What's new

Member Soapbox My approach to using Kava for anxiety

MikeB

I like Mo'i
So I've been taking Kava fairly regularly during the day, in small doses, to treat anxiety. I swear to god it is a MIRACLE herb. It's non-addictive, there's no withdrawal, there's no comedown, and it's legal and healthy. It has changed my life.

Since there's a TON of info about Kava, it can be paralyzing to noobs. So, I thought a simple "how to" describing what I did would be good. My goal with this is to create a "cookie cutter" template that most people can fit into as a starting point to then adjust to their unique physiologies.

So, here's exactly what I'm doing:

1. Buy Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's' "Mo'i" strain, the micronized variety.
2. Take 1 Tbsp and mix it with some sort of juice you like. (YMMV, maybe 1 Tbsp is too much or too little for you, so try that and then adjust.)
3. Drink it. If you drink while fasted, it'll be more intense and last shorter (1-2 hours for me, YMMV). If you drink after eating a meal, it'll be less intense and last longer.
4. I take it "as needed," not on a regular dosing schedule. If I don't feel anxious, I won't take it. If I do, I will.

These four steps have been sufficient to completely transform my entire life.

And now, some basic elaboration. First, I'll explain why I went with GHK micronized Mo'i as my strain of choice.

You should feel free to experiment with strains if you like, but there's like a million of them and a ton of different vendors, so it can be paralyzing. If you just want something simple that works, I highly recommend starting with GHK's Mo'i strain, specifically the micronized variety. The reason I went with that is:

1. It doesn't make you sleepy! That's the key thing. If you're going to use Kava for anxiety, you need to make sure you aren't taking a strain that'll knock you out. (If you're into science, it's because the chemotype starts with 46...)
2. It's a noble strain that's been proven to be unadulterated with any Tudei or etc, so it's healthier for your liver and lasts shorter.
3. Micronized is very cheap compared to instant, so it's more cost effective.
4. GHK's micronized should possibly be called "super-micronized" because it's filtered a lot more than the usual micro varieties, supposedly making it easier on the stomach.

I take it by mixing the powdered root with juice. I don't do deal with filtering, making syrup, etc, just because I'm busy and don't have the time. Toss 'n' wash with water tastes crappy, but I've found juice is ideal for me. I admit I've been mixing with golden grapefruit juice and coconut water, but I've heard some people mention that grapefruit may not be good because it interacts with the kava in such a way that the intensity is increased (not sure that's a bad thing, but you should know about it). You may want to experiment and see what works with you.

Finally, tradition holds that you should only drink kava while fasted. However, I've found that it also works if I drink kava after eating something, except the dose is less intense and digestion takes longer. YMMV with that, but that's how it works with me.

And that's it. I now live a very relaxed life. Anyone else??

ShellyLee

Kava Curious
Awesome post MikeB! I am a paralyzed noob and this is very helpful and succinct. I ordered a sampler pack today and it includes the Mo'i so this
post perked me up a bit about my choice in ordering.

Jade

Love. Like. Crazy.
I have found that some of the headier kavas increase my anxiety. Not all,but some.Mo'i seems to be one to get good reviews for decreasing anxiety and it just so happens that I am running low on a good daytime kava. Been thinking about trying me out some Mo'i since I haven't yet.So you helped make my mind up Mike B. I think it'll be what I try next.I too like mixing the micronized with juice.I do use medium grind some,but prefer the micronized.It is easier and quicker for me to concoct a tastier drink without losing potency.Longer lasting and stronger for me than instant.Thanks to some tips and recipes from here in the forums I am now able to make make tastier drinks via medium grind here lately . Micronized is just so convenient though!

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I have found that some of the headier kavas increase my anxiety. Not all,but some.Moi seems to be one to get good reviews for decreasing anxiety and it just so happens that I am running low on a good daytime kava. Been thinking about trying me out some Moi since I haven't yet.So you helped make my mind up Mike B. I think it'll be what I try next.I too like mixing the micronized with juice.I do use medium grind some,but prefer the micronized.It is easier and quicker for me to concoct a tastier drink without losing potency.Longer lasting and stronger for me than instant.Thanks to some tips and recipes from here in the forums I am now able to make make tastier drinks via medium grind here lately though. Micronized is just so convenient though!
Yes I have tried it. Its a nice middle of the road kava. I think it would work nice for daytime. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

You got the key to daytime Kava Mike. Moi is totally a heady Kava. No sleepy time there. Nice post and very educational for people trying to figure out how Kava can help them with anxiety.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
You got the key to daytime Kava Mike. Moi is totally a heady Kava. No sleepy time there. Nice post and very educational for people trying to figure out how Kava can help them with anxiety.
I don't know, I have been using Mahakea, micro, all day. I struggle to use a kava all day. But Mahakea, is doing great, for my all day binge. Now I have also tried the Moi micro. It was not bad, for all day use. I feel the Moi, to be a little weaker than Mahakea, but weaker is sometimes better. I don't know, I would say all of GHKs Micro, works great for day use. It must be the lack of Makas, that causes less jitters, during day use. But I must say so far. GHKs micro, is the only Kava I can use from 1pm to 7pm, and get a good nights sleep to boot. Well I have not slept on the Mahakea yet. But I feel confident, it will put you down. I have noticed, that you want to do small does, Because its hella strong. Much love. Roaddog....

DirTJerz

Error 404
I too have been drinking kava occasionally after eating. Sometimes in the evening an hour or two after dinner is the most convenient time to get what I need out of it. I'm sure it's not as powerful as on an empty stomach, but it still works for me. I was thinking about asking if others did that - haven't seem much mention of it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Personally I find full stomach will destroy instant/extract/etc. For powdered root I get the same thing...diminished effects but they last longer. Maybe because the powdered you're consuming enough to displace the contents of the stomach? I don't know. But I do occasionally drink on a full stomach.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I generally like to chow down about an hour and a half after consuming my last shell. That seems to rekick it in for me. I find foot eating to be an important part of my Kava sessions. Much love. Roaddog....

violet

Do all things with love
I too have been drinking kava occasionally after eating. Sometimes in the evening an hour or two after dinner is the most convenient time to get what I need out of it. I'm sure it's not as powerful as on an empty stomach, but it still works for me. I was thinking about asking if others did that - haven't seem much mention of it.
I did a lot of that in the past. I'd have a couple of shells followed by dinner. Then a couple hours later the last shell. With the kava from earlier, it was usually enough to make for a pleasant nightcap.

KavaCat

Meow.
I still like my itty-bitty snack during kava. Like a 100 calorie snack pack size snack. Curbs nausea, but doesn't impact strength much, if at all.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I believe, traditionally Kava would be consumed with fruit, between shells. Much love. Roaddog....

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Roaddog the truly traditional way is rinsing your mouth out with water and spitting (some of nemo's pictures show where the "spitting spot" is and is completely covered in grey from the massive amounts of kava being spit) The fruit between shells has become more a tradition started by North American kava bars.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Roaddog the truly traditional way is rinsing your mouth out with water and spitting (some of nemo's pictures show where the "spitting spot" is and is completely covered in grey from the massive amounts of kava being spit) The fruit between shells has become more a tradition started by North American kava bars.
Thank you for your information. Very interesting. I know I sometimes drink Kava and eat a little fruit. Also I always spit a little in the sink, after I drink a big grog. Just to get the grit out of my mouth. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

Yeah, the Kava Bars would rather you eat fruit between shells than spit in the corner. I have no idea why ....