What's new

My Mahakea Moment

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Finally!

So I burned through a pound of Mahakea medium grind trying to figure out why it wasn't working for me. It affected me a lot like a budget Fiji does. Nothing spectacular, but definitely the real article. Then, after getting a bunch of GHK micronized, I returned to the Mahakea albeit this time micronized, and my first session was ok, not great. I supplemented with candies (perfect for this, I love these damn things) after two hours. Tonight, however, with 4 rounded (not heaping) teaspoons to 18 oz of water, I have to say it's absolutely lovely.

It's "warm". I get a warm feeling all over my body, not like warm in temperature, but warm in a comforting way. It's pretty profound. I have a "pouring heart" sensation where I feel a physical sensation of emotional warmth in my chest. My eyes are a little heavy, but also bright and alert. Shoulder and neck tension that was bugging me today has disappeared. I feel a sense of quiet amusement with things. Even everyday things that surround me here at my desk.

This is a fantastic kava! Good lord, this is like Borogoru's older brother. A little more clean cut and put together than Papa Kea, who wears a mustard-stained "wifebeater" tank top has fists the size of cured hams, but has a heart of gold.

I'm really happy to have a strong and effective balanced kava. This seems to have the widest spectrum of effects, with equal strength at each point in the spectrum. Rad!

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Nice Steve!
The more you described the effects, the better it sounded lol...
I realy need to try some good micro! :)

blindy107

Kava Lover
Oh yeah! Finally man! Welcome to thunderdome!

I was starting to wonder about you...hahah.

It's pretty much the jack of all trades kava for me. I prefer it in micro as well.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
holy word-picture batman. i cannot wait to try the mahakea that i have coming tomorrow! it's medium grind but if it does even half the sh!t you just wrote i will be one happy camper

blindy107

Kava Lover
It literally does everything I could want for a weekend kava. I prefer a little more sedation week nights typically. Mahakea makes me happy to be awake and alive and also somehow slows my mind down without putting me into sleep mode. It usually hits me with a good physical effect later on as well. Amazing. Just gets pricey after a while. Hah

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I wonder if that could mean Mahakea, and papa kea were brought to Hawaii much later than the other kava on the island?

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
It's crazy @Steve Mariotti that when I was a teenager, this is how I would have described a Big Mac Extra Value Meal, supersized with a root beer of course. Since I haven't broken RT, I can't tell you exactly how different Mahakea and Moi than each other but based on everything I read from you guys, it just seems that that moi just borrows (figuratively of course) some of the body potency from mahakea and sends it to the head. It almost sounds like I can rock climb on some moi and be very much ready to have some mahakea when I get back down, so long as someone else was driving home. I understand why there is room for both. Sometimes you aren't up for a deep tissue massage and are plenty happy with a shoulder rub.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i am currently kneading my first batch of GHK mahakea! these recent posts especially "vanuatu done right" have got me salivating.
i'm so excited and i just can't hide it; i'm about to drink some kava and i know i'll like it

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Where I ended up, coming from a Boroguru but looking to get that from GHK (and not finding their Boroguru to match the others I've had - in fact the chemotype is not the same as other Borugurus, so I got two and didn't get more) Mahakea seemed as close as they had. However, then I started playing with combinations. For the exact kick/balance I like, which is heavy in the body and all the things you describe *and* heavy on the mind is to get a little bag of Moi instant when I get a larger bag of Mahakea micro, I do a tbs and a third of the Mahakea Micro and then fill up the tbs measure to around 3/4ths with Moi instant. I put that in a cup and down it goes. Takes me two drinks a few minutes apart to get it down.

That gets me really close to where other Boroguru's get me, the closest I can get from GHK micro-based Kava, and for me is the right place. Very different than Mahakea alone. Give that a try if you can sometime. Think of it as a heady turbo boost :).

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I'm glad I'm getting over my desire for micro--can't wait to put in a good order for med grind

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Mahakea, always interesting. A chemotype that can change so much, judging it's effects based off of it's name or past experiences might be pointless.

Vincent Lebot speculates that‚ cultivar Omoa
collected in the Marquesas seems to be related to
Oahu 241 (Mahakea) from Hawaii‛
Mahakea has an
average kavalactone content of about 8.2% and a
relative kavalactone content ranging from 456231 to
If the last number can become the 2nd, and the 2nd can become the last...that's a huge impact on effects.

mahakea-chem.jpg

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A noble with the possibility of DHM being in the second position. If reproducible, it could really make tudei unnecessary, even for those who like it.