What's new

Minimizing liquid volume but maximizing extraction?

RevRad

Kava Curious
I have a really sensitive stomach as far as nausea goes, I live with some amount of nausea (usually mild but still...) for what seems like most of my waking hours in life. One of the things that, unsurprisingly, sets it off is a large amount of liquid at once. You can imagine with something that tastes like dirt, i.e. kava, that doesn't really help the situation.

I like the blender prep method because I feel like it does very much so extract all the goodies better than hand kneading, particularly when compared to shorter (20-30 minutes between 2 washes or less) hand kneading sessions. But the problem I have with blending is you definitely need a bit more liquid than other methods, because the kava + water mix will turn extremely thick and be very hard to strain if you try to use less water, compared to hand kneading.

So I was wondering what general tips/methods people use when you want to minimize the liquid but still extract as much as possible from medium grind root.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have a really sensitive stomach as far as nausea goes, I live with some amount of nausea (usually mild but still...) for what seems like most of my waking hours in life. One of the things that, unsurprisingly, sets it off is a large amount of liquid at once. You can imagine with something that tastes like dirt, i.e. kava, that doesn't really help the situation.

I like the blender prep method because I feel like it does very much so extract all the goodies better than hand kneading, particularly when compared to shorter (20-30 minutes between 2 washes or less) hand kneading sessions. But the problem I have with blending is you definitely need a bit more liquid than other methods, because the kava + water mix will turn extremely thick and be very hard to strain if you try to use less water, compared to hand kneading.

So I was wondering what general tips/methods people use when you want to minimize the liquid but still extract as much as possible from medium grind root.
Here's an idea for you. Mix up your kava with a large amount of water to get maximum extraction and then leave it in the fridge for a few hours. When you come back to it you should be able to ladle or gently pour off at least half of the water leaving most of the extracted goodness at the bottom of the bowl/jug/whatever. The only downside I can think of is that the flavour will be slightly changed by it sitting on the lees so to speak. The fresher the better in my book. One question though, have you thought about instant? They are easier to mix thick and also generally better tolerated by the stomach anyway.

RevRad

Kava Curious
Here's an idea for you. Mix up your kava with a large amount of water to get maximum extraction and then leave it in the fridge for a few hours. When you come back to it you should be able to ladle or gently pour off at least half of the water leaving most of the extracted goodness at the bottom of the bowl/jug/whatever. The only downside I can think of is that the flavour will be slightly changed by it sitting on the lees so to speak. The fresher the better in my book. One question though, have you thought about instant? They are easier to mix thick and also generally better tolerated by the stomach anyway.
I'll try that method and think about buying some instant kava. Thanks for the suggestion.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I assume you want to stick with water only prep, because maximum extraction with minimal liquid is probably ethanol....
So with that:
(1) Put your kava in a dry strainer/bag and sift the smaller particles into a bowl by shaking. This gives you instant, instant. Take the small dry flakes and dry spoon it into your mouth with a bit of water to wash it down. Caution: be very careful not to breath in while dry powder is in your mouth.

(2) Prepare your kava with water and try drying it into an instant: search the forums for diy instant or make your own instant for what folks have tried at home for drying grog.