What's new

Mahalo

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
What a fantastic resource for all things Kava! Seems like a genuine, chill bunch of folks here.

Am starting to dabble with Kava, as I have recently quit using Alcohol and MJ.
Not for everyday use, but it is nice to have something safe, not habit forming (up for debate!?), and that exhibits reverse tolerance.

My first order was for a bit of each of Kumar's bestfijikava AAA products. They are certainly effective for me.
I think I will reorder more for the excellent value proposition.

However, after doing some reading I have ordered up a sampler of micronized products from GHK.
(Hoping the GHK products are worth the premium. Like the difference between Macro and Micro beers?)

I have been using a simple shaker bottle and filtering thru a tea strainer or cheesecloth. Last night, four TBS of BFK Waka put me out cold.

Do you clap over your kava while partaking?

All advice is welcome. Bula!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard, Guss!

GHK products are certainly worth the money. The micronized products in particular are expensive because the makas (coarse fibers) are removed, which can cause GI issues but have very low kavalactone content. So basically there is more kavalactones per pound with those.

EQ

Atman
Am starting to dabble with Kava, as I have recently quit using Alcohol and MJ.
Not for everyday use, but it is nice to have something safe, not habit forming (up for debate!?), and that exhibits reverse tolerance.
Even though Kava is amazing I have found it to be less mentally addicting than tea. There is just something about it that makes you not crave it. Probably the awful taste, long preparation if using medium grind, and inconsistency of effect.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
I've embraced my inner Wally, no shame here.
Anything that helps to keep the bad juju away is fine by me!

To answer a question, I first tried a simple tea strainer but this did not work for the more viscous kava. So I switched to some 200um polyester mesh I had lying around (cheap from the craft store). Yesterday I ordered some of the 75um nylon mesh bags based on some discussion I read here.

After spending lots of time at the Kavasseur blog, I ordered a few the highly-rated medium grind kavas from N@H. A few pounds of the good stuff and a pound of micronized coming from GHK.

Well, that escalated quickly.

I've ended up just mixing the three medium grind kavas from BFK. Looking forward to seeing how these premium products compare to the starter kava from bestfijikava. It seems like Kumar's products were talked about here a couple of years ago, but not much mention lately. Is there a story there?

I'm a quality over quantity type, so am open to recommendations for the very best kavas available for purchase in the US. Suggestions most welcome!

Bula!

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've embraced my inner Wally, no shame here.
Anything that helps to keep the bad juju away is fine by me!

To answer a question, I first tried a simple tea strainer but this did not work for the more viscous kava. So I switched to some 200um polyester mesh I had lying around (cheap from the craft store). Yesterday I ordered some of the 75um nylon mesh bags based on some discussion I read here.

After spending lots of time at the Kavasseur blog, I ordered a few the highly-rated medium grind kavas from N@H. A few pounds of the good stuff and a pound of micronized coming from GHK.

Well, that escalated quickly.

I've ended up just mixing the three medium grind kavas from BFK. Looking forward to seeing how these premium products compare to the starter kava from bestfijikava. It seems like Kumar's products were talked about here a couple of years ago, but not much mention lately. Is there a story there?

I'm a quality over quantity type, so am open to recommendations for the very best kavas available for purchase in the US. Suggestions most welcome!

Bula!
I tried Best Fiji Kava, and found it to be OK, but rather less potent than something like GHK. I have not tried N@H kavas. But I would expect both of those will be a good deal more potent than the BFK, so you will probably want to start out with a smaller amount of powder than you are used to.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The trouble is it's all very subjective. What works well for me may not be good for you. I recommended an instant kava to a new member a while ago and he was taking it by the bucket load and apparently getting no effect. That's odd to me because I need about 1 tablespoon to feel great. For what it's worth though there are some absolute favourites coming out over time that I would definitely always want to have on hand... Koro Island from GKE (Kava Europe), not sure if they got it from someone else? Vanuatu waka from kava kuaia and a few others.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Re strainers: I like to use doubled up ladies knee high stockings, because they have a nice "squishy" feeling when you knead them. [EDIT: What were you thinking past me? I don't use stockings in 2018 because they are not food safe...]

Recommended vendors: @Kalm with Kava , @CactusKava in addition to anything from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Nambawan from Bula Kava House is excellent as well.

Last edited:

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, Fellas!
Veteran psychonaut here. Start small and go slow is always good advice worth repeating!

Looking forward to trying the more potent GHK micronized products. I got this specifically because of the makas-removing process Chris has described. Excellent content posted by that gentleman. Truly, a labor of love. I support that!

4 tbs of BFKs Vanuatu was pretty sedating last night. After a few consecutive nights getting shellfaced, I do feel like I need a break.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Unless you are/were a raging alcoholic then a beer or two every now and then won't kill you. It's probably good for contrast to help you appreciate the kava more. For me the awesome thing is having the choice... do I want to get really relaxed, happy and potentially massaged by a nice strong kava and wake up feeling refreshed or do I want to poison my body with a toxic chemical, feel good for a little while and wake up feeling like crap? (despite that last sentence I do still drink quite often, more to do with my wife than me though) :)

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
My first Kava ordering binge has been delivered. I have two shells of GHK micronized boroguru on deck for this afternoon. Two heaping TBS in 16oz water. Expecting to get pretty darn hammered, as Apu would say.

Here are my acquisitions thus far, based on suggestions, reviews, astrological charts, and tea leaf reading...
From N@H:
Wow Kava
Stone Kava
Black Sand Kava

From GHK:
Micronized Boroguru, Mahakea, Moi, Nene

From Kavafied:
Vava'u, Tonga Kava Powder
Waka Fiji Kava Powder

Welcome any additional specific recommendations (as you can tell, I like em Krunky!).
I would be interested in trying anything that, in your opinion, has effects reminiscent to that of THC/Cannabis. (Presently abstaining for employment reasons.)

Reactions: EQ

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That's a tall order. Interestingly, yangonin has an affinity for the CB1 receptor, but we don't know exactly what it does. (The highest readily available yangonin concentration kava I believe would be Moi). Out of what you have, I'd recommend something like a mix of moi and stone. I don't think it will be anything like cannabis, but it will probably lay you out on the couch just the same.

For further suggestions, try a sample pack from KWK or Cactus Kava.

EQ

Atman
@GussWest
KWK Loa Waka has giving me the closest thing to Cannabis. I believe I mixed 60 grams to like 500 mL water and chugged it all in 1 minute. You get bricked out mate. Eating Nachos becomes eating Nachos while surfing. High stoned like aspects. Take the body high and and some of the goofiness. You won't be going off on thought tangents that THC promotes, but the dream like perception of reality can be mirrored with the proper strain and dose. Kava is different and amazing in it's way.

I drank some Loa Waka with my one friend who is a pothead, and he asked me to order him a bag. There is greatness in that strain I tell you.

Last edited:

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Holy Shnikies! What's going on in here?!
Coming back to Kava after a break, and finding out a bunch of drama and shenanigans have been going on in the Kava-sphere.
I don't know enough to take sides, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to believe right now.

I can't worry about all that. I'm still trying to use kava as medicine.
After falling off the wagon in Whiskeyville for awhile, I've been working toward getting back off the booze.
I'm a heavy drinker who rather enjoys it. My fear of the slippery slope is what has me tee-totaling again.

I'm at my best when using Kava for every day relaxation. I will still enjoy the occasional social libation; but am always careful in professional situations involving alcohol. Some lessons we gotta learn the hard way, eh?

Have kept a steady supply of kava here at home, and am shelling presently this evening. Styling in my Aluballin teeshirt.
Only thing I will need is a big bag of micronized for my extended work trips. Any particular ringers out right now?

Mahalo! Glad to be back on the beach krunkin' with you kind folk!