What's new

Need to start the Kava journey...

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Like many others I am looking to kick alcohol to the curb because it's been becoming more and more a detriment to my life. I've researched Kava and think this could the be major alternative I've been looking for. I just have a few questions.

1.) On average, how long is the "reverse tolerance"? Even if I won't feel the effects right away on the first cup, will I still feel anything at all? At least to gauge whether Kava does anything at all?

2.) Is there a particular strain that you guys recommend to purchase that is the best? Please post links.

3.) Can Kava be taken in the morning before work? Or best to take it at night because it will provide a good night's rest?

I am really ready to start Kava!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
"reverse tolerance" can last anywhere from 0 days to 1 month+ ...depending on the person's body chemistry, dosage and preparation of the kava and adherence to general rules of consumption, like; drink it on an empty stomach, chug shells - don't sip and be in a conducive environment. (Peaceful, calm, dim, quiet).

newbies will need to experiment with different varieties and dosages to find what works best for them. generally we will suggest buying something heavy, something heady and something balanced. Some heavy options: Kava Supreme, BKH Melo Melo, KT Ambae. Heady kava options: GHK Mo'i, KWK Pouni Ono or most other Tongan roots. Balanced kava options: BKH Nangol Noble, KT Savu Savu...Wakacon Waka(this one is a bit milder)...etc...

kava can be taking in the morning, but that's not the traditional way -- and full doses would likely be unpleasant at that time because of the busyness and physically active nature of the work day. that being said, many 'western' users a milder, more dilute dosage through the day to mitigate anxiety. in this way the 'full buzz' isn't really felt...but you still get some anxiety relief or slight mood lift.

be warned that suddenly stopping alcohol cold turkey can be very dangerous and extremely unpleasant, also kava seems to feel/work better the farther away you get from heavy drinking.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Thank you for the info. There are two other questions I had concerning Kava:

1.) What is the story behind Kava and liver issues? Are these substantiated and if so, does one have to drink a lot to have any sort of detrimental side effects?

2.) I have not been diagnosed but I can tell I suffer from anxiety. I used to get regular panic attacks which thank god have subsided, but I was wondering if Kava would benefit me or would it hurt me. Is it recommended for people with anxiety and attention disorders?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you for the info. There are two other questions I had concerning Kava:

1.) What is the story behind Kava and liver issues? Are these substantiated and if so, does one have to drink a lot to have any sort of detrimental side effects?
They are very weakly substantiated, if at all. The advisory is based on already refuted science from Germany. For specifics I'd have to have someone with a better understanding to step in on that one @Henry. Basically in the past "kava" was any kava extract containing product. The ways in which this "kava" was procured were crude at best, and dangerous at worst. Sometimes the entire plant would be used for extraction. Pray they got the right plant. After the advisory and subsequent burst of the kava bubble in the early 00's, suppliers began to more closely scrutinize their sources. Bad practices were mended, and the market settled down. It's rise in popularity now actually comes at a good time for kava quality. There are so many options for high quality kava.

2.) I have not been diagnosed but I can tell I suffer from anxiety. I used to get regular panic attacks which thank god have subsided, but I was wondering if Kava would benefit me or would it hurt me. Is it recommended for people with anxiety and attention disorders?
For anxiety kava is kind of the "natural holy grail". It really does help anxiety. I'm not so sure about the attention disorder help. Mainly because when I drink kava I'm definitely not trying to pay attention.

Bottom line. It's worth it. It takes some fine tune adjustments to get the prep and procedure down to a science, but you can get there. Kava is one of those "When you get it, you'll get it" situations.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
thank you for the info! Now I can drink in peace.
I just purchased my first batch of loose leaf Kava Root from the local health food store. I don't know what strain it is, it wasn't specified on the label. I got it by the pound and purchased enough for a few batches of tea.

How should I prepare it?
Should I brew it with hot water like hot tea?
Or should I just use lukewarm or cold water?
For how long should I steep it?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
thank you for the info! Now I can drink in peace.
I just purchased my first batch of loose leaf Kava Root from the local health food store. I don't know what strain it is, it wasn't specified on the label. I got it by the pound and purchased enough for a few batches of tea.

How should I prepare it?
Should I brew it with hot water like hot tea?
Or should I just use lukewarm or cold water?
For how long should I steep it?
It's not an infusion or a decoction or a brew, it is a suspension. That suspension is achieved my macerating the dried ground root in water, typically by kneading it in a bag while it s in a bowl f water, or by shaking it in wire mesh balls like a cold brew coffee, or by using a blender and then straining the liquid from the solids, known as makas.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
The best I have is a glass tea pot that is like a bowl, with a wire mesh strainer where you put the tea in to steep.
I say this because I purchased loose leaf Kava root that looks like tea leaves. It's not a power so I wonder if I could nead it in a bag, no?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The best I have is a glass tea pot that is like a bowl, with a wire mesh strainer where you put the tea in to steep.
I say this because I purchased loose leaf Kava root that looks like tea leaves. It's not a power so I wonder if I could nead it in a bag, no?
You may not even really have kava...and if it looks like leaves you probably shouldn’t be drinking it. Kava is made from mashed or powdered roots, there’s no telling what you have—health food stores are notorious for having bad kava.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Really? It looks like this.

View attachment 9415

They were out of the powder, so I bought what I’m assuming is the dried root?
even if that were kava there's nothing you could do with it in that form other than chew it for a while and then spit it out. It might or might not be kava roots cut into chips. It is only very rarely ever seen like that, in chip form, usually only one or two vendors ever carry it and you have to special order it.

One way you can test to see if it's kava is to put a small amount on your tongue and see if you get any numbing effect, like with novocaine at the dentist. It wears off after a few minutes. If it is kava and you are a new user, it should have a very strong numbing effect, even from a very small amount. Don't forget to spit out the bit you tested. If it numbs, it's kava and you could salvage that batch by finding someone with a really high quality blender or grinder to mill it into powder that you could use as regular medium grind kava.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
I'll try the experiment, but should I go back and just buy the powdered form? Is that closer to what it really looks like?

Good thing I dodged a bullet by not making a tea out of it. Now with the ground powder, the health food store clerk said that the people buy the powder and put it into their smoothies. They say it works great. The powdered form is what I am looking for right?

Last edited:

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Curious, why does it need to be in grounded powder form? If it's all from the same root, why would the dried root form induce vomiting?
I tried the experiment and put the Kava on my tongue and yes it did produce a mild numbing effect. I chewed if for a few second and it tastes just like the drop of extract I tasted before. I think it really is kava, I just have to grind it up. Can I use a coffee grinder?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Curious, why does it need to be in grounded powder form? If it's all from the same root, why would the dried root form induce vomiting?
I tried the experiment and put the Kava on my tongue and yes it did produce a mild numbing effect. I chewed if for a few second and it tastes just like the drop of extract I tasted before. I think it really is kava, I just have to grind it up. Can I use a coffee grinder?
it would break a standard coffee grinder but I hear some people manage with a bullet. You really need something more food industry standard than home appliance standard from what I understand. Since it passed the numbing and flavour tests, it could be perfectly good kava for all we know. Only one way to find out. Well, two. Either chew enough of it to bring on an effect (doesn't take me that much, actually, when I chew roots) or find a good enough grinder to mill it into medium grind. You cannot make grog out of chips, only out of either fresh green kava or with dried medium grind powder. I would definitely pursue this, could be decent kava. Also it could be crap kava, but there's no way of knowing either way yet.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'll try the experiment, but should I go back and just buy the powdered form? Is that closer to what it really looks like?

Good thing I dodged a bullet by not making a tea out of it. Now with the ground powder, the health food store clerk said that the people buy the powder and put it into their smoothies. They say it works great. The powdered form is what I am looking for right?
there are three major types of powdered forms that kava can take so you have to be specific. The three are:

Medium grind, which is a neither course nor fine but somewhere in the middle hence medium grind of dried kava, comprised of either the lateral roots, known as waka, or the corm or stump root called lawena, or a mixture of the two. Traditionally made by kneading it inside of leaves or moss or hibiscus or a T shirt or ladies stocking or preferably a good food grade bag, like a nutmilk bag. It can also commonly be made using the AluBall wire mesh in plastic balls shaken in a jar or bottle, or by grinding in water in a blender and then straining thoroughly.

Instant - this powder is made from prepared kava (grog) that has then been dehydrated by removing the water. To reconstitute you simply add to water and stir

Micro - Micronised kava is in many cases simply an ultrafine grind of kava so that one can stir it into water and drink it down almost like it was an instant powder, although in this case one would actually be consuming the ground root itself rather than a beverage made from the ground root. Micro is also stronger than regular kava but has some other aspects that some people mind and some people don't mind but the micro and non-micro people always get along very well because no one thinks their way is the right way and everyone else is wrong. More like, there are many right ways and it's really all about what is right for you. (if it works and you enjoy it, then it's right for you, I use that rule of thumb). Some of the premium micros are made only from the outer part of the waka, so it avoids many of the issues that trouble some people who drink micro made from the whole root including the very tough inner membranes (think of a cross section of a carrot, with the inner circle lighter in colour and denser, the outer part more colourful, more succulent, and with more pronouced flavour. Kava is like that, too, although the outer part is really quite thin compared to the inner part, the opposite of a carrot in ha regard)

That being said, I don't know what those folks could be putting in their smoothies. Could be any or all of the above or even something else,like a prepared flavoured kava drink powder (such things do exist and are often the first things people try in the way of kava.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
I am just going to order the kava online because the micronized kava I just purchased has organic rice maltodextrin. Is this normal? I put it in a chocolate banana smoothie and it did was just give me a bit of a stomach ache. I can't tell if this is just reverse tolerance or if it didn't work cus it's poor quality kava.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Either chew enough of it to bring on an effect (doesn't take me that much, actually, when I chew roots) or find a good enough grinder to mill it into medium grind.
How long do I chew it for until I feel the effects?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
View attachment 9425
Here is a better image of the kava. Is this still root that you chew? This cannot be made into a tea, right?
it could be made into medium grind, from which you could prepare some grog, but you would need a professional quality grinder. Those roots are dense and hard, if they are kava. A regular coffee grinder or blender or whatever would not do the job. You need a serious professional quality milling appliance.

As for chewing for effects I would chew about a teaspoon, maybe a tad less. Just chew slowly and ruminate on the pleasures of the day. I'd chew for 10 minutes or so, then spit it out and start again with some more. Do that two or three times or whatever either to bring it on or because I get a littled tired of the effects and want a break. The effects will be much milder than drinking regular proper grog. However, the effects are mild but also very pleasant and if your body is already attenuated to kavalactones you might have very pleasurable effects, indeed. However, if you are new to kava there is a chance you won't feel anything, other than numbing, of course. [do not swallow any of the roots, no matter how well you have chewed it up. When you are done, rinse and spit with water to make sure you don't accidentally swallow any. It won't really hurt you if you do but it could cause nausea or stomach pains, and/or trigger kava dermopathy (dry, scaly cracking or flaking skin)