What's new

Looking for input on Kava for performance anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

letournc

Hi Everyone!

Fairly new to Kava so I was hoping to get some input from some people who are more experienced. I am looking to use Kava instead of Propranolol or Xanax for performance anxiety..aka meetings, presentations...etc. Currently taking 0.5 mg of Xanax, or 10-20 mg of Propranolol works very well for me. However, I was drawn to Kava as a more natural way to mitigate anxiety for these situations. I have been experimenting with Kava capsules and I can definitely feel the benefits, however I have a couple questions.

Question 1: Do you have to take Kava on a regular basis (daily) to obtain the calming effects? I am fortunate to have overcome some more severe anxiety, and now need something for situational anxiety so I would like to take it as needed.

Question 2: How many mg of Kavaltones should I expect to take to achieve a similar result to 0.5 mg of Xanax? Taking 2 capsules of ~75/90 mg (150-180 mg total) of Kavaltones doesn't seem to do it. I have tried 3 75 mg capsules, and it gets close... Should I expect to take 300 + mg of Kavaltones to get a similar effect? Is this safe? Appears to be based on people consuming 3-6 bowls of the more potent stuff! I think the FDA stuff on the bottle seem to be an unfounded we need to cover ourselves.

Thanks in advance!

N

Noname

Kava has reverse tolerance so over time you need less to feel it. Second thing is first week or 2 you might noT feel anything.

I can't answer second question I don't know anything about that.

Don't feel fear for meetings and presentations. Fear is always ready to tell you bs for any situation you are in. You'll be fine. Meeting someone for the first time? Fear will say it will end up awkward. Planning to buy a business? Fear will tell you it may be slow business and you'll end up losing money. Buying a new car? Oh it may turn out to have problems and i wont be able to return it. fear tells us so much bs. Don't listen to it. Don't even allow it say a single word. If you allow it to speak it will give you "facts" "evidence". Fear is a good debater but it's all bs and it has nothing to prove. Fear will make bs and lies sound like truth. But they don't make any sense fear is like a lying business man who's job is to SOUND like they make sense. There's Nothing to fear.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hi Everyone!

Fairly new to Kava so I was hoping to get some input from some people who are more experienced. I am looking to use Kava instead of Propranolol or Xanax for performance anxiety..aka meetings, presentations...etc. Currently taking 0.5 mg of Xanax, or 10-20 mg of Propranolol works very well for me. However, I was drawn to Kava as a more natural way to mitigate anxiety for these situations. I have been experimenting with Kava capsules and I can definitely feel the benefits, however I have a couple questions.

Question 1: Do you have to take Kava on a regular basis (daily) to obtain the calming effects? I am fortunate to have overcome some more severe anxiety, and now need something for situational anxiety so I would like to take it as needed.

Question 2: How many mg of Kavaltones should I expect to take to achieve a similar result to 0.5 mg of Xanax? Taking 2 capsules of ~75/90 mg (150-180 mg total) of Kavaltones doesn't seem to do it. I have tried 3 75 mg capsules, and it gets close... Should I expect to take 300 + mg of Kavaltones to get a similar effect? Is this safe? Appears to be based on people consuming 3-6 bowls of the more potent stuff! I think the FDA stuff on the bottle seem to be an unfounded we need to cover ourselves.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what the kava to xanax equivalency rate would be, it would certainly be different from person to person. Do you "feel" .50 xanax, like can you feel the sensation of a drug washing over you and affecting you, or does it feel like nothing has happened, but you realize you're less anxious? The best doses anti-anxiety doses of kava, for the purpose you describe, are closer to the latter. Kava pills are generally weak or bunk and not indicative of proper traditional consumption/effects. But, it is the lower end kava doses (which would likely still be higher than standardized pill doses), that are better for keeping you functional, mildly relieving anxiety & making you a bit more talkative without* really "feeling" like you're on something.

I know some people take xanax and really feel effects from it, I personally don't "feel" .50 Xanax, but I do think it does alleviate some anxiety, but it just isn't obvious to me. I would say you need a minimum of 400mg of kavalactones to start getting where you need to be. Deeply sedating, meditative, relaxing, slightly inebriating doses go up into the 2,000mg + range. (consumed over the period of 1 or 2-3 hours) Those are the kind of dosages that are consumed nightly in Vanuatu. We don't use kava pills to achieve this level.

Last edited:

letournc

Not sure what the kava to xanax equivalency rate would be, it would certainly be different from person to person. Do you "feel" .50 xanax, like can you feel the sensation of a drug washing over you and affecting you, or does it feel like nothing has happened, but you realize you're less anxious? The best doses anti-anxiety doses of kava, for the purpose you describe, are closer to the latter. Kava pills are generally weak or bunk and not indicative of proper traditional consumption/effects. But, it is the lower end kava doses (which would likely still be higher than standardized pill doses), that are better for keeping you functional, mildly relieving anxiety & making you a bit more talkative without* really "feeling" like you're on something.

I know some people take xanax and really feel effects from it, I personally don't "feel" .50 Xanax, but I do think it does alleviate some anxiety, but it just isn't obvious to me. I would say you need a minimum of 400mg of kavalactones to start getting where you need to be. Deeply sedating, meditative, relaxing, slightly inebriating doses go up into the 2,000mg + range. (consumed over the period of 1 or 2-3 hours) Those are the kind of dosages that are consumed nightly in Vanuatu. We don't use kava pills to achieve this level.
Thanks for the feedback, the information on the medium (400 mg) vs sedative/meditative (2000 mg) is great information! I wondered what it took for people to get these effects described in Vanuatu.

To answer your other questions: I do not feel 0.5 mg of Xanax like a buzz or anything like that. It does however hit the spot in my brain that causes a bit of panic when I start presenting and totally settles me down. It works fantastic and I feel like myself not someone struggling with a rush of panic/anxiety. Likewise Propranolol is a beta blocker and blocks the physical symptom I get from rapid heart rate. I definitely feel more chill and relaxed even with 150 mg of Kava it is pretty awesome.

So in the end sounds like I should experiment with a higher dose and see how it goes. I will probably try some traditionally brewed Kava to see if I notice a difference.

letournc

Kava has reverse tolerance so over time you need less to feel it. Second thing is first week or 2 you might noT feel anything.

I can't answer second question I don't know anything about that.

Don't feel fear for meetings and presentations. Fear is always ready to tell you bs for any situation you are in. You'll be fine. Meeting someone for the first time? Fear will say it will end up awkward. Planning to buy a business? Fear will tell you it may be slow business and you'll end up losing money. Buying a new car? Oh it may turn out to have problems and i wont be able to return it. fear tells us so much bs. Don't listen to it. Don't even allow it say a single word. If you allow it to speak it will give you "facts" "evidence". Fear is a good debater but it's all bs and it has nothing to prove. Fear will make bs and lies sound like truth. But they don't make any sense fear is like a lying business man who's job is to SOUND like they make sense. There's Nothing to fear.
I like it, however man I wish it were that easy! Prior to a nasty panic attack I had during a presentation I had zero fear of presenting! I actually love it! The old part of our brain that deals with fight/flight is a tricky animal and mine seems rather primal, which would work great for a tiger fight or something. I have always had a very strong adrenaline response, which works great for sports, however not so great for aftermath of a panic attack!

N

Noname

Just do it. Fear is the biggest liar ever. It's always right next to you ready to blast you with lies and deception. It'll try to convince you it's real. Next time you have a presentation just imagine they're all idiots lol.something I heard from someone

Jerome

Kava Lover
@letournc
Ever try toastmasters? I became uber phobic of public speaking to the point where i nearly lost my job. Toastmasters was a safe place to face the panic until the panic left me. Took a while, but I finally lost the fear of public speaking and began to enjoy it again.

It was the same for me, one bad panic attack while speaking to a crowd and boom... Paralyzing phobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.