What's new

Micronized vs. Medium Grind x Frequency

Querencia

Longtime kava drinker, first-time poster. I'm in Canada, where kava has been (or at least used to be) legal to import for personal use, but illegal to sell. I use it for anxiety and consume a lot of it--my average brew is a half-cup of medium grind per litre of water, and i'll drink a pint of that at a go. So Often I'll consume a cup or more of medium-grind powder per day, and i like it strong--Bula's nambawan has been my go-to on that front.

A couple of years ago, I began ordering wholesale micronized lateral root from Kava King, and the effect was impressive. I liked not having to go through the process of preparing it each time, but dermatitis became an issue early and often. Consuming 1+ teaspoons of micronized lateral root four or five times a day made eye-swelling, skin-scaling, gnarly ingrown hairs, and heavy flaking an offputting reality. BUT it was also way cheaper than going with medium grind.

Still, I started to think it would be less gross overall to go back to medium, even though I'm on a limited income. Bought two pounds of Boronguru from Kalm with Kava and was dispirited to see I was through it in about two weeks.

I've started to wonder whether my problem is I just can't afford it, but I wanted to see how much other people use it, and whether there's something I'm missing (for example I never do second washes and reading the forum is making me rethink that).

So how much do you consume, and do you find it's expensive? Do you find it's more economical to consume micronized? Is it worth the dermatitis? I'm sure if you've got a good income it's not that hard to indulge in, but for those of us with more limited means, especially with the cost to ship to Canada, it stacks up quickly.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Longtime kava drinker, first-time poster. I'm in Canada, where kava has been (or at least used to be) legal to import for personal use, but illegal to sell. I use it for anxiety and consume a lot of it--my average brew is a half-cup of medium grind per litre of water, and i'll drink a pint of that at a go. So Often I'll consume a cup or more of medium-grind powder per day, and i like it strong--Bula's nambawan has been my go-to on that front.

A couple of years ago, I began ordering wholesale micronized lateral root from Kava King, and the effect was impressive. I liked not having to go through the process of preparing it each time, but dermatitis became an issue early and often. Consuming 1+ teaspoons of micronized lateral root four or five times a day made eye-swelling, skin-scaling, gnarly ingrown hairs, and heavy flaking an offputting reality. BUT it was also way cheaper than going with medium grind.

Still, I started to think it would be less gross overall to go back to medium, even though I'm on a limited income. Bought two pounds of Boronguru from Kalm with Kava and was dispirited to see I was through it in about two weeks.

I've started to wonder whether my problem is I just can't afford it, but I wanted to see how much other people use it, and whether there's something I'm missing (for example I never do second washes and reading the forum is making me rethink that).

So how much do you consume, and do you find it's expensive? Do you find it's more economical to consume micronized? Is it worth the dermatitis? I'm sure if you've got a good income it's not that hard to indulge in, but for those of us with more limited means, especially with the cost to ship to Canada, it stacks up quickly.
I usually consume 3L/day, sometimes only 2 but sometimes 4 and it averages to about 3. However, I usually use no more than 8 TBS/day with a cap of 12 TBS (3/4 cup). I do this by making many washes, doing the first 2 or 2.5 with AluBalls, then putting the makas in the freezer until enough has accumulated for me to thaw out and trad prep another 4 washes at least, using smaller amounts of water with each wash. Sometimes one or two more washes, even, depending on strength. However, you might find this would be grog that is too weak for you. I make it so each shell is the same strength, regardless of which wash it is from, by adjusting water ratios and prep time. And I find this is strong enough for me, and also very comparable to the strength you get from kneading 1/2 cup grind per litre. You might give it a try as it could extend your yield.

Using this method I am able to consume as much as I do at an average cost of $4/day. I drink kava all day long every day, from the moment I wake to about an hour or two before bed. I consider it worth it, but I don't drink alcohol since I started drinking kava so it essentially pays for itself. In fact, I spend less on kava than I used to spend on beer so I think I come out ahead on this one. Of course, it's all relative and ymmv.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Personally, I've put a moratorium on my use of micro because a) it is too easy to over-consume, and I have a tendency to do that and b) I think it gives me stomach issues. I am actually surprised you find the micronized to be more economical; most people on the forums have always seemed to argue that medium grind is the most cost-effective approach.

I would say that the number one variable in preserving cost-effectiveness is consuming kava on an empty stomach (several hours after having consumed food).

Querencia

Personally, I've put a moratorium on my use of micro because a) it is too easy to over-consume, and I have a tendency to do that and b) I think it gives me stomach issues. I am actually surprised you find the micronized to be more economical; most people on the forums have always seemed to argue that medium grind is the most cost-effective approach.

I would say that the number one variable in preserving cost-effectiveness is consuming kava on an empty stomach (several hours after having consumed food).
Based on my limited experience in kava bars in Florida, I tend to make 1-cup shells that are maybe 2x to 3x as strong as what you'd get in a bar, and even at that I find micronized to be more effective. Especially if it's all lateral-root. 1.5 TBSP gets me about the same level of relaxation as at least one shell of medium-ground nambawan, sometimes similar to 1.5 shells.

If a half-cup medium grind makes 1 L, that means each shell is 2 TBSP. So I seem to get more bang for my buck out of micronized.

But yeah, the empty stomach is a must, and has always been my approach.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
I usually consume 3L/day, sometimes only 2 but sometimes 4 and it averages to about 3. However, I usually use no more than 8 TBS/day with a cap of 12 TBS (3/4 cup). I do this by making many washes, doing the first 2 or 2.5 with AluBalls, then putting the makas in the freezer until enough has accumulated for me to thaw out and trad prep another 4 washes at least, using smaller amounts of water with each wash. Sometimes one or two more washes, even, depending on strength. However, you might find this would be grog that is too weak for you. I make it so each shell is the same strength, regardless of which wash it is from, by adjusting water ratios and prep time. And I find this is strong enough for me, and also very comparable to the strength you get from kneading 1/2 cup grind per litre. You might give it a try as it could extend your yield.

Using this method I am able to consume as much as I do at an average cost of $4/day. I drink kava all day long every day, from the moment I wake to about an hour or two before bed. I consider it worth it, but I don't drink alcohol since I started drinking kava so it essentially pays for itself. In fact, I spend less on kava than I used to spend on beer so I think I come out ahead on this one. Of course, it's all relative and ymmv.
what kava do you like best for daytime just curious thanks

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
what kava do you like best for daytime just curious thanks
Obviously I usually prefer my daytime kavas on the lighter side, especially at work, or I will prep down a little on the potency, but not usally by much, I just sip slower.

Some of the kavas I like for the daytime are: anything Tongan, Sakau from Pohnpei, pretty much any 'awa except for Nene but lately because of a nice sale I have been drinking a lot of Mahakea during the day quite happily. Another like Mahakea that I enjoy during the day is Vanuatu Noble Kava from Canopy Botanicals, very similar in effects profile, light blond tasty grog with a perfect balance for daytime. Probably what I have consumed most for weekday workday shelling is Dua Na Bilo's Vanuatu grind which my wife and I seem to be the only people on the planet who like, so I don't recommend it to anyone, but we both like it a lot. Oh, let's see, the RoH Samoan is good for daytime but the KWK Samoan is much better for night.

I also drink a variety of blends based on Fijian waka with even quantities of a Tongan. Even just plain BestFijian waka with Tikaram's Kava Tonga makes a thoroughly acceptable and pleasant daytime grog that I can happily drink pretty much any day. I find this blend better than either on their own. The ultimate in this kind of blend would be Squanch with TFR, IMO. If I wanted more body to that or heavier I would go Squanch with KWK Pouni Ono.

Finally, any decent lawena is going to be good for daytime drinking, IME.