What's new

Making some Kava ahead of time (how long before the brew gets nasty?)

ncpenn

My question is what about making some traditional prep and then not using it for 3 or so hours?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on that. Does anyone do that, or do you always prep and then drink more or less immediately?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My question is what about making some traditional prep and then not using it for 3 or so hours?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on that. Does anyone do that, or do you always prep and then drink more or less immediately?
3 or so hours is fine, even unrefrigerated, though much better if kept refrigerated. Only thing is the silky sediment will settle to the bottom so before drinking the grog you need to stir it well or shake it well with a lid that doesn't leak all over the kitchen, or so this has been explained to me on numerable occasions.

Sometimes we make a big batch that will last 2 or even 3 days in the fridge, makes for a nice weekend.

D

Deleted User01

What Krunkie said. I usually do micro but I made a big batch of Kumakua poweder on Sunday and drank it for 3 days. I put the kava in those 16oz lock tab beer bottles. I use coconut water to mask the taste. It does get funky tasting as time goes by but convenience is at a premium with me. It comes in handy when the wife announces, "my family will be here in 10 minutes. Gulp, gulp, gulp."

Zaphod

Kava Lover

No issue with 3 hours. I have stored it sealed up in a mason jar in the fridge for 2-3 days. The problem I have is I will make up 2 days worth....and somehow it is gone by the end of the night. o_O

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
What Krunkie said. I usually do micro but I made a big batch of Kumakua poweder on Sunday and drank it for 3 days. I put the kava in those 16oz lock tab beer bottles. I use coconut water to mask the taste. It does get funky tasting as time goes by but convenience is at a premium with me. It comes in handy when the wife announces, "my family will be here in 10 minutes. Gulp, gulp, gulp."
Lol. My wife has a nice family that we see often, but they are bery genteel , cups of tea and very small talk. I knock down some kava whenever they are coming and it really helps me in conversations about shoes or new bed linen lol.