What's new

Kava Preparation Mr. Kava Machine?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
So I'm a hobbyist "maker" (meaning wires stuff up with incomplete knowledge in the hopes of making something electronic do something cool or not done before.) I've built small projects like the Brushduino (a toothbrush that plays Super Mario theme song as you brush and counts strokes using an accelerometer) to help my kids to a better job brushing their teeth. And various fun halloween scare projects and whatnot.

And something about the kava prep had me thinking that I could probably figure out some way to make a Mr. Coffee for Kava. Just add water and ground root in the appropriate compartments, press a button and 30 minutes later some nicely brewed, well kneaded high extraction well-strained grit-free cold and delicious kava would come out the other end.

Has anyone tried a project like this? I did some searching and didn't turn anything up.

Would anyone use something like this? I mean, there's something meditative about the prep process that I really like.. and it builds anticipation and is part of the ritual. All good stuff.

Any room in the kitchen gadget world for a Mr. Kava? Or something with a better name, perhaps?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
We've been talking about it for a long time, since before kavaforums.com existed actually. I'm a little too krunked out to dig up the threads but maybe I will tomorrow.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
So I'm a hobbyist "maker" (meaning wires stuff up with incomplete knowledge in the hopes of making something electronic do something cool or not done before.) I've built small projects like the Brushduino (a toothbrush that plays Super Mario theme song as you brush and counts strokes using an accelerometer) to help my kids to a better job brushing their teeth. And various fun halloween scare projects and whatnot.

And something about the kava prep had me thinking that I could probably figure out some way to make a Mr. Coffee for Kava. Just add water and ground root in the appropriate compartments, press a button and 30 minutes later some nicely brewed, well kneaded high extraction well-strained grit-free cold and delicious kava would come out the other end.

Has anyone tried a project like this? I did some searching and didn't turn anything up.

Would anyone use something like this? I mean, there's something meditative about the prep process that I really like.. and it builds anticipation and is part of the ritual. All good stuff.

Any room in the kitchen gadget world for a Mr. Kava? Or something with a better name, perhaps?
@Roaddog has been trying to get his turkey to prep kava for him. Maybe you could help him find a way to show the turkey how to use a blender? :)

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
It's an interesting idea that I have wondered about too. You would need some kind of mechanical kneading action, I think, something like the way a bread machine kneads dough. Actually maybe a bread machine would be a good starting point, you could just drop a kava filled nylon stocking in there with some water and see what happens.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Steve Mariotti I would, most certainly, be interested in it. I'll go a step further. If you come up with a kava making machine and want to sell it, I'll add a special place in kavaforums for people to purchase it. I'd like nothing more than to have a device I pour powdered kava, and water in the top and have fully prepared traditional kava come out the bottom. You have my full support in your endeavors :D

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
^---my ideal kava machine would have tightly pressed rollers, like in headhodge's wringer/washer...but it would repeatedly recycle the root/water through the wringers several times, to extract the most possible lactones...and then squeeze or vaccum out one final strain...for a clean strong brew.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Honestly, I have a teapot that cost me $250 dollars. (This was back when it was the only worthwhile one with temp/time management). I have used it just about every day since I purchased it. You could charge a lot of money for a kava machine. Some non kava drinker all thumbing through a Williams Sonoma catalogue and is like what the hell is this?

Bwiggy

I like plants
What a fantastic idea! I do not like the kneading process and have never gotten good results (I'm a newbie and may have also bought some inferior product). And I love the idea of extraction from actual plant material vs via solvents.
I"m also a bit of a maker and hang out at a maker space from time to time...and know a maker expert. I can ask and ponder some of the questions about this topic.
It would be fantastic if a bread maker could be adapted to work with a bag of the powdered root.

@BULABUCK - every time I see your profile picture I am soo glad that it exists. I love it.

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
Honestly, I have a teapot that cost me $250 dollars. (This was back when it was the only worthwhile one with temp/time management). I have used it just about every day since I purchased it. You could charge a lot of money for a kava machine. Some non kava drinker all thumbing through a Williams Sonoma catalogue and is like what the hell is this?
dont encourage him to charge allot. im poor folk!

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
But seriously. I am compltely over kneading kava. I can't control my bodily reactions to the smell of it. My nose starts running incontrollably, and I half gag if I get a whif of the stuff.

In fact I've been back on the sauce for a bit because I needed a break from kava. Now that my pants are getting tight I know I have to go back to Kava. But man I'm not looking forward to making or drinking it.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
This thread made me ::awesomesmiles:: after a rotten day at work. Annnnd.. it may be time to play with the pasta machine.