What's new

New Here, Havent Tried Kava Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Hey all,
Firstly, I've been reading these forums for a few weeks after gaining an interest in kava. Seems like there's a really good group of members posting on this site and this site itself is extremely helpful in that there isn't a huge wealth of knowledge about kava elsewhere.

My buddy has been into kava for a few years and he's always recommended it. I never really thought about it until recently.

My issue is that i just had a tooth extracted last week. So i will be on antibiotics ( penocillin ) for another week probably, i also have a nightly antibiotic mouthwash ( chlorhexidine ). In researching effects of mixing tooth extraction and/or those medications, i found there isn't allot of definitive medical info out there yet, but the personal experiences of members here is worth adding to thought.

So, unfortunately for me ill be waiting probably another 2 weeks before trying kava. From what i understand penicillin gets out of the body quickly. This way i can avoid any variables, if i have a bad response.

So, nice to meet you all. I appreciate being able to do all the reading and learning I've done here so far.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey all,
Firstly, I've been reading these forums for a few weeks after gaining an interest in kava. Seems like there's a really good group of members posting on this site and this site itself is extremely helpful in that there isn't a huge wealth of knowledge about kava elsewhere.

My buddy has been into kava for a few years and he's always recommended it. I never really thought about it until recently.

My issue is that i just had a tooth extracted last week. So i will be on antibiotics ( penocillin ) for another week probably, i also have a nightly antibiotic mouthwash ( chlorhexidine ). In researching effects of mixing tooth extraction and/or those medications, i found there isn't allot of definitive medical info out there yet, but the personal experiences of members here is worth adding to thought.

So, unfortunately for me ill be waiting probably another 2 weeks before trying kava. From what i understand penicillin gets out of the body quickly. This way i can avoid any variables, if i have a bad response.

So, nice to meet you all. I appreciate being able to do all the reading and learning I've done here so far.
Welcome! Glad to have you. Smart move on waiting. Whenever I'm on an antibiotic I always wait until I'm done. My stomach already can barely handle the pills, and add kava....no good. Kava is a unique, but gentle experience.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see that word of mouth brought you to this fine establishment. Welcome to a club of elite people who are not elitest. :D

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Thanks
Welcome! Glad to have you. Smart move on waiting. Whenever I'm on an antibiotic I always wait until I'm done. My stomach already can barely handle the pills, and add kava....no good. Kava is a unique, but gentle experience.
Thanks for the response. I tried to find literature on antibiotics, specifically what I'm on, and kava. But like i mentioned there isn't much out there. As far as my research went, there was no known toxicity just from mixing. In fact i did read of one guy that drank kava on and off while taking doxycycline antibiotic, i think it was. But, my kava so far leans towards the knowledge that as long as you are only consuming the root it isn't much harder to process by the liver than many other things, however is it processed. Knowing that the antibiotic will be too, and just the fact that antibiotics make me generally tired, as if my body isn't at its peak.. why add kava, an unknown ( to me yet ) variable, or just another thing my body will have to process while its trying to heal.
I am taking Advil daily for swelling and pain right now, and i dont see any reason why that would be an issue either. In fact, from what I've read, if i could be drinking kava right now it might help with pain? Alot of comments here talk about it relieving aches and pains.
Anyhow, out out curiosity, how long do you wait after an antibiotic? I read a bit about the 'half life ' of penicillin ( im not a doctor) and supposedly it should be out my system in a matter of hours, regardless i was going to wait a week until trying a little bit of kava. What do you think?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey all,
Firstly, I've been reading these forums for a few weeks after gaining an interest in kava. Seems like there's a really good group of members posting on this site
Even if we were all a bunch of creeps on this site, it is the nature of kava to promote civility and harmony.

I find kava helps me to follow Jane Sibbery's advice in the song "One More Colour" :

Speak a little softer and work a little louder
Shoot less with more care
And sing a little sweeter and love a little longer
And soon you will be there

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwi
Thanks

Thanks for the response. I tried to find literature on antibiotics, specifically what I'm on, and kava. But like i mentioned there isn't much out there. As far as my research went, there was no known toxicity just from mixing. In fact i did read of one guy that drank kava on and off while taking doxycycline antibiotic, i think it was. But, my kava so far leans towards the knowledge that as long as you are only consuming the root it isn't much harder to process by the liver than many other things, however is it processed. Knowing that the antibiotic will be too, and just the fact that antibiotics make me generally tired, as if my body isn't at its peak.. why add kava, an unknown ( to me yet ) variable, or just another thing my body will have to process while its trying to heal.
I am taking Advil daily for swelling and pain right now, and i dont see any reason why that would be an issue either. In fact, from what I've read, if i could be drinking kava right now it might help with pain? Alot of comments here talk about it relieving aches and pains.
Anyhow, out out curiosity, how long do you wait after an antibiotic? I read a bit about the 'half life ' of penicillin ( im not a doctor) and supposedly it should be out my system in a matter of hours, regardless i was going to wait a week until trying a little bit of kava. What do you think?
fwiw I would never mix taking kava with Advil/ibuprofen, nor with acetominophen in any form. In fact, I would wait a week after taking the last one of those before having any kava just to be on the safe side. What I would do if I were you is wait for a good time to quit the daily Advil, when symptoms had subsided to tolerable and try to go a week without it. If things got bad in that week, go back to the Advil if you must, but only if you have to. However, if you make it through the week OK, then try some kava. Ideally, as an anti-inflammatory, kava would replace your need for Advil. Kava is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and analgesic, and unlike Advil, which is dangerous as hell, kava is safe when used in its traditional form and preparation.

Disclaimer: of course I am not a medical doctor and this is not medical advice, just some schmuck on the internet whom you don't know from Adam. This is some potentially serious stuff you are messing with so be careful, and if in doubt, follow your doctor.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Good idea on holding off on kava until the antibiotic runs its course. I've used kava with advil in the past with no issues. I feel kava is much safer than NSAIDs longterm and more effective on some forms of inflammation. But then again, I'm just another schmuck on the internet.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Good idea on holding off on kava until the antibiotic runs its course. I've used kava with advil in the past with no issues. I feel kava is much safer than NSAIDs longterm and more effective on some forms of inflammation. But then again, I'm just another schmuck on the internet.
Inasmuch as it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, kava is an NSAID, it just isn't one of the drugs associated with the class of drugs we call NSAIDs. What makes kava different, IMO, is that kava is the only NSAID you can take in doses large enough to be truly effective and also still be safe. In fact, all of the NSAIDs are dangerous. And the problem is, to take them in doses high enough to be effective, they are extremely dangerous. But even in small doses they are dangerous and should only be taken, if at all, for extremely brief periods, as in less than a week. But they tend to be prescribed for a course of treatment which lasts more than a week. And of course, some are available OTC so people take them willy-nilly, unaware of the dangers.

My concern about taking kava with Advil is less about interactions, as it is with other combinations, than itis about overkill. As NSAIDs they are basically going to do thesame thing, but kava will be, as you say, more effective, and it will also be safe, if taken as medium grind that is traditionally prepared. (can we standardize that here to MGTP, medium grind traditional prep? To me there's MGTP, and then there's everything else, some of it good, some not, but only MGTP is good without any qualification required)

Last edited:

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
fwi

fwiw I would never mix taking kava with Advil/ibuprofen, nor with acetominophen in any form. In fact, I would wait a week after taking the last one of those before having any kava just to be on the safe side. What I would do if I were you is wait for a good time to quit the daily Advil, when symptoms had subsided to tolerable and try to go a week without it. If things got bad in that week, go back to the Advil if you must, but only if you have to. However, if you make it through the week OK, then try some kava. Ideally, as an anti-inflammatory, kava would replace your need for Advil. Kava is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and analgesic, and unlike Advil, which is dangerous as hell, kava is safe when used in its traditional form and preparation.

Disclaimer: of course I am not a medical doctor and this is not medical advice, just some schmuck on the internet whom you don't know from Adam. This is some potentially serious stuff you are messing with so be careful, and if in doubt, follow your doctor.
Thanks for that info. That's pretty interesting about its anti-inflammatory qualities. Im wondering now about its medical uses.
I actually happen to have an issue that it might help if its as good as you make it out to be. About a year ago i was treated for a prostate infection that i battled for around a year and a half. The infection sucked. The antibiotics to treat it sucked. And even now, a year later, i have good days and bad days. The infection itself is gone but due to the nature of the prostate, being a sensitive gland, it now ( for the rest of my life sadly) is easily inflamed. So, depending what i eat, if im around chemicals or anything that can get in my body and have an inflammatory effect, ill have days where i feel the need to pee 10000 times an hour. However, if i have a headache sometimes and take an Advil for it the whole day ill feel great like before i ever had prostate issues, and i know it's because that Advil reduces inflammation there. So anyhow, im interested in the effects there for sure!

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Thanks for that personal experience. What forms of inflammation do you mean?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for that info. That's pretty interesting about its anti-inflammatory qualities. Im wondering now about its medical uses.
I actually happen to have an issue that it might help if its as good as you make it out to be. About a year ago i was treated for a prostate infection that i battled for around a year and a half. The infection sucked. The antibiotics to treat it sucked. And even now, a year later, i have good days and bad days. The infection itself is gone but due to the nature of the prostate, being a sensitive gland, it now ( for the rest of my life sadly) is easily inflamed. So, depending what i eat, if im around chemicals or anything that can get in my body and have an inflammatory effect, ill have days where i feel the need to pee 10000 times an hour. However, if i have a headache sometimes and take an Advil for it the whole day ill feel great like before i ever had prostate issues, and i know it's because that Advil reduces inflammation there. So anyhow, im interested in the effects there for sure!
Boring answer: according to Lebot's book, Kava: The Pacific Drug, what you describe is precisely one of the things kava is used for medicinally.

Personal answer: it solved all of my prostate and urinary tract issues, BUT, and this is a big caveat, it took months of daily use AND I had to drink lots of water all the time as part of the process, and pee a lot, as kava is a notorious diuretic, it dries you up in many more ways than one so whatever you do, if drinking kava drink water, more than you think you need or expect to. Maybe more than that. And just a little more for good measure. You'll thank me later.

The other caveat is this might not work for everybody. I am fortunate in that my body is very receptive to kava, it fixed ALL my problems, except for being a schmuck on the internet, but I kind of like that.

Many weeks ago there was something that passed out of me, it looked horrible, like something out of HP Lovecraft, and I've been fine ever since.

A year ago I had an episode of gross hematuria that was unbelievable, just passing copious amounts of almost pure thick blood for a day and a half. They told me it was symptomatic of advanced renal cancer, stage 4, which it normally is, apparently, and I'd be probably dead within a month. The odds of that were so high they said there was no point in doing an MRI, just go home, get your affairs in order and Netflix and chill, if you can order on a monthly plan, no long term commitments.

I was cool with that but skeptical and have insurance so I said what the hell. MRI showed, nothing, nothing at all. Problem went away, but I still had some minor problems, obviously something was wrong, and not just being an old man.

Six months later kava found me and after some months of daily use, which I was pursuing as a guinea pig for my wife, who needed help with insomnia and mild anxiety due to a stressful job, to make sure it was safe and not a placebo, and stuck with because I loved the effect on dreams, all my inflammatory problems cleared up (I've had an inflammatory disorder all my life called Unspecified Spondyloarthropathy, which shows up in a variety of bizarre ways. In my youth it was stomach pain and lower back pain. When I got older I would get repeated bouts of iritis, episodes of enthesitis in my heels, lower back, tailbone, various skin problems, obesity. All of these were dealt with, I firmly believe, by kava. My body had been in a constant state of inflammation, plus I had specific episodes or attacks of acute inflammation, over the course of 50 years. I doubt anyone will believe it, but I believe my addiction to cigarettes (which I beat 28 years ago) and gambling (beat 10 years ago) and drinking beer regularly for 45 years (beat 2 or 3 months ago, I refuse to keep track any closer than that, so irrelevant is it to my life now) all came from a kind of inflammation of the brain. I feel now not just not addicted to anything, but in a state of non-addiction, like I could not be addicted to anything, like kava is a form of anti-addiction (I wish I could express this in a way which made better sense, but just like I never suffered anxiety, so kava doesn't kill for me an anxiety I never had, rather, it gives me something that is the opposite of anxiety. Similarly, it gives me something that is the opposite of addiction, rather than just makes me not addicted. Darn, like I said, hard to articulate this so it doesn't sound silly).

ftr I wrote all of this while krunk on Squanch and it all made sense to me at the time. But that's just the first wash. :)

I would recommend that if your interest in kava is strictly medicinal, and it is focused on urinary tract or prostate problems, Fijian kavas are what you want to focus on. Only Fijian kavas show evidence of preventing prostate cancer and of shrinking both benign and malignant existing tumors or of shrinking BPH. And then, of course, there are no guarantees: it depends on how well your body responds to it.

For me, it has drastically reduced my weight, which will have a secondary effect, reducing problems from the excessive weight I had. So in some ares, perhaps it isn't the kava affecting the urinary or prostate issues directly, by systemically dropping my weight, it makes my pipes better as a secondary effect.

I think that much of the way inflammation works, and what makes it so insidious, is it snowballs. e.g. Inflammation causes overweight which then cause more inflammation which causes overeating (and overdrinking beer) which in turn causes more inflammation which causes more overweight and so on and son on and next thing you know you're on a conveyor belt going one way and can't get off, despite your best ad most sincere efforts.

What I've been through has taught me less sympathy for myself than sympathy for others. In most, most all, all? cases those problems they have are not their fault. They got hit with something you can't fight on your own just by willpower. I suspect that is also true of depression and anxiety, which I suspect are inflammations of the brain, just as obesity is an inflammation of the gut and related hormones.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Wow @Krunkie McKrunkface, I can't believe doctors told you all of that. Way to overcome!
Thanks for your kind words but well, I didn't do anything except stay calm. I was going to live either way, regardless of what they said to me, but the MRI saved me from having to do a bunch of tests before eventually getting an MRI anyway, once it was clear I wasn't going anywhere. I can't fault the doctors, actually it was an NP and a PA and some intern or other. What they were saying was true, the odds said I was toast, and they didn't want to sugarcoat or lie to me about having fair chances when I didn't have any, not objectively. I respect that, and would prefer it if I really were toast. The symptoms I had are rarely ever seen outside of advanced renal cancer (none of them had ever seen anything like it) and if that's what you have, you don't last long. If I did have advanced renal cancer, as the odds were strong I did, it would be a waste of time and money to do further tests and only raise what would likely be false hopes. I've had a good life, done everything I ever wanted to do, told everyone I love I love them, everyone I'm proud of I'm proud, made whatever apologies I needed to, so I have no fear of death. It was just funny, and weird. Like the rest of my life has been.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Thanks for that personal experience. What forms of inflammation do you mean?
Mainly inflammation caused swelling and the pain associated with it. Kava works very good for me for that but I also use and highly recommend tart cherry juice. I can't use kava around the clock because I would be too tired and groggy to function but the cherry juice has made a big impact and seems to work synergistically with the kava regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.