What's new

Mitigating bitterness and grittiness

kava_chief

Kava Curious
There are two effects of kava that make its palability somewhat weak after a few cups: the bitterness and the grit that comes from ground root in the bottom of the cup. That last mouthful is always very gritty and makes you gag even before it gets to the back of your throat.

The most obvious thing would be to neutralize the bitterness, because it's not a kind of bitterness that can be transformed into a new taste via a compliment...trust me I've tried. Perhaps dumping a thing of yogurt into your mouth would help with the last cup? I'll give it a try.

Secondly, the grittiness. Well, how do dogs take pills down? In a piece of bread. Perhaps mix in that little bit of bitterness with some peanut butter and suck that guy down.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
You can get rid of any grittiness by sieving properly with a fine mesh - womens nylon stocking or milk nut bag etc. That will just leave the very fine sediments in the bottom, which can be stirred back into the kava before scooping each new shell from the bowl.
For the bitterness, many people in Vanuatu will have a small piece of finger food to eat after the shell "blong wasem mout" - to clean the mouth out. Others rinse with water and spit it out like at the dentists. Whatever works for you..