What's new

Never Tried Kava - New member from Canada here

Hey all,
This looks like a great forum with a lot of informative stuff by some really passionate people. Just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I have never tried kava before but would have been doing a lot of research and I like what I hear. I would like to try kava to help me become more relaxed in social settings and to get a good buzz from time to time as an alternative to other substances I occasionally use.

I have heard a lot of positive things about instant kava and the fact that it doesn't require a long process in order to consume, appeals to me greatly. Would instant Kava be appropriate to try for a first timer like myself, and will I be able to feel the full effects of it?

Also, as I live in Canada, I was wondering if anyone knew of any online suppliers that ship cheap to Canada or are located in Canada. I was going to order some of the Bula Kava House instant kava but with shipping it is a little more expensive than I was hoping. Any suggestions on some good and affordable kava suppliers for a canadian customer like me would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
First off, Welcome @TheKavaCanuck to the kavaforums!

I think for relaxation in social settings and getting a good buzz, kava fits the bill perfectly. You will probably want the "headier" strains of kava rather than more sedating ones. Instant kava is great, and I've had great experiences with it, but I definitely prefer the traditional prep method in terms of both strength and bang-for-the-buck. It does take a little time investment (30 minutes) and there's some trial and error associated with it, but it's well worth it.

Right off the bat I want to recommend two medium grind kava products to you: Mo'i from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Pouni Ono from Kalm with Kava. Those two varieties are heady, strong, and will get you the effects you're looking for. I recommend medium grind and traditional prep over instant for cost reasons and the fact that some people don't feel ANYTHING from kava for a while and you'd be spending money on instants that you wouldn't be getting maximum benefit from. If that's less of a concern, the best instants I've had are from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava both in terms of strength and flavor, so you can't go wrong there. He has a sampler pack of instants, I believe, and that'd be the place to go first.

Again, welcome aboard, it's great to have you. And I look forward to seeing how it goes!

Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for the info, really informative.
I will try one of the two products you mentioned in your reply.
Thanks again. It really is great to have a resource like this forum to gain valuable feedback from knowledgeable people like you.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
It really is great to have a resource like this forum to gain valuable feedback from knowledgeable people like you.
Yeah, this place is great. And FWIW, there are much more knowledgeable people on here than me. I'm constantly learning from them and you will too!