What's new

Mixing Ratio

satchel

Kava Curious
Since I'm new to this, I'd love to know mixing ratios. Yesterday I did only 4 Tbsp with 2 cups of water. So I'm thinking that's weak as I just read a review where they mixed 8 Tbsp with about 2 cups of water.

I'm catching on: the more Tbsp, the stronger.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Water is basically personal preference. The amount of kava determines the potency, the amount of water determines how much grit you're drinking, just so long as you have enough water to knead effectively.

satchel

Kava Curious
Got it. Thank you. Then I haven't been making strong enough. How many tbs. do you all prefer when making a new batch? I'm assuming above 4.

exit stage left
For me personally, I don't need a lot of tbsps to get the desired effect. I usually knead 1/8 of a cup (2 tbsps) in 1 and a half cups of water, and two batches of that is usually good for the night. That's regular kava powder though, not micro or instant. Those might be different.

You might find that the longer you drink kava, the less you need. I did. Reverse tolerance seems to be a thing.

satchel

Kava Curious
I've been using regular powder. It must be the reverse tolerance. In the beginning I didn't really buy into that theory. But going into day three, I'm thinking that's what it is. Thank you.

satchel

Kava Curious
Hello, yes I am. Or at least as close as I can. I eat lunch at 12:30 and I have first sip of day around 6PM. This evening will be my 4th try.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
I've been doing 1 cup Kava to 5 cups water.
kneed 10min. Strain 2x then drink.

I usually drink 2-3 cups in a session. So this batch lasts me 2 days.

exit stage left
Those of you who make a batch that lasts a while (a day or more), does anything happen to the taste? I'm too scared of even funkier taste to premake my kava.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Those of you who make a batch that lasts a while (a day or more), does anything happen to the taste? I'm too scared of even funkier taste to premake my kava.
It'll go off after about 48 hours and get a lot worse, tho I've drank it past that and been fine stomach wise.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
Agreed with Kavadude- 48 hrs is a good limit.

Store it in the refrigerator.

Also, I find that on day 2, the remainder of the Kava usually is stronger in effect. I think this is because some of the kavalactones in the root sludge at the bottom of the container have more time to infuse with the rest of the Kava water.
I look forward to the Kava leftovers for this reason. Its always gone by end of 2nd day.

On day 5 its definitely funky tasting:wtf:.

exit stage left
I think it's funky enough made fresh! The most I'll store mine in the refrigerator is a few hours.