What's new

Micronized prep tips

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
so I have some kwk borogu micronized. I get decent effects, but I really have to choke down some nasty stuff. The texture and taste are tough to take. I've tried chocolate milk, hot chocolate and a couple of juices - all pretty gross as prepped.

Anyone have a go to for mixing micronized? Would also be interested in how many teaspoons and liquid volume you use. I have seen almond milk used with kava. That one is no good for me since I have an allergic child and won't keep that stuff in the house.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

D

Deleted User01

:DHere is my technique:
You need one of those tiny plastic Dixie cups that my wife puts in the bathrooms and 1/2 of a chopstick.
Put 1 tablespoon in the cup, fill with water, stir with a chopstick and stir it a while to get it in solution.
Take 2 quick gulps.
Wash your mouth out and gargle.
Drink some fresh water.
There, you're cured.

Bottom line, it's gonna be nasty so make it quick and wash out your mouth. Then sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The Dixie cup method is very good. If you hate the taste as much as me, I would recommend using the least amount of liquid to be able to gulp it down without gagging. Something with some sweetness but as thin as possible so it will go down quickly. I will usually use half water/half fruit juice when I drink micro. I really like coconut milk as a chaser. It coats your mouth and tongue and for me, it completely removes the kava taste if used after.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Don't taste it drink as fast as you can. Hold your nose and slam it. It pretty much ruins anything I've ever mixed it with so like many have said reduce the amount of liquid you have to drink and have a chaser near by. You will get to the point where that taste means good things and actually look forward to it. Pineapple and citrus make great chasers though I don't use them anymore ( I started drinking Kava around 2000).

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Don't taste it drink as fast as you can. Hold your nose and slam it. It pretty much ruins anything I've ever mixed it with so like many have said reduce the amount of liquid you have to drink and have a chaser near by. You will get to the point where that taste means good things and actually look forward to it. Pineapple and citrus make great chasers though I don't use them anymore ( I started drinking Kava around 2000).
Put it in the smallest plastic storage jar with a lid that you have. I use an 8 oz. One that I got at dollar tree. Put in desired amount of powder. For me, that is 2 TBSP. Add 1 tbsp of half and half or equivalent high fat beverage. Add 2 TBSP cold, cold water. Add a dash of ginger as an anti emetic.Close lid. Shake your groove thing until lumps are out. Set out a chaser of something carbonated and strong flavored. For me, that is diet Dr pepper. Close eyes, hold nose, think of England. Chug that mother down. Rinse mouth. Exhale. Chug Dr. Pepper. Repeat once oe twice . Chill and contemplate the wonders of the holographic multiverse or just look into your navel. Repeat at 20 to 40 minute intervals....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks all. So basically it's hopelessly disgusting! It works, but it is tough to choke down. It is a good thing to have on hand for an emergency. My go to chaser for all things kava is orange Gatorade or vitamin water, sugar free.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Personally for me I have a hard time drinking micro kavas. It’s not as much as the taste as it is the texture, plus I always use quite a bit. Even when I do get it down it still tends to bother my stomach on occasion to some degree.

Regular Kava on the other hand I often enjoy the flavor of or at least don’t mind.

When I do drink Micro I do what others suggested and just chug! I opt for as little water as possible but just enough that the grog doesn’t seem too gritty. You can use more liquid which will make it taste better and less grit but that just means you are drinking more of it for the same effects. Not really a win win there but once it’s down it’s smooth sailing.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Personally for me I have a hard time drinking micro kavas. It’s not as much as the taste as it is the texture, plus I always use quite a bit. Even when I do get it down it still tends to bother my stomach on occasion to some degree.
I quite agree, Dr. Krunk...something about the micro reminds me of drinking a flour-and-water paste the neighborhood bully made me swallow when I was a five-year-old kid. It's the consistency! Although, KWK's Damu micro tasted so good and chocolaty that I barely noticed the consistency.
:)

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Thanks all. So basically it's hopelessly disgusting! It works, but it is tough to choke down. It is a good thing to have on hand for an emergency. My go to chaser for all things kava is orange Gatorade or vitamin water, sugar free.
Good stuff. Oh, and if you use my recipe, I mistyped. I add 4 TBSP of water...not 2 TBSP...you'd get wallpaper paste with 2 TBSP...

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Micro is by far the worst tasting. Have you tried any instants? It's easier to hide some of the taste with them.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Micro is by far the worst tasting. Have you tried any instants? It's easier to hide some of the taste with them.
Thanks. I think I agree with you. The texture is a big part of what kills me! I just placed an order for some instant from ghk. I have never tried an instant. I didn't realize there was difference between instant and micronized. Having something quick and easy would be very handy for travel, or just any emergency when regular prep is unavailable!

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast

Regular Kava on the other hand I often enjoy the flavor of or at least don’t mind.

When I do drink Micro I do what others suggested and just chug! I opt for as little water as possible but just enough that the grog doesn’t seem too gritty. You can use more liquid which will make it taste better and less grit but that just means you are drinking more of it for the same effects. Not really a win win there but once it’s down it’s smooth sailing.
Yes - texture! Choking it down is awful and the grit is tough to wash away. Also the micro is the only kava so far that bothers my stomach. I have not had any stomach upset from good old grog. But a good dose of micro and my stomach feels way off.

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
i just can't seem to deal with the stomach issues i get from micro.. it's not about the quality of the product.. it's just i don't do well with lots of fiber and that's essentially what it's like. i've tried blending micro and using the finest strainers i can multiple times to clean it out.. but a: it's too much trouble and b: i always end up still getting some particles in it. plus i wonder how much goodness i'm loosing from not drinking all the stuff i filter out. if i was a scientist (or just smarter hah) i would figure out how to extract all the good kavalactones from every little root particle. i mean it HAS to be possible (without using weird stuff like acetone or alcohol.. if that's how people do it). i've heard it can be done "sonically" but i don't know what that is. ah well guess i'll just stick to med grind for now