What's new

More and more insomnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Recently I have had more and more instances of insomnia when I over do the kava . First it happened with Melo Melo then borogu and now kava supreme
I'll drink it through out the day and typically just get krunk and fall asleep. Then on random days I will just get horrible insomnia with the muscles tension and not be able to sleep for work which is absolutely detrimental for me since I have to wake up at 530 am.
I know it's when I over do it but sometimes it seems like a hair trigger between feeling krunk and nice for bed and then one more glass and bam it's over and nothing will help.
Anyone else have this issue who's been drinking a long time?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
For me, kava for the most part has become useless as a sleep aid. The deep sleep and muscle relaxation I used to rely on kava for is minimal or nonexistent. 3+ years ago, I could feel the heavy KLs from my drink the previous night well into the next morning whereas now they've usually run their course about 5 hours after drinking. I've concluded that it's definitely the lack of DHM. Only a couple of products have it in the top 3 KLs and the ones that do are still only around 7% KL, which means they have about .5 - 1% DHM max. All of the other KLs make me tired and groggy eventually but with my sleep issues and high night time pain levels, I need a heavy sedative to keep me asleep for an extended period of time. If only I could go back in time 4-5 years and stockpile the Wow!, Mahakea and Nambawan available then...

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Same here. No type of Kava helps me sleep. Relaxes yes, sleep no... I have moved on from body/evening kavas to heady/daytime kavas because of this. Not that that it is a big deal, got other stuff for sleep issues.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Even heady kava makes me tired and unmotivated so my best solution is to utilize stronger sedating herbs and amino acids after the kava. I tried using more heady type kava but the vast majority of them just feel too weak and the stronger ones feel incomplete.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Even heady kava makes me tired and unmotivated so my best solution is to utilize stronger sedating herbs and amino acids after the kava. I tried using more heady type kava but the vast majority of them just feel too weak and the stronger ones feel incomplete.
Which amino acids are you using for sleep? I've had terrible insomnia lately! Tried valerian root tincture, benadryl, some other random stuff.

NotKrunk

Kava Curious
I hate valerian root, makes me feel kind of hangoverish the next morning. If I have a good amout of kava before I sleep, my sleep sucks. On worknights 3-4 tablespoons with a second wash, all done in an alluball seems to be just right for me, generally 1 1/2 to 2 hours before bed. I generally sleep really well and more often than not have shield effects the next morning. I did notice sometimes I will wake up after sleeping for 2-3 hours and lets just say I feel like the goddess Aphrodite has just visited. This last thing has been quite a frequent, though not unwanted, side effect. I take 5-HTP at night as well as melatonin, works great. Benadryl dries me out and makes me sluggish, don't care for it.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Which amino acids are you using for sleep? I've had terrible insomnia lately! Tried valerian root tincture, benadryl, some other random stuff.
Just tryptophan. There is only 1 brand of it that I've found actually works for me, though (pure encapsulations). I mostly combine it with lemon balm, a tea/tincture/standardized extract combination. I think benadryl is gross. Anything with anticholinergic properties feels very dirty and uncomfortable to me. In comaparison, lemon balm actually increases acetylcholine function. I get a good 4 hours of deep, dream filled sleep with this combination. I take a second dose during my middle of the night post kava pee break and have no problem getting back to sleep.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I've been experimenting since your post. I've been consuming less kava and earlier in the evening or not at all. By god, you're right! A lot of kava directly before bed DOES affect my sleep! I'm shocked because it never used to be this way for me. Perhaps my body chemistry has changed or I just have a lot of kava built up in my system. I still have sleep troubles from other issues, but changing up my kava routine has definitely helped. ::indeedsir:: I wonder if a detox tea would help with such a thing to create a do-over of the kava built up in ones system. :bookworm: Back to experimenting on myself now! I'm glad you brought this up.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've been experimenting since your post. I've been consuming less kava and earlier in the evening or not at all. By god, you're right! A lot of kava directly before bed DOES affect my sleep! I'm shocked because it never used to be this way for me. Perhaps my body chemistry has changed or I just have a lot of kava built up in my system. I still have sleep troubles from other issues, but changing up my kava routine has definitely helped. ::indeedsir:: I wonder if a detox tea would help with such a thing to create a do-over of the kava built up in ones system. :bookworm: Back to experimenting on myself now! I'm glad you brought this up.
What kava products are you drinking? Do you find them less sedating/body heavy than you did when they helped you sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.