What's new

Mixing cultivars

Chakram

Kava Curious
I’m a very literal person. I often need things explicitly explained to me. I say that to say this : I don’t know why, but I did not think I could mix different cultivars in the same session.

And ohhhh my goodness, what a game changer. If I don’t like one as much as another, it’s not a waste of money - I can mix and match a little. And the results are more nuanced and enjoyable. I’m over here like “DUH!!!” In a thought bubble over my head.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
You tend to get a more pronounced effect but sometimes lose the unique characteristics of each individual cultivator. We have been spoiled lately with lots of single origin cultivars being bagged. When I first started drinking kava mostly all of it was a salad bowl of kavas in a blend. I usually mix my kavas but do a 50:50 mix

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I almost always mix strains. Sometimes I’ll separate them out when I want to really “hear the voice” of that certain kava. I will usually mix the kavas in the bowl but sometimes I just do like 3tbs one strain then an hour later crack 3tbs of a different strain. Both are nice. I really think using two or more strains (I go up to 4 with a big batch because I’m fancy like that) results in better effects and fewer side effects. The profiles balance each other out, especially when one of your strains is like a strong heavy with the nausea factor

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
I’m a very literal person. I often need things explicitly explained to me. I say that to say this : I don’t know why, but I did not think I could mix different cultivars in the same session.

And ohhhh my goodness, what a game changer. If I don’t like one as much as another, it’s not a waste of money - I can mix and match a little. And the results are more nuanced and enjoyable. I’m over here like “DUH!!!” In a thought bubble over my head.
Absolutely!

So glad you found that. Mixing cultivars is one of my favorite things to do with kava.

Bir kar and puariki match well. Feo and damu very nice and relaxing.

You can pump up the strength on anything hard-core with temotu laterals.

Kelai and melomelo is...very interesting...worth a shot indeed.

Varying amounts of each can make a very different effect. Mixing fully peeled chips is also nice and not super common. I always love lawena/chips with no laterals. They're not always peeled...which is annoying. I always want a very smooth, pure taste with lawena/chips. Something that skin on it won't really let happen.

Have fun and enjoy!