What's new

Micronesian Sakau

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm working in Chuuk, Micronesia now, and whilst I brought a supply of Bir Kar with me, have been trying out the local Sakau. In Chuuk this is basically imported dry Fiji or Vanuatu kava but prepared by mixing with inner bark from the hibscus tree (in Pohnpei state thay have fresh kava but not so much in Chuuk as it is more of an alcohol/betel/weed island - traditionally there was no kava here).
The use of hibiscus bark makes the kava thick (consistency of single cream) and a little slimy, and suspends all the fines rather than letting them settle in the bowl. I was expecting a change in flavour but there is no real difference other than the consistency.
It is prepared commercially by only one man on Weno (main island of Chuuk atoll) who sells a 400ml bottle for US$3 - 2 bottles is enough for a work night, 4 bottles on a weekend. You knock on his door and give him the money, and he wanders off out back, and returns after 5 minutes with the bottles - there is no kava bar/nakamal to drink in.
One guy at work says he can source green kava from Fefan island about 6km offshore so hopefully that works out soon.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
I've always wanted to try Sakau from Micronesia. I've seen videos of people preparing and drinking it on YouTube.
We have a large Micronesian community here and I've only heard of them getting Sakau out this way only once but I was a little too late to get my hands on it as they only had small amount.