What's new

Maori kava (not real kava ;)) pictures

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A few months ago I wrote a quick post about the so-called Maori kava, i.e. kawakawa. I do realize it is a different plant, but it has a rather interesting connection to kava:

"The two plants do not only have similar names, but also look similar. Is this just a coincidence or are the two plants related and their similar names tell us something about the Maori knowledge about kava?
Dr Vincent Lebot, the author of "Kava: The Pacific Elixir: The Definitive Guide to Its Ethnobotany, History, and Chemistry" (a truly excellent book) argues that in all likelihood the kava plant was known to the first settlers of Aotearoa. It is also possible that (just like the Polynesian migrants that settled in Hawaii) the Maori explorers brought some kava with them. Unfortunately, most of New Zealand is simply too cold for growing kava and hence the Maori settlers lost their connection to the sacred plant. However, some traces of the memories of kava drinking have survived.

According to Dr Lebot: "In New Zealand, where the climate is too cold for kava, the Maori gave the name kawa-kawa to another Piperaceae, M. excelsum, in memory of the kava plants they undoubtedly brought with them and unsuccessfully attempted to cultivate. The Maori word kawa also means "ceremonial protocol", recalling the stylized consumption of the drug typical of Polynesian societies".

Kawakawa is related to kava, but unlike its tropic cousin, it doesn't have the famous relaxing properties. However, it has traditionally been used for various medicinal and practical purposes. According to Te Papa Museum: "Kawakawa has been recorded as being used internally to tone the kidneys and help with stomach problems. Externally it was used for cuts, wounds, boils, abscesses, and nettle stings. It was also used for rheumatism and other aches and pains including toothache. When kawakawa is thrown on a campfire and burnt it reputedly keeps mosquitoes away."

Kawakawa is an extremely common plant in New Zealand. In fact it grows right by my house and by my office. Last Friday I decided to take a few pictures of the plants growing close to my office:

kawakawa.png

kawakawa2.png

As you can tell, it's a bit similar to our good old kava. Unfortunately it has no kavalactones. On the bright side, one doesn't have to kill it in order to benefit from its healing properties. It's enough to get a few leaves to prepare a very refreshing tea (great for stomach upsets) or to make a special lotion/cream. The kawakawa cream seems to be quite effective for skin infections/dry skin and even kava dermo. I know that @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava 's tried some, have you found it to be effective?

Last edited by a moderator:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I reckon the Maori maybe gave up on it because it would not thrive, as opposed to being completely impossible to grow. It probably would survive in Northland, Coromandel, Auckland, Bay of Plenty. But I expect it would not get big enough to be worth bothering with.
Interesting that kawakawa leaves = OK but kava leaves = not OK!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I reckon the Maori maybe gave up on it because it would not thrive, as opposed to being completely impossible to grow. It probably would survive in Northland, Coromandel, Auckland, Bay of Plenty. But I expect it would not get big enough to be worth bothering with.
Interesting that kawakawa leaves = OK but kava leaves = not OK!
Perhaps the waka carrying kava cuttings landed in Wellington or some other place with dreadful winds and low temp?;)

Yes, interesting about the leaves! Though if I remember it correctly kava leaves can also be used for some medicinal purposes? Some people also make a weak, sleep inducing tea from kava leaves (probably not the best idea!)

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Super interesting! As an anthropologist, I find this kind of stuff so fascinating. I would imagine they have tested the roots for kavalactones? The bush itself doesn't scream "Kava" but the stems and leaves certainly do. The linguistic connection is particularly fascinating.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Perhaps the waka carrying kava cuttings landed in Wellington or some other place with dreadful winds and low temp?;)

Yes, interesting about the leaves! Though if I remember it correctly kava leaves can also be used for some medicinal purposes? Some people also make a weak, sleep inducing tea from kava leaves (probably not the best idea!)
Wasn't the Otago Peninsula one of the earliest large settlements? Apparently it was warmer back then, but kava would probably still die there!
I suspect kava, like all tropical plants, will be destroyed by even a light frost. It probably hangs on for dear life somewhere like Wellington which is frost free but otherwise far too cold. In the far north, the average winter temperature should be high enough that it can actually grow somewhat....but maybe it would take twice as long, which means 10+ years for a harvestable plant - if that's the case I can see why they would give up on it!
(I also wonder why they gave up on rice, which again, should grow.....)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , what is the highest elevation you've seen kava of harvestable size in Hawaii?
I used to grow some kava at the 2500 foot elevation but it did not do well, it grew slow and the wind would force a long internode kava to revert to a short internode kava, for example if I planted a Hiwa that likes to grow tall then after spending some time in the wind it would start sending out short internode stalks that look like Moi. If I took cuttings from that plant and grew it in a normal area then it would go back to a tall Hiwa. Kava does not like cold and high winds or even high elevations. Aloha.

Chris

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I say...crush some of it's root and mix it up! What's the worst that could happen? (famous last words)

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I used to grow some kava at the 2500 foot elevation but it did not do well, it grew slow and the wind would force a long internode kava to revert to a short internode kava, for example if I planted a Hiwa that likes to grow tall then after spending some time in the wind it would start sending out short internode stalks that look like Moi. If I took cuttings from that plant and grew it in a normal area then it would go back to a tall Hiwa. Kava does not like cold and high winds or even high elevations. Aloha.

Chris
Thanks Chris. @Henry @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Hawaii is damp enough that the temperature on average would fall 0.6C per 100m. So if 2500ft elevation would be around 500m higher than Kurtistown. That would make Chris' high elevation sites have an average temperature of maybe 17C* during the coldest month. Quite a few assumptions in this. But, that's still a good 5C warmer than the coldest month at low elevations in Northland. Even Raoul Island would be marginal for this and would probably grow kava but not great kava.
I don't think we can say for sure "kava would die in Northland" but it would not be at all happy, surely not harvestable, so now I can see why they would have given up on it.

*Incidentally, a tropical climate is defined (kind of arbitrarily) as having above 18C mean temperature in its coldest month. This is why Hong Kong, inside the tropics, does not have a tropical climate. So Chris' high elevation site actually would fall just into some kind of very warm variety of subtropical climate, and clearly his kava was not happy there.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have grown kava at the 2000 foot elevation and it does grow, this area did not have the strong winds like my other area in Waimea. Here in Mountain View it actually does get cold like in Waimea, last week it got down to 53 degrees, that is like 10 degrees below freezing for Hawaii. :LOL:
The thing is that the cold does not last long, it is only like that at night and early morning. I have heard of some kava growing at the 3000 foot elevation in the Kona side but I never saw any of those plants and it was only what I heard. I know kava does like the warm weather, in cold weather the kava will grow slower. Kava does not like the wind unless it is a short internode variety. Kava does like water but does not like a wet environment like if it were raining all the time, this will cause fungus to attack the kava.
Tests have shown that the sunshine will increase the kavalactone content but the kava has to be old enough to handle the sun, if not then the kava will not grow good and some will actually die. It takes a lot to grow good kava and after so many years of doing this, I have found a lot of ways to make the kava grow big and strong and potent.
Aloha nui loa.

Chris

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Thank you for the fascinating info. Much of NZ gets a lot of rain and very strong winds do yes, I am not surprised that apparently the Maori settlers failed to successfully farm it here. Provided they actually brought it with them and not lost their cuttings on the way from Rarotonga! It's not like they could easily travel back across the ocean to get more cuttings (if I am correct, other Polynesians often travelled between different islands, but NZ had been pretty much isolated from the other settlements until it was "discovered" by the Europeans.

But I do agree it is possible to grow kava in some parts in NZ (but probably not where @vorticity lives, I am afraid). I am actually going to visit a guy who reportedly grows some kava south of Auckland (close to Raglan) in a couple of weeks (@vorticity feel free to come along :)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Tests have shown that the sunshine will increase the kavalactone content but the kava has to be old enough to handle the sun, if not then the kava will not grow good and some will actually die.
What a lot of farmers do in Fiji is plant the kava under a raintree forest. When the plants are 1.5-2 years old, the raintrees are gradually ring-barked, essentially killing them off very slowly. What happens is that the trees drop their leaves over many months, giving the kava time to adapt to the eventual 100% sun.
The last two years of full sun give the kava a good kavalactone boost. Eventually the branches start falling off the raintrees too, and that's when you know it's time to harvest your kava... before the branches cause too much damage.