What's new

Liked the NeNe but it made me phlegmy. Any other suggestions?

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Alot of drugs make have this effect once they wear off. I have allergies which cause perrenial rhinitis already so such side effects I notice all the more. Ive not noticed it with kava before but with the Nene this happened such that it made it not worth taking. I find it irritates me to negate any good effects it had.

Does anyone else know of this phelegmy effect and what kavas might not do it?

I guess ill just have to trial and error it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I get it EVERY time I drink kava. My nose runs like a faucet when I drink kava. Always has. Doesn't matter the strain. If it's kava, it effects me like that.

Do you suffer from GERD, or have pretty regular acid reflux? I've always thought that had something to do with it for me.

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Na I have dust mite allergy, so always a background level of histamine response. Though its under control provided I militantly keep my house free of dust but anything like cigarette smoke and certain drugs/intoxicants will exaserbate it.

I might try one more time with another strain then have to call it quits if its no better.

K

Kava Steve

I get it EVERY time I drink kava. My nose runs like a faucet when I drink kava. Always has. Doesn't matter the strain. If it's kava, it effects me like that.

Do you suffer from GERD, or have pretty regular acid reflux? I've always thought that had something to do with it for me.
I have GERD and Dust Mite allergy and do not experience this from kava so maybe an allergy to kava itself?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I have GERD and Dust Mite allergy and do not experience this from kava so maybe an allergy to kava itself?
Some of us do, seems some cultivars effect me more (but why does it have to be nene like the first poster @Geiourht ?). BUT my body is adjusting very nicely and most of my symptoms are going away. I still have a few, but sticking too it and as I have mentioned before as long as I dont get hives I can do this! My body seems to be saying, "ok kava is different and I am not sure, but I think I can work with this". For example I have had a bit of Kava every day this week and I can not tell the difference from my normal back ground allergies and my kava allergies. Other than the occasional slight "kava cough" that will only last a few minutes.

Last edited:

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Good to hear some other opinions on this.

Yes like guy said i dont think its a kava allergy itself, becuase i never noticed it beofre. Its hard to say it needs more epxerimentation.

Because the previous kavas i had were not reputable so maybe it was just cos the lactones were weaker but they did still give me a psychoactive effect.

And i didnt notice it from malekula which is reputable so im veering to thinking it might just be that strain.

I do know these ethnobotanicals need alot of careful work to find out one way or the other cos i was also about to write of beloved krat due to serious anxiety spikes but eventually made a breakthrough with that and it became my best buddy :)