What's new

Let's talk Melo Melo

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Bula,

I'm finding the Melo Melo to be a dank brew, it has a strong bite and the taste is challenging, even for kava. I enjoy the effects though so I can soldier through for now...but has anyone modified their prep of Melo Melo specifically to make it more, well, uh...mellow? Any favorite recipes to share?

In Peace,
Kavacus

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
If you think Melo Melo is challenging, wait until you drink some Borogoru.

As for your question on making Melo Melo more mellow, consider mixing your Melo Melo root with some lawena or a heady kava like Mo'i or Kelai. You probably can't go wrong mixing it with a balanced kava like Borogu, Mahakea, or Nene.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I think the taste of Melo Melo cultivar is a bit more peppery/bitter than other cultivars, but maybe not too bad. Which Melo Melo did you have?

truthornothing

Kava Curious
I have not gotten krunk in awhile...I was almost out I had some year old Lapita I just made with the alu ball and damn.. Its still potent. Couch locked and it does not taste bad...It is a heavy Kava and I like the heady heavy combo...what is the best out there at the moment? That I can obtain rapidly?

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Bula Kava House, it was the only one available. I find I tolerate traditional prep with muslin much better than using the alu-ball with some cultivars...

Palmetto

Thank God!
I've not been too keen on the two Melo Melos I've tried. BKH and KWK. Just not my type of cultivar.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
If I understand it correctly, there are two types of Melo Melo. Short hand and Green hand. The latter tastes much better in my view, though short hand is a bit stronger/heavier.
The one we have on our website is green hand.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Half of a lemon squeezed and a spoonfull of sugar (makes the medicine go down)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If you think Melo Melo is challenging, wait until you drink some Borogoru.
I've never found boroguru (or boronguru, if there's even a difference) to be funky or bitter... It basically tastes like borogu to me every time I've ever tried it. Is there a certain batch you are thinking of? Just curious. :)

OP, My best luck with neutralizing the flavor of kava is to add a good shot of lime or lemon juice to the grog and drink it cold.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I've never found boroguru (or boronguru, if there's even a difference) to be funky or bitter... It basically tastes like borogu to me every time I've ever tried it. Is there a certain batch you are thinking of? Just curious. :)

OP, My best luck with neutralizing the flavor of kava is to add a good shot of lime or lemon juice to the grog and drink it cold.
For a while, I had an old bag of KwK Borongoru that I thought was decently hefty. Lately I'm drinking Kava Society Borogoru. It's my medium-grind kava I go to in the evenings. I drink Melo Melo or a Hawaiian kava earlier in the day if work is slow or if I'm home in the afternoon.