What's new

My New Kava Plant

Stonth

Kava Curious
Hello,

Recently, I acquired a kava plant from a nursery in my home state of North Carolina. Here are two pictures of the plant:

Note: These pictures are correctly rotated when viewing the source files in browser, but for some reason are rotated 90 degrees on this forum.

Right now, I am concerned that the plant seems to be growing in an unfavorable direction as seen in the second image. Is there anything I can or should do about this? I feel like a parent worried about my child. I love this plant and I would hate if something happened to it.

Other than this initial concern, I am following the garden's guide for general plant care and guides here on the forum. I have no idea how to care for plants, so any tips are welcome.

Thanks!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Hello,

Recently, I acquired a kava plant from a nursery in my home state of North Carolina. Here are two pictures of the plant:

Right now, I am concerned that the plant seems to be growing in an unfavorable direction as seen in the second image. Is there anything I can or should do about this? I feel like a parent worried about my child. I love this plant and I would hate if something happened to it.

Other than this initial concern, I am following the garden's guide for general plant care and guides here on the forum. I have no idea how to care for plants, so any tips are welcome.

Thanks!
How long have you had the plant? It looks like it needs to be in a pot so it has room for root growth.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello,

First you should consider re-potting in a larger pot (1/2 to 1 gallon size);
Do this if you can see roots at the bottom portion of your potted 'awa plant;
Ideal soil media is 70 % Garden-in-Bloom potting soil and 30% perlite #4 (large perite);
Mix that media well and re-pot;
Top dress with a couple teaspoons Osmocote fertilizer...any formula;
I always water with a light solution of miracle-grow;
Needs partial shade and not too hot temperature...like mid to upper 80's.
You can double check these suggestions by linking to Hawaiian 'Awa, Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure and reviewing pages 70-71.

Note: These pictures are correctly rotated when viewing the source files in browser, but for some reason are rotated 90 degrees on this forum.

Thanks!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello,

Thanks!
I just replied to your question but apparently the text of my reply got placed within the photo of the 'awa plants!! My fault...so look there.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I have had the plant for an hour. I will move it to a pot.
Oh. Didn't know it was acquired that recently.

First you should consider re-potting in a larger pot (1/2 to 1 gallon size);
Do this if you can see roots at the bottom portion of your potted 'awa plant;
Ideal soil media is 70 % Garden-in-Bloom potting soil and 30% perlite #4 (large perite);
Mix that media well and re-pot;
Top dress with a couple teaspoons Osmocote fertilizer...any formula;
I always water with a light solution of miracle-grow;
Needs partial shade and not too hot temperature...like mid to upper 80's.
You can double check these suggestions by linking to Hawaiian 'Awa, Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure and reviewing pages 70-71.
^^^

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
From my experience growing other plants, I believe itll grow towards whatever light source you provide it. It'll eventually straighten out. Good luck with your plants, I'm in zone 5/6, so growing kava is an impossibility for me.
Also, did you visit this nursery or was it just a mail order? Wondering if they have experience growing kava in your region

Stonth

Kava Curious
From my experience growing other plants, I believe itll grow towards whatever light source you provide it. It'll eventually straighten out. Good luck with your plants, I'm in zone 5/6, so growing kava is an impossibility for me.
Also, did you visit this nursery or was it just a mail order? Wondering if they have experience growing kava in your region
It was a mail order.