What's new

Looking for advice

Martini-Man

Hi everyone, I'm a complete neophyte to the world of kava and would appreciate some tips on how to get started. My intention is to use kava for relaxation and to help some occasional insomnia. I have ordered some 11 year Waka and some instant from BKH and expect delivery in the next day or two. So, my questions...Does it matter what type I start with? Not sure about doseage either, one teaspoon or more in a glass of water? I'm enjoying the forums and plan to read up and learn as much as I can, but in the meantime, all tips and advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Welcome @Martini-Man :) Yeah I would say start with one or two teaspoons in some water, stir well, or put it in a small jar with a cap on and shake it up (I find that mixes it better). See how you feel and then take more depending on how it goes. You might experience reverse tolerance, in which case it'll take you some time of ingesting kava before it has an effect. Be patient, everyone's experience is different.

There are also a number of things you can do to potentiate it. I'd suggest following up your shells with some hot soup, preferably of the spicy variety.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
As someone intelligent said to me when I was asking these questions... you can always add but you can't take away, once it's in it's in. Even with reverse tolerance it's easy to overdo it and make yourself pretty nauseous because the effects take a while to build. The full effect from a single dose of kava can take up to an hour to show itself so be patient, start slow and keep increasing the dose as you get an idea for what effect it will have.

I don't know about the 11 yr waka but I know the BKH Instant green is lovely stuff. I would say a couple of teaspoons of that would be a good start then if you feel ok after an hour and want more you can add another two. Alternatively just mix one tsp every 20 mins until you've had 3 or 4. Vary your amounts and timings to see what works best for you.

I've been mixing with milk recently as it helps with any stomach problems, tastes ok and lifts the effect a little. Try with water first and then maybe give the milk a try, lovely with instant green. I think I'm a one man band with the milk thing though ;-)