What's new

Most potent type of Kava

prelohded

Kava Curious
Ounce for ounce which type of kava powder is the most potent, micro or instant? im going to make my own kava capsules with some high quality kava root and wanted to pack in as much punch as I can in each capsule.

verticity

I'm interested in things
In my experience actual root -- either medium grind, micronized, or instant-- gives a more potent experience than extract. However you need to consume about a tablespoon of micro or instant for an effective shell. That would involve filling and swallowing a lot of capsules. Why don't you just get micro or instant and mix it in water and drink as normal? Perhaps you don't care for the taste? lol..
Between micro and instant, I find they are about equally potent. Micro is much less expensive, but (only talking about my own experience here) harder on the stomach.
If you really want to take a capsule, you will need to use extract, but it will not be as powerful an experience. There seems to be some stuff in the root that is not extracted in the extract that makes it more potent..

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
In my experience actual root -- either medium grind, micronized, or instant-- gives a more potent experience than extract. However you need to consume about a tablespoon of micro or instant for an effective shell. That would involve filling and swallowing a lot of capsules. Why don't you just get micro or instant and mix it in water and drink as normal? Perhaps you don't care for the taste? lol..
Between micro and instant, I find they are about equally potent. Micro is much less expensive, but (only talking about my own experience here) harder on the stomach.
If you really want to take a capsule, you will need to use extract, but it will not be as powerful an experience. There seems to be some stuff in the root that is not extracted in the extract that makes it more potent..
I can't speak to making a bunch of capsules of extract but I have capsuled extract to use before or after drinking traditionally made kava. one capsules worth usually. It's worked great and it's been not that effective or I just wasn't aware of exactly how it was working. Seems the extract can be more unpredictable to me, maybe its just that I haven't become as familiar with the extract experience as with the ground root. I personally get better and more reliable results with ground root or micronized. Haven't bought enough instant to have an opinion.

You're on point that the extract experience is different from ground root. I've definitely felt that before. To me, it's like you have a really great stereo system but you turn the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up. you'll get something out of it but, yes, it doesn't compare in the end.

Speaking of micronized, I tried a couple teaspoons of Kava King's micronized Vanuatu earlier this evening. Waiting for a better set and setting before I really dive in to it. Seems like it has more to offer and the taste isn't bad at all.

prelohded

Kava Curious
Yeah I'm looking to make capsules because I absolutely despise the taste of kava. Before I tried kava I thought I wouldn't think it was all that bad, hell maybe I would be one of those sadistic people who actually enjoy the taste, but turns out I find it almost revolting. It probably has something to do with the fact that I got sick off of my first kava experience. Plus I thought the capsules could be convenient.

I know kava capsules typically have a bad reputation for being weak or low quality, like the ones you buy at the health store. I was thinking if I used premium noble root they might be better. I have a bunch of GHK micro moi that gives me strong effects on 2 tbsp, so I'm thinking I could pack 2 tbsp of that into some capsules and enjoy the same effects that way? The capsule machine that I have, if you can call it that, can pack in quite a bit of powders into a capsule. I will share the results after I try it this weekend.

verticity

I'm interested in things
For the taste, I have found that citric acid (from about 1/2 teaspoon of Crystal Light Lemonade mix per cup of water) does a pretty good job of masking the nasty taste. I went through a phase of drinking all my kava that way, but lately I have just been drinking it straight. (I guess my taste buds have worn off from prolonged use :unsure:)

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@prelohded get yourself a nice hot, cheesy, greasy pizza to follow up your capsule session. something to really break down those capsules and kick in that kava. Interested to see how this works out for you.

@verticity I think I've done that to my taste buds. I'll share kava with others occasionally and they'll comment on how numb their mouth gets but i'm not feeling it so much. might have also killed off some taste buds when I was more of a regular smoker. :facepalm:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It depends on what micro and what instants you are considering. For GHK Moi, micro is definitely stronger spoon for spoon. (I've found this to be the case with all GHK). I also have a bit more stomach upset with the micro, though the instant does taste better. If I were capping (lots of caps, I'd cap the micro).