What's new

Kava Preparation making a finer grind

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
So I have a bag of kava here that isn't as fine as I want it to be. Feel like this is a dumb question but can I just toss it in a mini electric coffee grinder to get it down more? Or is there a better way to do it?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
A coffee or spice grinder could work, just be careful not to get the kava too hot.

Another option might be to trad prep the first wash using the powder kava as-is, then freeze the wet makas, thaw it, and throw it in a blender.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have tried using a blade and a burr grinder in the past....more just for experimentation. In the end it really wasn't worth my extra time and mess. What are you attempting to do? Just get it finer or go all the way to a homemade microgrind?

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Just getting it more fine from a medium grind that's a little watery at 2 TBL because I wanted a stronger drink without needing 3 shakes in the alu ball. I don't need to micro fine, never tried micro before but I don't feel I have a reason to either besides out of curiosity. Just dumping the extra fine root in water feels like it might be a little hard on the stomach.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
If you're willing to wait, try a ball mill. It'll produce a very fine powder without generating too much heat.

Could be something as simple as a clean rock tumbler filled with ball bearings. Load it up and let it run for a few days. Guaranteed micro!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_mill
Oh don't worry if my mini coffee bean grinder will do just fine then I'm in the clear. It's small but gets even the hardest beans down to size in little pulses so you don't have to worry about it getting anywhere near hot enough to ruin the kava. I mean my giant food processor I throw in 2 containers of peanuts in to make peanut butter after holding the pulse down most of the time doesn't even generate enough heat to destroy the good stuff in kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Oh don't worry if my mini coffee bean grinder will do just fine then I'm in the clear. It's small but gets even the hardest beans down to size in little pulses so you don't have to worry about it getting anywhere near hot enough to ruin the kava. I mean my giant food processor I throw in 2 containers of peanuts in to make peanut butter after holding the pulse down most of the time doesn't even generate enough heat to destroy the good stuff in kava.
Then go ahead and use the small blade grinder - which is what it sounds like you have. Just don't run it continuously. Small bursts will do just fine to chop it up.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I would think a mortar and pestle would be the best approach, just as easy and more traditional.

Here is a Molcajete from Mexico that looks an awful like a tanoa :)
molcajete.jpeg

Last edited:

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I would think a mortar and pestle would be the best approach, just as easy and more traditional.

Here is a Molcajete from Mexico that looks an awful like a tanoa :)
View attachment 8902
I should get one of those things and do it outside! Why didn't I think of that? Anyhow I did it in the mini coffee bean grinder and it was fine but just a pointer for anyone grinding down what's already a dry grind, wear a face mask and do it outside because it's super dusty and I don't think snorting kava is the healthiest thing in the world to do.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I should get one of those things and do it outside! Why didn't I think of that? Anyhow I did it in the mini coffee bean grinder and it was fine but just a pointer for anyone grinding down what's already a dry grind, wear a face mask and do it outside because it's super dusty and I don't think snorting kava is the healthiest thing in the world to do.
Well it can't be worse then the guy who asked if he could administer it where the sun don't shine. Why on earth he would want to have done that is beyond my comprehension. I mean I get it with some things that it would help absorption, but for crips sake man it does just fine going in the pie hole not the poop hole (and probably dangerous to boot). As far as dusty I have wondered about that when I have opened bags of microgrind and there is fine mist of kava. I try and avoid inhaling it as well. Dry plant matter can't be good for the lungs.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Blending medium grind in a blender with water will make it finer, the longer you blend it. I keep my blender blades nice and sharp with a piece of fine whetstone.

You can tell blending really does micronize some of the root. Start with ten tablespoons of fresh powder. Blend strain and squeeze, and the bag's only got six or eight tablespoons of wet makas in it.

Inhaling kava dust (through any bodily opening) is not recommended.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
@Zaphod , a person wanted to do a kava colonic? Ha! If it makes a person poop going into the piehole.... I can only imagine what would happen on the other end. Perhaps a strong constipation cure?