What's new

Nangol Noble review BKH - first time. Bad experience.

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
I've just drank my first six shells of this Kava bought from BKH. This isn't just my first time with this particular Kava...it's my first time with Kava in general! I have drank them over a three hour period.

I initially experienced a slight numbing of the mouth which I know is normal. I'm now feeling quite relaxed but almost quite detached and quite heavy eyed. Concentration is largely diminished, as well as any anxiety. I've thoroughly researched Kava, and my expectations were that it would make me mentally sharp whilst likely to increase sociability, as well as promoting inner calm and body relaxation. There has been no euphoria at all.

I'm experiencing the inner calm but also lethargy...both in my mind and in my body. The effects are moderately subtle. Is this just because of this particular Kava? I was hoping to feel sharper mentally, and for a stronger feeling. Is there really any truth to 'reverse tolerance', and can anybody provide an example of something else that relies on reverse tolerance? I'm aware that different strains have different results, and I read mixed things about this particular type of Kava. Some say it is strongly heady/heavy and nailed them to the couch, and others have said it made their mind sharper.

I guess being a newbie I'm also still figuring out strength and finding my personal happy zone with that.

To prepare the Kava I added four heaped tablespoons with about 5 tablespoons of olive oil and half a litre of milk. I then spun this in a blender for a few minutes before topping it up with warm water to make it up to a litre, and blending the mixture once again for a few minutes. I then strained it through a dishcloth and squeezed it to within an inch of it's life.

I have generalised anxiety disorder and episodes of extreme depression. Both of which have been completely debilitating and have destroyed my life to a large extent. I take 600mg/Pregabalin a day. I also take a low dose of tramadol after weaning myself off from the highest dose over the past few months. I also take trazodone and quetiapine, but have weaned myself off largely and am nearly off them entirely. I also take propranolol and have nearly weaned myself off entirely. I am determined to come off everything apart from Pregabalin (it is way too helpful for my anxiety). All of the above medications are sedatives, but I have such a tolerance that I'm not sure they would mix with the Kava to produce the lethargy I'm experiencing. Especially at the low doses I'm now taking. I also take phenibut...infrequently as to avoid addiction, although today I have not taken any. It should be noted that four of the above medications rely heavily on the liver for metabolism, although I'm confident Noble Kava consumption is quite safe, especially as my doses of the above meds are so low (apart from Pregabalin which mainly doesn't get metabolised).

I am determined to figure a way of incorporating Kava into my life maybe two days a week in order to support my anxiety and mood, and to support me coming off the meds entirely...which haven't helped me anyway.

Can anybody recommend a Kava that is more suited to conducive everyday activity?

Also Bula Kava House - great, fast delivery to the UK. Received it 9 days after they posted it! That's including weekend days. No problems at customs. I do wish however that there weren't signs saying 'Kava' all over the package as it's a set up for disaster. Especially considering how much one must pay to have it sent. Customs could EASILY see that and it would almost certainly lead to it being destroyed. But I was very impressed with the speed of delivery and recommend them. Also I didn't get a reply to either of the two emails I sent that were trying to prevent the above said potential problem from occurring.

Last edited:

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
Update: I drank way too much as I didn't know my limit or what to expect. I ended up vomiting a lot and feeling dizzy and ill. Giving Kava a bad name. So I apologise. But I had to be truthful. I'm not entirely sure this stuff is for me. I'm going to give it one more try another day when my anxiety is severe, and drink WAY less.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Update: I drank way too much as I didn't know my limit or what to expect. I ended up vomiting a lot and feeling dizzy and ill. Giving Kava a bad name. So I apologise. But I had to be truthful. I'm not entirely sure this stuff is for me. I'm going to give it one more try another day when my anxiety is severe, and drink WAY less.
Thank you for being honest. No need to apologize. Sounds like you had an "overkrunk" situation going on. I found the only way to get through those times is by getting horizontal as quickly as possibly, and closing my eyes.

Nangol Noble is a stupid powerful kava. If I could make a suggestion, I'd say grab one of his daily drinkers like borogu and give that a shot, or reduce your dose by 2/3 and then try from there. It's better to shoot low and adjust, but judging by your latest post it sounds like you're 100% aware of the upper end of the experience spectrum now. Kava can be a doozy. I think it throws people off who are expecting the normal "herbal" results of most things on the market, which is very little if any effect. Kava can tack weld you to your couch and make your eyes go completely cross.

Whether you decide to continue or not with kava, thank you for finding us and letting us know about your experience.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Frankly, your prep was weird. I would have thrown it up, too, to be honest.

Nangol probably isn't the right kava for you, though it is an excellent kava. For what you are describing as your intentions, from BKH Eua would be more along those lines or maybe even better, Akau. Of the two, Eua is stronger and you might not want a kava that is that strong. Of the BKH Tongans, Kula is the strongest, Akau the least strong, and Eua is in the middle. They are all great kavas, too, as is Nangol Noble. Tongan kava is good for mental sharpness and sociability and preventing feeling anxiety, but not so great for knocking you on your butt when you are feeling anxious or down. IMO, anyway. Tongan kava is for the good times.

Next time try trad prep (kneading kava in a strainer bag in a bowl of water for 10 minutes), a 6:1 or 8:1 water ratio, no olive oil or milk, just water. And sip or chug 125 ml shells one at a time, spaced 20 minutes apart. That might work out better for you.

Finally, I'm not certain kava is safe for you given the medications you're on. Is there a doctor you can check with? Oh, and try to get off phenibut as soon as you can, that stuff is nasty.

Oh, also, I don't think the plan of taking your second attempt at kava, after the first attempt was problematic, on a day when your anxiety is severe would be a good idea at all. What if it made your anxiety worse? I would say far better to try it on a day when you feel no anxiety at all. And go easy, a light preparation, and small shells, spaced 20 - 30 minutes apart. And if you are feeling any symptom that isn't fun, like lethargy, don't drink more kava, stop drinking kava until the bad feeling goes away. Kava should feel good.

Last edited:

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
Frankly, your prep was weird. I would have thrown it up, too, to be honest.

Nangol probably isn't the right kava for you, though it is an excellent kava. For what you are describing as your intentions, from BKH Eua would be more along those lines or maybe even better, Akau. Of the two, Eua is stronger and you might not want a kava that is that strong. Of the BKH Tongans, Kula is the strongest, Akau the least strong, and Eua is in the middle. They are all great kavas, too, as is Nangol Noble. Tongan kava is good for mental sharpness and sociability and preventing feeling anxiety, but not so great for knocking you on your butt when you are feeling anxious or down. IMO, anyway. Tongan kava is for the good times.

Next time try trad prep (kneading kava in a strainer bag in a bowl of water for 10 minutes), a 6:1 or 8:1 water ratio, no olive oil or milk, just water. And sip or chug 125 ml shells one at a time, spaced 20 minutes apart. That might work out better for you.

Finally, I'm not certain kava is safe for you given the medications you're on. Is there a doctor you can check with? Oh, and try to get off phenibut as soon as you can, that stuff is nasty.

Oh, also, I don't think the plan of taking your second attempt at kava, after the first attempt was problematic, on a day when your anxiety is severe would be a good idea at all. What if it made your anxiety worse? I would say far better to try it on a day when you feel no anxiety at all. And go easy, a light preparation, and small shells, spaced 20 - 30 minutes apart. And if you are feeling any symptom that isn't fun, like lethargy, don't drink more kava, stop drinking kava until the bad feeling goes away. Kava should feel good.
Thank you very much for your feedback I greatly appreciate your advice.

I agree that my method of prep was rather disgusting. My original intention was to mix with a mix of coconut milk and water and spin it in the blender. However somebody threw my coconut milk out! And after reading that a certain amount of fat should be added to fully extract the alkaloids, I was forced to use the only fat at my disposal: olive oil.

I'll perhaps purchase one of the Kavas you have recommended. Thank you for taking the time to advise me.

With regards to the safety of mixing Kava with the other meds I'm taking; although I'm not a doctor I'm super knowledgeable about the meds I'm taking and the potential for interactions. Having cut down on my meds considerably, and being so used to having such high levels of sedatives inside me, I felt confident that I could mix the Kava relatively safely. I think my negative reaction was mainly due to the amount of Kava I consumed, as I ended up drinking more towards ten shells in the end.

You're probably right in suggesting I next drink it on a day I'm NOT suffering from intense anxiety. It seems a sensible suggestion and very realistic, considering the negative reaction I had yesterday.

To everyone else that left some feedback thank you very much.

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
I also just want to give a retrospective bit of feedback on my experience, now that it is the following day from my Kava experience.

The first few shells really did induce a sense of calm. I hate to draw comparisons to other psychoactive substances as the feeling is very distinct in its own right; but initially there was a feeling comparable to benzodiazepines. I had taken alprazolam the day prior, and so my experience of the two stood kind of side by side and have made it easier and more accurate to draw a comparison. Benzos however make me feel dead inside which is a feeling that can aggravate my depressive thought patterns. Kava did not seem to do this. It did however bring a similar type of 'washing over me' type feeling, rinsing away and removing anxiety and producing an initial sense of calm. It did NOT produce within me any euphoria, or any mood lift.

After experiencing this initial sense of calm, but without the mood lift, I was stupidly under the impression that I should have been getting more out of it, and I therefore continued to chug a cup of Kava once every half an hour or so.

I felt incredibly detached and distanced from everything, and this feeling only increased the more I drank. It was unpleasant.

I must also note that even though I was feeling immensely unpleasant by this point, I was suddenly excessively horny and consumed by the desire to have sex.

I experienced intense nausea. Initially I was able to fend off this nausea, and I tend to be able to exert quite a lot of control over the need to vomit. However yesterday, after a few hours, I was unable to continue exerting this control and I was throwing up a considerable amount. I don't think it helped that I hadn't eaten at all by this point, and I was approaching late evening. My appetite seemed completely suppressed by the Kava.

I did eventually eat a large meal and practically had to force myself to eat it.

Eventually I went to sleep at a normal time for me. Perhaps 11. I woke a few times throughout the night and continued to feel immensely nauseous, although the vomiting had now stopped.

I awoke this morning still feeling quite sick. It is now just after 11am and I am still feeling quite ill and my mood has been impacted negatively. The thought of even taking another sip of Kava is making me want to vomit!

I had plans today and I have completely written them all off so that I can recover.

Overall my first experience with Kava has been utterly horrendous. I can however see great potential in this in much smaller amounts. I'm the type of person that needs to actually burn my fingers before I learn the flame is hot. Actually scratch the word 'burn' and in this instance replace it with UTTERLY FRY!

I will definitely experiment with Kava again, but not for a short while (at least until I can stomach the thought of it!) I will also use much smaller amounts.

I'm not writing this to contribute towards Kava getting a bad reputation. Kava has now definitely demanded my respect. I just want for people who are first trying it to perhaps read my experience and tread with the caution and respect that it deserves, and to consume it in a more sensible way, whilst acknowledging the immense potential this has as an anxiolytic.

To sum up: DON'T DO WHAT I DID :)

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Just to clear up . There are no alkaloids in kava that we are trying to extract..
Alkaloids are typically stronger chemicals like morphine, caffiene, cocaine... anything that ends in in . Ine. Aine. Stuff like that

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
Just to clear up . There are no alkaloids in kava that we are trying to extract..
Alkaloids are typically stronger chemicals like morphine, caffiene, cocaine... anything that ends in in . Ine. Aine. Stuff like that
Pedantic much? Haha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
To sum up: DON'T DO WHAT I DID :)

Thank you for reading.
Too late! At one time or another we've pretty much all done what you did. It'll be OK, especially with your attitude and approach, you will be fine. THere'll be much to discuss when I have the time but you will be fine, odds are greater than 99% and before you know it you will be laughing about this, I promise.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Sorry to read about your unpleasant first experience with kava.

To prepare the Kava I added four heaped tablespoons with about 5 tablespoons of olive oil and half a litre of milk. I then spun this in a blender for a few minutes before topping it up with warm water to make it up to a litre
I'd have been mightily impressed if you *hadn't* thrown up after that. Kava tastes bad enough without adding oil to it, and it's completely unnecessary. Stick to drinking the kava beverage as it's been enjoyed for centuries in the South Pacific: kava + water.

Good luck with your next attempt; let us know how it goes :)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I initially experienced a slight numbing of the mouth which I know is normal. I'm now feeling quite relaxed but almost quite detached and quite heavy eyed. Concentration is largely diminished, as well as any anxiety. I've thoroughly researched Kava, and my expectations were that it would make me mentally sharp whilst likely to increase sociability, as well as promoting inner calm and body relaxation. There has been no euphoria at all.
I think your expectations may be a little bit off. I've drank a lot of kava but none of them have made me mentally sharp. Kava is different from benzos and alcohol in that no matter how much you drink, it won't cloud your judgement to the point that you'll regret something you did while under its influence. I find all kava to be mentally dulling to some extent, mostly based on dosage. If you want to use kava during the daytime, trying headier varieties would be a better idea. Nangol is one of the most potent heavy varieties available right now.

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
I think your expectations may be a little bit off. I've drank a lot of kava but none of them have made me mentally sharp. Kava is different from benzos and alcohol in that no matter how much you drink, it won't cloud your judgement to the point that you'll regret something you did while under its influence. I find all kava to be mentally dulling to some extent, mostly based on dosage. If you want to use kava during the daytime, trying headier varieties would be a better idea. Nangol is one of the most potent heavy varieties available right now.
Thank you for your feedback :) Being new to Kava it's obviously initially difficult to have realistic expectations. But now that I've tried it, and since tried it again after my negative experience, I feel my expectations are now more realistic Thanks. I've had some recommendations as to more appropriate Kavas to experiment with :)

MrCraggles

Kava Curious
Update.

I've since tried Kava again a further two times. This time I only used water and didn't use any disgusting oil haha. I also used less Kava (2-3 not so heaped tablespoons).

My experiences have been a lot more positive this time which I'm very happy about.

Initially I experienced a period of increased talkativeness and content anxiolysis which seems to plateau out into a relatively relaxed state. My mind is definitely calmer. I have an increased appreciation of music and I am experiencing great pleasure in belting some tunes out on my guitar and giving it some emotive singing. I'm really enjoying writing my own songs and appreciating the catharsis of that.

The only real downside of this for me is the relatively short duration before one must drink more. Upon drinking more however, the pleasurable effects are not as pronounced as the first two shells, but the negative side-effects become more apparent which includes the feeling of nausea and slight dizziness. Upon experiencing these unwelcome side-effects I terminate further consumption.

For me there is great potential for Kava to be used as an anxiolytic medication. There is less potential for it to be used recreationally.

Overall, I'm pleased to have experienced the more positive side to Kava :)

Thank you all for your helpful feedback :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I must also note that even though I was feeling immensely unpleasant by this point, I was suddenly excessively horny and consumed by the desire to have sex.
Know how I know your not lying on the interwebs about being male?!? Sorry for bad first experience but this line made me chuckle. Even in our must krunk/drunk state we are still willing to give it a go!
You have already gotten a lot of good feedback. Always start slow and build up during a session. Some kava will hit you hard and fast, some slowly builds up. Without experience in sensing the kava it is hard to tell how one cultivar might effect you. I think everyone would recommend for new users to take it slow and try different kavas to find the right experience for you.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sorry to read about your unpleasant first experience with kava.

I'd have been mightily impressed if you *hadn't* thrown up after that. Kava tastes bad enough without adding oil to it, and it's completely unnecessary. Stick to drinking the kava beverage as it's been enjoyed for centuries in the South Pacific: kava + water.

Good luck with your next attempt; let us know how it goes :)
the first shell of nangol I did not like the taste but by the 4th I loved it, and every one since. Tastes great. Trad prepped, served with ice.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you for your feedback :) Being new to Kava it's obviously initially difficult to have realistic expectations. But now that I've tried it, and since tried it again after my negative experience, I feel my expectations are now more realistic Thanks. I've had some recommendations as to more appropriate Kavas to experiment with :)
nangol is fine for you now if you cut the dose/ratios.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Update.

I've since tried Kava again a further two times. This time I only used water and didn't use any disgusting oil haha. I also used less Kava (2-3 not so heaped tablespoons).

My experiences have been a lot more positive this time which I'm very happy about.

Initially I experienced a period of increased talkativeness and content anxiolysis which seems to plateau out into a relatively relaxed state. My mind is definitely calmer. I have an increased appreciation of music and I am experiencing great pleasure in belting some tunes out on my guitar and giving it some emotive singing. I'm really enjoying writing my own songs and appreciating the catharsis of that.

The only real downside of this for me is the relatively short duration before one must drink more. Upon drinking more however, the pleasurable effects are not as pronounced as the first two shells, but the negative side-effects become more apparent which includes the feeling of nausea and slight dizziness. Upon experiencing these unwelcome side-effects I terminate further consumption.

For me there is great potential for Kava to be used as an anxiolytic medication. There is less potential for it to be used recreationally.

Overall, I'm pleased to have experienced the more positive side to Kava :)

Thank you all for your helpful feedback :)
drink a glass of water after each shell and have a glass of water handy for sipping after that. My wife and I make each other do shots of water using a shot glass.Make it fun, eh?