What's new

Micronized, method of preparation

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Since most of the Kava I use is Micronized from KWK, i've noticed a very big difference in the results of different preparation methods. If you simply add it to water and mix it with a spoon, or put it in a Shaker Bottle prior to drinking it, the result is very bitter and there a residue left behind that is too horrible tasting to drink, but if you put the Kava and water in a blender, and blend it at high speed for about 30 seconds, the result is smooth, thick, and not at all bitter. There is also no residue left at the bottom that you can't drink. Its also a very much more powerful experience.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Since most of the Kava I use is Micronized from KWK, i've noticed a very big difference in the results of different preparation methods. If you simply add it to water and mix it with a spoon, or put it in a Shaker Bottle prior to drinking it, the result is very bitter and there a residue left behind that is too horrible tasting to drink, but if you put the Kava and water in a blender, and blend it at high speed for about 30 seconds, the result is smooth, thick, and not at all bitter. There is also no residue left at the bottom that you can't drink. Its also a very much more powerful experience.
Interesting, AZcat! how much kava and water are you using?
I use very high doses of the micronized--challenging 'kava receptors'--so I'm thinking I'd have to use quite a bit of water in the blender to keep it from being sludge. I had one bad experience where I blended a small amount of water for a couple of minutes and it heated the brew. Unpalatable (more so than usual). That was traditional, though, which made straining tough. Never thought to try micro, which is what I usually use as well.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Interesting, AZcat! how much kava and water are you using?
I use very high doses of the micronized--challenging 'kava receptors'--so I'm thinking I'd have to use quite a bit of water in the blender to keep it from being sludge. I had one bad experience where I blended a small amount of water for a couple of minutes and it heated the brew. Unpalatable (more so than usual). That was traditional, though, which made straining tough. Never thought to try micro, which is what I usually use as well.
I use two heaped teaspoons (Kitchen Teaspoons, not special measuring ones) with about 300ml room temperature spring water per serving. I usually drink two servings. Its also much better on an empty stomach.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
By blending you are getting some water extraction in addition to the ingested micro. Sounds like a great way to get some of the benefits of each consumption method to me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw this was also my experience with instants (I have no experience with micros). Much better to blend with a device.