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My experience:
- room temp (or warm made) on the counter good for a few hours. I wouldn't push it past 8 hrs.
- sealed up in a mason jar and put in the fridge good for 2-3 days. Might be okay longer but I have never made enough in one batch that I didn't finish in 3 days.
- frozen is good for quite a while but the most I have had frozen kava for is a few weeks

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
My experience:
- room temp (or warm made) on the counter good for a few hours. I wouldn't push it past 8 hrs.
- sealed up in a mason jar and put in the fridge good for 2-3 days. Might be okay longer but I have never made enough in one batch that I didn't finish in 3 days.
- frozen is good for quite a while but the most I have had frozen kava for is a few weeks
That matches with my experience.

Last edited: