What's new

New here, looking for my ideal cultivars. (I.E., so many cultivars, so little cash)

Sir_Tarquin

Kava Curious
Just started my Kava journey about a month ago and would appreciate some guidance and recommendations. I do social blues dancing but have developed some mild social anxiety due to being home for so long during the pandemic, and now that dances have started up again it's become incredibly difficult for me to actually ask people to dance, especially since a lot of new people I've never met have replaced everyone I used to know but left. So the whole reason I've started looking into Kava is to find something that will help relax my mind and the social anxiety, get me out of my head, lower those inhibitions and help me be a little more outgoing and extroverted.

I've tried a few cultivars and blends already, but I still haven't quite found something that's hitting just right for this. The tricky part is I'm real sensitive to just about everything, especially stimulants, so finding the right balance that doesn't over-stimulate me but doesn't make me feel too introverted or sedated either is key. These dances are almost always in the evening, so I also need something that won't keep me up all night afterwards. Ideally, I know the best thing to do is to just try everything and see what works, but there is no way I have the cash to try everything, especially the stuff that needs to be shipped overseas (I'm located in the US). So I really need more of a targeted approach to help cut down on cost and unused root powder.

Also it would be really nice if I could find something that can replace alcohol in a loud, lively, party atmosphere. There's an event I go to every year where by the evening it takes on a celebratory party atmosphere with lots of loud upbeat music and high activity everywhere. It was the one time of the year I'd allow myself to indulge in heavy drinking. But I'm not nearly as young as I was when I started going, and the hangovers after drinking that much have become unbearable. So it'd be nice if I could find a cultivar that could possibly work as an alternative with a gentler hangover. This one is a "nice to have" situation and I understand if it isn't possible. The former is the more important.

Here's what I've tried so far if it helps guide the recommendations:

AoK's Kelai - Probably my favorite of what I've tried. Heady without being stimulating. Actually, the first couple of times I tried it it was almost too immediately sedating! Also, to get to the point where I feel my worry and inhibitors melt away, I get double vision and my coordination is pretty much shot. Granted, this was after the first time I ever tried Kava and I've been able to make this cultivar work better for me since then, so it does have potential. But preferably I would like something just slightly, slightly more stimulating while being more affective at melting those inhibitions before it affects my motor skills and vision.

KwK's Pouni Ono - Way too stimulating. Made me feel way too amped up at best, or just anxious. It does have a mood lift, so I'll give it that, but the fact that blues is such a slow, grounded dance, the over-stimulating amped up nature of it is the opposite of what I need, not to mention it doesn't relieve any social anxiety, over-thinking, or inhibitions at all.

AoK's Bir Kar - In my personal opinion, very unremarkable. Didn't do much for me at all. I felt something but it was just kind of... there. I don't know how else to describe it.

Kava Mama's Kavasseur Select - Really good Kava, probably best tasting I've had. But it's definitely an introverted Kava, and the fact that I'm introverted by nature already, I had no desire to be in a social environment and especially not a social dancing environment.

Kava Mama's Happy Fijian - Definitely more stimulating than the Kelai, but not as uncomfortable as Pouni Ono. But still, it hit hard. Lot's of euphoria, huge mood lift, great feeling Kava, but at the end of the day, much too intense for what I need. Probably a good contender for a Kava to replace alcohol at a lively party.

Based on this, any recommendations you could give is most appreciated. Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Bula!

tl;dr: Need a cultivar to help with mild social anxiety for social multi-partner dancing to slow, grounded blues music that's only barely stimulating and not sedating. Don't have the cash to try everything.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sounds like you've done your homework, other things that affect a desirable outcome are a number of different factors. Everything from how you feel that day to how you feel going into a session. Maybe try kava candy from Ozia, you can get it on Amazon or direct, I believe he uses Borogoru for the kava and they are mild enough to avoid lethargy but strong enough to do the job, bonus points for convenience!

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
sounds like you really want the epitome of a "balanced" kava... I would suggest Koa kava but given your reaction to the pouni ono it may be too stimulating for you. My other thought is to order the AAA sampler from best fiji kava, and do a 50/50 blend of their Waka and Lewena. This is my go to when i want that in-between kava that has elements of both "extremes" of the kava spectrum.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Hello There!

Social Blues Dancing?? That sounds awesome and im looking that up now ❤

Im a bit late to the party and my apologies for that!!

very happy youre liking the kelai!

In my opinion...i would try mixing our kelai with kwks pouni ono if u still have some.

that said you can also mix some temotu purple basal root with your kelai. That should balance out very well while not messing too much with strength. Love that blend for a balanced kava.

Just started my Kava journey about a month ago and would appreciate some guidance and recommendations. I do social blues dancing but have developed some mild social anxiety due to being home for so long during the pandemic, and now that dances have started up again it's become incredibly difficult for me to actually ask people to dance, especially since a lot of new people I've never met have replaced everyone I used to know but left. So the whole reason I've started looking into Kava is to find something that will help relax my mind and the social anxiety, get me out of my head, lower those inhibitions and help me be a little more outgoing and extroverted.

I've tried a few cultivars and blends already, but I still haven't quite found something that's hitting just right for this. The tricky part is I'm real sensitive to just about everything, especially stimulants, so finding the right balance that doesn't over-stimulate me but doesn't make me feel too introverted or sedated either is key. These dances are almost always in the evening, so I also need something that won't keep me up all night afterwards. Ideally, I know the best thing to do is to just try everything and see what works, but there is no way I have the cash to try everything, especially the stuff that needs to be shipped overseas (I'm located in the US). So I really need more of a targeted approach to help cut down on cost and unused root powder.

Also it would be really nice if I could find something that can replace alcohol in a loud, lively, party atmosphere. There's an event I go to every year where by the evening it takes on a celebratory party atmosphere with lots of loud upbeat music and high activity everywhere. It was the one time of the year I'd allow myself to indulge in heavy drinking. But I'm not nearly as young as I was when I started going, and the hangovers after drinking that much have become unbearable. So it'd be nice if I could find a cultivar that could possibly work as an alternative with a gentler hangover. This one is a "nice to have" situation and I understand if it isn't possible. The former is the more important.

Here's what I've tried so far if it helps guide the recommendations:

AoK's Kelai - Probably my favorite of what I've tried. Heady without being stimulating. Actually, the first couple of times I tried it it was almost too immediately sedating! Also, to get to the point where I feel my worry and inhibitors melt away, I get double vision and my coordination is pretty much shot. Granted, this was after the first time I ever tried Kava and I've been able to make this cultivar work better for me since then, so it does have potential. But preferably I would like something just slightly, slightly more stimulating while being more affective at melting those inhibitions before it affects my motor skills and vision.

KwK's Pouni Ono - Way too stimulating. Made me feel way too amped up at best, or just anxious. It does have a mood lift, so I'll give it that, but the fact that blues is such a slow, grounded dance, the over-stimulating amped up nature of it is the opposite of what I need, not to mention it doesn't relieve any social anxiety, over-thinking, or inhibitions at all.

AoK's Bir Kar - In my personal opinion, very unremarkable. Didn't do much for me at all. I felt something but it was just kind of... there. I don't know how else to describe it.

Kava Mama's Kavasseur Select - Really good Kava, probably best tasting I've had. But it's definitely an introverted Kava, and the fact that I'm introverted by nature already, I had no desire to be in a social environment and especially not a social dancing environment.

Kava Mama's Happy Fijian - Definitely more stimulating than the Kelai, but not as uncomfortable as Pouni Ono. But still, it hit hard. Lot's of euphoria, huge mood lift, great feeling Kava, but at the end of the day, much too intense for what I need. Probably a good contender for a Kava to replace alcohol at a lively party.

Based on this, any recommendations you could give is most appreciated. Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Bula!

tl;dr: Need a cultivar to help with mild social anxiety for social multi-partner dancing to slow, grounded blues music that's only barely stimulating and not sedating. Don't have the cash to try everything.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Hello There!

Social Blues Dancing?? That sounds awesome and im looking that up now ❤

Im a bit late to the party and my apologies for that!!

very happy youre liking the kelai!

In my opinion...i would try mixing our kelai with kwks pouni ono if u still have some.

that said you can also mix some temotu purple basal root with your kelai. That should balance out very well while not messing too much with strength. Love that blend for a balanced kava.
Isn't your temotu purple all-lateral?

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Great question! Theres 3 types from the same plant. Temotu purple lateral root, temotu purple basal root and whats just labeled as temotu purple is a blend of the two.

The one i mentioned is the basal root. Much more mellow but the effects are fantastic imho.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Great question! Theres 3 types from the same plant. Temotu purple lateral root, temotu purple basal root and whats just labeled as temotu purple is a blend of the two.

The one i mentioned is the basal root. Much more mellow but the effects are fantastic imho.
I'm aware, I'm just pretty sure that your website lists the latter two as not having the "tu" that seems to be reserved for the one with just lateral roots.

Sir_Tarquin

Kava Curious
Just got to thinking about this, how much of each do you blend in order to get a balanced kava? Is it just 1:1 or some other ratio?

Jack3

Kava Curious
If you have any kava you don’t plan to use, I’m an unemployed guy living with chronic illness and I’m sure I could use anything that doesn’t work for you.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Just got to thinking about this, how much of each do you blend in order to get a balanced kava? Is it just 1:1 or some other ratio?
It depends on a lot. If you have the batch testing u can see what % of kl 4 u have in one and how much kl2 u have in another, then to the weighted average to see how much of either you would need to have a fair balance of both, yielding a balanced kava (most of the time).

Other than that it takes trying a lot of mixes in that batch to find a solid one and blending by "feel"

I prefer the first method and mix during prep. That way i know the %s are accurate.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
If you like tongans try Manga or the tongans from Kava Roots. They are more balanced than pouni ono yet social. Palarasul is less heady than kelai....perhaps mixing those two will do the trick.