What's new

Looking Forward To Trying This....

D

Deathrydar

Hey everyone,

This is going to be a long story, but I will do my best to make it short as possible and as interesting as possible.

I was seeing a psychiatrist and was put on Xanax for about three years, and the dosage kept on being increased until it was up to 5mg a day!

In November, my idiotic psychiatrist took me off of the Xanax cold turkey and put me on Klonopin because I needed something that "lasts longer".

She never told/warned me about benzo-withdrawal. And I never even heard about it.
She took me off of 5mg a day of Xanax and "replaced it" with 1.5 mg of Klonopin. (.5mg 3x's a day)

It was hell! I wound up in a mental institution for 72 hours to get my meds and my head straight.....that's when the psychiatrists in the mental institution started me on 3 mg of Klonopin and 40 mg of Paxil.

UGH!

I was tired of putting these chemicals in my body! I wanted my life back! I didn't feel like myself anymore!

I stopped taking the Paxil last month. It was of moderate difficulty, but I got thru it.

This month, I started the taper off of my Klonopin and went from 3mg a day to 2mg a day without any issues. I figured that since I haven't been on the Klonopin for that long, and felt invincible from stopping the Paxil cold turkey, that I would stop the Klonopin cold turkey.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

After four days I felt like I was going to die. The insomnia, the psychosis, the feeling of being disconnected.

Anyway, I started taking 2mg of it again and felt like a completely failure! :bag:

I went to see my general doctor, as I am done with psychiatrists, and told him that I wanted off of this poison.

My general doctor is helping me, and I am now down to 1mg of Klonopin a day. (.5mg at morning, .5mg a night)

So far, so good. Only light withdrawal-like symptoms, but nothing like what I experienced from the Xanax and Klonopin cold turkey.

But none of this is going to help with my actual issue. I am an EXTREMELY tense and a high strung guy. I am always moving something on my body and have a hard time relaxing. My wife says my muscles feel like rocks and she cannot even massage me.

My sensai at my Krav Maga class says my "tenseness" causes me to be predictable when fighting and such. I have been taking martial arts classes for years and have always been told I am too tense and predictable. This is why I always get my butt handed to me in sparring tournaments. :(

One day, a guy I worked with pulled me aside and said, "when you go home, do you instantly sit on the couch and fall asleep? (Referring to how high strung and tense I am)

I even walk funny because my muscles are all tight.

So stopping the the Klonopin isn't going to help, as I am going to be the way I was before I started taking benzos, which was really, really anxious and worried.

For example:
When I was on the third night of the Klonopin cold turkey withdrawal, and the third straight night of no sleep and just laying in bed, I shifted my position in bed and nearly elbowed my wife in the face. I didn't, but then my anxiety took over.

All of a sudden, in my head, I am imagining if I would have elbowed her and broke her nose and then she was in the hospital and then I imagined that the cops took her into the back to ask her some questions and she was angry with me because I elbowed her and told them that I did it on purpose and I was arrested.

I will spare you all from the rest of the story, but it was pretty detailed with me in court and getting a divorce and losing my job and having nowhere to live, etc.

My anxiety rules me! :(

If I have kept your interest in my story for this long, you are probably wondering why I am posting this on the Kava forums......

I read about Kava, so I went to my local herb store and bought some Kava Kava Root capsules.

I am ignoring the crap I read everywhere about it causing liver damage, as that is probably due to this herb actually working and that would be a danger to the big pharmaceutical companies out there, so they had to taint it's reputation before they lost money.

I cannot take it yet, as I read in a lot of places that it is not good to take Kava while on a benzo, so I am going to have to wait until after I am completely off of the Klonopin, but my wife decided to take some last week and said she was relaxed, focused and fell right to sleep.

I envied her!

She has taken it a couple more times over the past four days and she continues to say that it relaxes her and makes her focused, which is kind of what Xanax and Klonopin did to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to everyone, as I will be around more once I can start taking this herb. I hope it works and I hope to get to know everyone a little better. And now you all know my story. :D

Open for discussion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome! Order yourself some powdered root kava and a strainer from one of the fine vendors on this forum, it will knock your socks off. And as a bonus, it'll help with some of that muscle tenseness too.

D

Deathrydar

Welcome! Order yourself some powdered root kava and a strainer from one of the fine vendors on this forum, it will knock your socks off. And as a bonus, it'll help with some of that muscle tenseness too.
It's kind of overwhelming, all of the vendors I see on here......any recommendations?

D

Deathrydar

I just ordered - 1/4 Kilo of Boroguru Kava Powder from Bula Kava House, along with a strainer. Might be a while before I can try it, but I'll have it.

Thanks!!!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Welcome! I'm new here as well... So you are this tense on benzos? Or you just can't feel them anymore? It sounds like you could benefit from something like yoga to direct your nervous energy. Meditation works pretty well too. I'm curious about how kava will affect you compared to benzos... Let us know!

D

Deathrydar

Welcome! I'm new here as well... So you are this tense on benzos? Or you just can't feel them anymore? It sounds like you could benefit from something like yoga to direct your nervous energy. Meditation works pretty well too. I'm curious about how kava will affect you compared to benzos... Let us know!
Thanks, I will!

I tried meditation, but my noisy mind won't let me get into that state of mind to actually meditate.
I tried yoga, not for very long though so I didn't give that a fair shot.

The benzo's never made me relax, but they took away my anxiety! But the need to have to raise the dosage kept happening and this circle is ridiculous! I am tired of the chemicals and would like to try something natural!

I will keep everyone updated as to how I feel on the kava poosed to the benzos.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
I second what the others says, people on these forums aren't really into these kava pills, they're not worthwhile.
The only worthwhile extracts are from reliable suppliers that know their kava, not the ones from these natural/herbal companies, and straining kava root beats everything by a mile,

Good Luck with your withdrawal!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I forgot to add I've been through the same shit for anxiety/depression, but never had severe w/d's. I stayed away from ssris after getting side effects, so I had no problem quitting them. I was on prescribed valium for at least a year, but didn't take it as often as prescribed so I was able to get off with a gentle taper. Today I use kava and K@ to treat depression and anxiety far more effectively than any pill ever has.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Deathrydar. Man your story is really moving and it seems like some of your Docs were doped up. I suffer from light anxiety due to pressure at work. You could say I'm a nervous Nelly. I've taken Xanax before but I had to stop because it made me feel like I wanted to bite someone's head off the next day (unless I had another). So to give you some idea about Kava. I used to be a daily drinker of Alcohol, not a big problem, but not ideal either. Now I drink Kava 2/3 times a week and don't drink those days. Ya know what, I crave alcohol less and less because I keep thinking about the relaxing effects, the deep sleep, and the ability to concentrate at nite that I get with Kava. With alcohol, my mind shuts down and sleep is sometimes fitful.

P.S. Those are guys here that have gone thru almost the identical process that you describe and they can help guide you. Good Luck!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi! And welcome to the forums! Your story is more common than not among members here and people who have taken up drinking kava over going with big pharma.

Yes, you definitely made a good choice in regards to your purchase. I drink it nightly, and have been for about a year now. Good stuff :D

D

Deleted User01

Deathrydar, one more thing. If you have problems with the taste, just use some coconut water when you make it. Not coconut milk or creme, just the watery stuff to mask the taste. And you can also check out the Kava candies for a pick me up when you are away from your Kava. I usually take a Kava candy when my wife drags me to the mall. Then I find a quiet corner in the shoe department and fiddle around with my phone while she shops. Macy's has free Wifi ...

D

Deathrydar

I am starting my .25mg only at night tonight.

This was my taper progress off of Klonopin so far:

November 6th - December 31st= 1 mg 3x's a day (3mg total)
January 1st - January 4th = 1 mg 2x's a day (2mg total)
January 5th - January 7th = Quit Cold Turkey -BIG MISTAKE-
January 8th - January 12th= 1 mg 2x's a day (2mg total)
January 13th - January 16th= .5mg in morning, 1 mg at bedtime (1.5mg total)
January 17th - January 19th= .5mg in morning, .5mg at bedtime (1mg total)
January 20th - January 22nd= .25 in morning, .25 at bedtime (.5mg total)
Today= .25 at bedtime (.25mg total)

I know it's fast, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of these chemicals.

D

Deleted User01

Go Deathrydar, go. We are behind you 200 percent. I hope you have some Kava to supplement your schedule. If it gets rough, post here. There are other people who have been there and done that and they may be able to help you. Know this, we are cheering you on like .... like I'm going for the Denver Broncos. It's your super bowl baby! Get'er done.

D

Deathrydar

Go Deathrydar, go. We are behind you 200 percent. I hope you have some Kava to supplement your schedule. If it gets rough, post here. There are other people who have been there and done that and they may be able to help you. Know this, we are cheering you on like .... like I'm going for the Denver Broncos. It's your super bowl baby! Get'er done.
Thanks, but like I was speaking about in a another thread, I read that drinking kava and taking benzos is very dangerous. I received my first delivery of kava today, but unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to wait to try it until next week, if I can get off of this Klonopin by then.

But thank you VERY MUCH for the support! Makes me smile and feel great when all I feel like is complete crap right now because of the withdrawal. :(

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Deleted User01 - too funny. I do that exact thing...after about 30 minutes of shopping my back starts to hurt and I get impatient. Insert candy + go to coffee shop + bring a book and I am good for a few hours :) I am happy, the wife is happy and all is good!