What's new

Kava Side Effects Medium Grind causing sickening symptoms? (Cactus Kava)

Hey guys, so this is my first post as I'm relatively new to the Kava game. So I'm gonna include a tiny back story: I stopped drinking a long time ago, never touch it. I other natural things (not gonna list as I'm sure there's a rule for that) but one in particular I did, is pretty close to kava so should be fine, K@. I used this for many issues and it helped in many ways. But it became too heavily physically addicting. I pretty much had to have it but when I took it I could focus and do things I like, but it started to cost some of my emotion. So all that together, I decided I need to depart ways with it. With that, came the Withdrawels, so I wanted something to help with that.

Enter Kava. I stumbled upon it and it seemed like a similar type of plant that offered similar benefits, without the addiction and targeting different receptors. I take adderall, so I like having something NATURAL for the crash (so many people suggest other pharms like xanax..lol). And just for general use for focus on days I don't take it. My first purchase was a bag of micronized Loa Lawena from Cactus Kava. I wanted the quickness without the hassle of straining and all that. Right away, I noticed it tasted much worse but with the right dose, felt nice. However, some slight stomach discomfort. I noticed the effects faded quickly, however. I read that it's still a lot of material so that could be the issue. So my next try was to buy some medium grind and strain it so there's very little material.

Actual Question:
Well, here starts the issues. I learn the processes. Use the included strainer to kneed in hot water and create a grog of milky almond colored substance, just as it's meant to be. I try with lower dose to work my way up. My first drinks produced a very mild feeling, followed by..worse discomfort. So much so it was hard to want to try it again. The effect produced was tiny and very short lived. IN a matter of 10 minutes it was gone. I proceed to keep trying. Each time adding more and more to more water and less water. And everytime I have noticed, as I'm trying to relax, I end up getting a terrible headache, followed by the shittiest body feeling as if I've come down with a fever. It becomes hard to sleep, I pee nonstop.

My first thought was dehydration of course. So every time I always drank PLENTY of water. I ate a little before sometimes, did it on empty stomach others, ate after in other tests. No matter what, the result seems to be the same. Working to make a drink that tastes TERRIBLE that instantly makes my stomach upset and produces SOMETIMES a pleasurable effect but then very quickly dissipates into nothing and then from nothing into feeling like total shit. I had expected medium grind to produce less of these side effects and more pronounced feeling but it never happens. I have went the entire period without taking any of my medication to feel it soley itself. Same effect. I then last night took some to see if maybe it was me NOT taking my adderall that was causing it somehow, still the same effect.

I'm really not sure what the issue is or what is to be done. I have gone through an entire bag in a matter of a few days and it feels like I spent $35 dollars to have a headache and stomach pain. Which, my money situation isn't the best right now. So every little bit matters. At this point, I really wish I got the micronized instead because even though it had some discomfort it was far less than this and the effects were noticeable. I'm even about to try and just toss and wash it just to see if I can get some effect out of it this way that's more than the side effect.

Sorry for the wall of text guys. I tend to over explain, which I know I did here. But I feel a fleshed out explanation covers more bases.

Also, a quick ninja edit here: The "numbing" sensation that normally comes with the micronized and as everyone explains, is nonexistent in this batch. I feel literally no numbing no matter how much material I use.

TL;DR: Bought some Cactus Kava Loa Lawena medium grind to reduce material intake for possibly smoother experience. Ended up with worse gastric problems and terrible headaches that makes it impossible to sleep and requires taking ibuprofen to get over.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It could be the effect of withdrawing from Adderall while drinking kava, it could be the effect of taking Adderall in the same day as kava.
Having an amphetamine in your system regularly would surely work against the effects of kava. But even if that has nothing to do with your issue, finding the right strains of kava and doses/prep methods that work best for YOU is often a personal journey that isn't the same for everyone and requires some patience & persistence. A lot of new users experience a period where kava effects seem short lived...and only those that continue experimenting eventually find out how good it can be. Some small fraction of people may simply be biologically incapable of ever getting there, but that's typically not the case. Some people are lucky and get the most ideal and positive experiences right from the start, others might take a month of consistent attempts. The nausea/stomach discomfort is unfortunately just part of the game, and again, different people are more/less sensitive to it than others.

I'd say, try some more varieties of kava, hydrate throughout the day, you don't necessarily need to be glugging down a bunch of extra water alongside your kava. Don't eat for at least 4 hours before drinking kava. Try to be tapered off any other drugs, meds and alcohol when you drink kava. Get good sturdy nylon strainer bags of different "micron" sizes, for example 75 micron and 100 micron.

Last edited:
That's the thing, adderall presents no WD to me. When I got the kava in the mail I was feeling good. Completely normal. Further, this specific strain from this specific vendor I have already had, just in a micronized form. Which, I had within a week prior to the medium grind AND had been taking my adderall. And still got better results.

Also, I kind of added it at the last minute a second ago. But, with this medium grind I do not experience ANY of the numbing sensation i did with the micro. Maybe a very slight bit. But just barely noticeable.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That's the thing, adderall presents no WD to me. When I got the kava in the mail I was feeling good. Completely normal. Further, this specific strain from this specific vendor I have already had, just in a micronized form. Which, I had within a week prior to the medium grind AND had been taking my adderall. And still got better results.

Also, I kind of added it at the last minute a second ago. But, with this medium grind I do not experience ANY of the numbing sensation i did with the micro. Maybe a very slight bit. But just barely noticeable.
Adderall and kava don't mix well, in reading your first post you mentioned using it to be more focused? Presumably you don't use it for it's intended purpose? Not judging you rather trying to figure out why you are looking for natural alternative for the adderall crash.

So you know of the potential side effects from kava, as you have already experienced some of them. Adderall has very similar (but much more potent) side effects compared to kava.

https://www.rxlist.com/adderall-side-effects-drug-center.htm

My personal opinion is to find an alternative to the adderall and then explore kava, combining them is likely the cause of your increased side effects.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
in addition to the having a little 'clearance' from the Adderall before trying again, I'd mix up how you're consuming as much as possible until you work out where your kava groove is. There is no one way to take kava. For instance, I have one single session a day, and I can chug as much as I like in that single session. If I split that same amount into two sessions, even if the second sesh is 8 hours later, I get nausea, headaches and zero effects from the second session. For some, eating a small fatty meal half an hour after consuming can kick up the effects and help nausea. For others, it totally kills the vibe (me!).
I always have some stomach discomfort, too, and take micro. I need quite a large dose to feel the effects. Kava has helped me have enough of a break in my day to be able to come off other meds, so I just pay that price.

Adderall and kava don't mix well, in reading your first post you mentioned using it to be more focused? Presumably you don't use it for it's intended purpose? Not judging you rather trying to figure out why you are looking for natural alternative for the adderall crash.

So you know of the potential side effects from kava, as you have already experienced some of them. Adderall has very similar (but much more potent) side effects compared to kava.

https://www.rxlist.com/adderall-side-effects-drug-center.htm

My personal opinion is to find an alternative to the adderall and then explore kava, combining them is likely the cause of your increased side effects.
Sorry, been busy recently. Just now able to reply.

As I've said, I went a while without taking any adderall before taking Kava. As in about a week. Which is plenty of time. I kind of wish I didn't mention the Adderall as I knew it would bring about this response even with detailing not taking it before trying kava. Also, you said "using it for focus" and "presumably don't use it for intended purposes". Focus is the intended purpose and is what I'm prescribed it for. I do have adhd. The kava was an option for the crash BUT I'm not newbie to the ...substance game. I understand interactions very well hence me stopping my adderall usage well before receiving the kava. But further, as I said, the micronized I got before, I DIDN'T stop my adderall usage and experienced MUCH better effects. So all my experience indicates adderall is NOT the cause of these issues.

in addition to the having a little 'clearance' from the Adderall before trying again, I'd mix up how you're consuming as much as possible until you work out where your kava groove is. There is no one way to take kava. For instance, I have one single session a day, and I can chug as much as I like in that single session. If I split that same amount into two sessions, even if the second sesh is 8 hours later, I get nausea, headaches and zero effects from the second session. For some, eating a small fatty meal half an hour after consuming can kick up the effects and help nausea. For others, it totally kills the vibe (me!).
I always have some stomach discomfort, too, and take micro. I need quite a large dose to feel the effects. Kava has helped me have enough of a break in my day to be able to come off other meds, so I just pay that price.
That's kind of my goal. I like to limit any meds. I ONLY take adderall and it doesn't have much problems other than the crash can be shitty. When I had the micronized kava, I took it after the crash came on and totally made me feel ok. I expected that more so with medium grind due to less raw material ingested and a "cleaner" effect but it feels way, way dirtier.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sorry, been busy recently. Just now able to reply.

As I've said, I went a while without taking any adderall before taking Kava. As in about a week. Which is plenty of time. I kind of wish I didn't mention the Adderall as I knew it would bring about this response even with detailing not taking it before trying kava. Also, you said "using it for focus" and "presumably don't use it for intended purposes". Focus is the intended purpose and is what I'm prescribed it for. I do have adhd. The kava was an option for the crash BUT I'm not newbie to the ...substance game. I understand interactions very well hence me stopping my adderall usage well before receiving the K@. But further, as I said, the micronized I got before, I DIDN'T stop my adderall usage and experienced MUCH better effects. So all my experience indicates adderall is NOT the cause of these issues.
I apologize for misunderstanding your original post, I obviously didn't read it right. :) So it's an interesting dilemma, maybe try using instant kava or kava candies as an alternative. You can get the kava candy on amazon or here. As far as instants go, GHK, KWK & BKH all have them.

I apologize for misunderstanding your original post, I obviously didn't read it right. :) So it's an interesting dilemma, maybe try using instant kava or kava candies as an alternative. You can get the kava candy on amazon or here. As far as instants go, GHK, KWK & BKH all have them.
You're good. I understand I overtype a lot so confusing some details probably comes easily with so much text. Is there a specific shop you recommend for instant? Is it better than micronized from Cactus ?

Also, how would you say those candies compare to the bagged varieties found from the mentioned shops? And the capsules on amazon recommended as well, are they a gimmick? I see some 700 MG capsules that seem well reviewed, but I know how people can THINK they're getting good herb from a large source like amazon but not be aware of the much better supply from private sellers.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
You're good. I understand I overtype a lot so confusing some details probably comes easily with so much text. Is there a specific shop you recommend for instant? Is it better than micronized from Cactus ?
Honestly all three vendors are excellent, I suppose it depends on the sort result you're looking for, kava ranges from heady/euphoric to heavy and sedating/stoney.
Check some reviews out before deciding. you can use this reference tool for a quick snap shot.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/pages/ProductReference/?mode=html

Also, how would you say those candies compare to the bagged varieties found from the mentioned shops? And the capsules on amazon recommended as well, are they a gimmick? I see some 700 MG capsules that seem well reviewed, but I know how people can THINK they're getting good herb from a large source like amazon but not be aware of the much better supply from private sellers.
for me they are a nice supplement to kava, on the go if I chew a few candies (3-4), it definitely takes the edge off, but I prefer root and it will always be stronger than any extract or candy.

Other forms of kava, like supplements are a waste of money.

Honestly all three vendors are excellent, I suppose it depends on the sort result you're looking for, kava ranges from heady/euphoric to heavy and sedating/stoney.
Check some reviews out before deciding. you can use this reference tool for a quick snap shot.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/pages/ProductReference/?mode=html

for me they are a nice supplement to kava, on the go if I chew a few candies (3-4), it definitely takes the edge off, but I prefer root and it will always be stronger than any extract or candy.

Other forms of kava, like supplements are a waste of money.
I'm purely going for heady varieties with the least amount of sedation as possible. Maybe SOME balance in a relaxed/warm feeling type sedation but not full on couch lock.

And wow. Thank you for sharing that site. That was exactly what I was looking for lol. That's beautiful.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm purely going for heady varieties with the least amount of sedation as possible. Maybe SOME balance in a relaxed/warm feeling type sedation but not full on couch lock.
Heady kavas;
From GHK I would try Moi, Mahakea and maybe Nene.
From KWK Pouni Ono & Samoa.
BKH this one.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm thinking Gourmet Hawaiian Kava seems to offer more of what I'm looking for, whether the different forms matter (instant, micro or traditional) is another question.
Yeah eventually we all settle on a few favorites, GHK is an excellent start, Moi is probably the best for me, I bought some instant and had my first real krunk, after wasting 10 days taking supplements, it was quite magical.