What's new

Kava Recipe Micronized Kava, how to prepare?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
What I've been doing with the micronized is to put some lemon juice in a cup, add the kava and mix it till everything is good and wet. Then I add ginger ale (or more recently tart cherry juice) and stir til blended. I find if I just mix it (or worse yet, shake it), the drink has a head (like a root beer float--not quite what I want from my kava).

D

Deleted User01

Kimmer, I like my Ginger Ale Kava drink to be carbonated. I add the micronized, lime juice (tart cherry sounds good), and a few ozs of Ginger Ale. Then I stir it for a while until everything is mixed. At this point, there is no carbonation in the drink. So I add ice, and carefully pour more Ginger Ale into the glass, and stick a spoon in it. I use about 2 tablespoons of Micronized (on instant) Kava so I can sip that sucker at my desk in the afternoon for about 1 to 1.5 hours. It's like a mid day coffee break, but with kava. One more thing, you can use Club Soda instead of Ginger Ale to cut down on the sugar. What kind of tart cherry juice did you get? What brand? That sounds very interesting. I think that I would try the tart cherry juice with club soda. I'll bet that would look cool with a light colored kava.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I started with your ginger ale recipe--adding lemon/lime really cuts through the taste of the kava (yeah, I'm a wimp). Maybe I didn't stir long enough to get rid of the head.
I use Gosling's Diet ginger ale--not sure if that's as strong as the Reeds, but I like it.
The brand of tart cherry juice I'm using is Lakewood Organic. It was $2 cheaper than the "just cherry" stuff. Even the light kavas look muddy with the juice, but I can overlook that. Just mixed me up my new instant Nene. Can't wait to try it out.

D

Deleted User01

Hey, @Kimmer, ain't nobody like the taste of kava, :eek: that's why we have so many recipes for kava drinks. :LOL: Any Ginger Ale is good in my book and diet sounds good. I worry about the extra sugar. The Kava Grog will never look good in a drink unless you add something purple and dark. With instant and Micronized, you have a fighting change for a decent color. Nene is about as light as it gets so let us know how the Nene Instant looks when you add the cherry stuff. Ginger Ale is too light to mask the color. Anything purple or red will do the trick (pomegranate, grape, cranberry, some kind of combo, etc.). I made a kava kalada with Papa Kea which was reasonable looking and very tasty. Cheers! I mean Bula!

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I did just the lemon/ginger ale tonight. It turned out really good but, as you know, you gotta leave your spoon (I use a fork) in there to keep it stirred. Even if it sat a minute, there's definitely a line between ginger ale and kava. All in all, probably the tastiest kava drink I've had (besides Kalm). I liked the Nene and will give it a thorough review this weekend.

blindy107

Kava Lover
If you can find it in your area, Amy's ginger beer is by far the spiciest I've had. It's lemony as well. I think she's in downtown seattle so might be tough to acquire.