What's new

New Kava Beverage

Stay Cool

Kava Curious
In my opinion, fruit flavors are the way to go. The sweetness is the best thing to counteract the sometimes bitter kava taste. Extracts have always tasted better to me than straight kava so I am not sure how much of a concern that is. On the other hand stay away from the overly sicky sweet crap like the 5hr energy drinks. That stuff is awful. A few years ago when I drank a lot of microgind I would sometimes mix with orange juice or cranberry juice. Both have enough sweetness to cover the taste. I also tried a few times mixing it with some bare naked juices (http://www.nakedjuice.com/) with good results as well. Good luck with this product!
Thanks Zaphod! When we formulated our readymade kava, the idea was to only use natural ingredients. We didn't want to use artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, etc. The last thing we wanted to do was put a bunch of crap in there that took away the purpose of using kava in the first place.

Stay Cool

Kava Curious
I think it all depends on how people mix their kava. I think in Vanuatu fresh kava used to have 1000-1500mg per shell!
@Deleted User analysed the amount of kavalactones in a weaker shell of kava prepared Fijian style and I think it had 140-150mg of kavalactones (on average).
I guess it's possible that kava shells prepared a la Tongan have 70mg or less.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums! :) I am personally a traditionalist and in my country it's not legal to sell ethanolic extracts of kava, but I always like hearing about new initiatives aimed at introducing new people to kava. I think as long as you use high quality root, your product could be a great way to introduce people to kava. :)
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that different kava cultures have their own way of doing it. Our big concern was making sure we provided a dosage that was reasonable for people to drink here in the United States. Especially those who are not familiar with kava. Out of curiosity, when you say its illegal to sell ethanolic extracts of kava, does that include extract kava powder as well? Or just full liquid extracts like tinctures?

Stay Cool

Kava Curious
Oh, I'm a grog drinker but I would love to be able to order a beverage like this in a bar or coffee shop or cafe or whatever or even from a convenience store. I'd order it, for sure.
Thanks, Krunkie McKrunkface! I like the name by the way. Definitely not trying to take away from the traditional ways of drinking kava. The idea was to provide kava in a convenient way so more people could drink it whenever or whenever they wanted it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I received my order, so here is a mini review:

The taste is very good. It is light and fruity and not excessively sweet. I do appreciate the natural ingredients, including actual sucrose, yet the carb count is still only 5g/ 20 calories (also includes stevia as a natural sweetener).

The potency is good compared to other similar products. I would compare the effect, which seems moderately heady to balanced, to one shell, not three.

All in all I like it. The convenience can't be beat, and at $5/bottle the price is reasonable compared to a latte from Starbucks or something, but considering the amounts of root I habitually drink, still too costly for more than an occasional treat.

Last edited:

Stay Cool

Kava Curious
I received my order, so here is a mini review:

The taste is very good. It is light and fruity and not excessively sweet. I do appreciate the natural ingredients, including actual sucrose, yet the carb count is still only 5g/ 20 calories (also includes stevia as a natural sweetener).

The potency is good compared to other similar products. I would compare the effect, which seems moderately heady to balanced, to one shell, not three.

All in all I like it. The convenience can't be beat, and at $5/bottle the price is reasonable compared to a latte from Starbucks or something, but considering the amounts of root I habitually drink, still too costly for more than an occasional treat.
Thank you for the review and we are glad you liked it. Our goal was to make it convenient and taste good with a little punch of power. I guess it depends on the drinker and/or the potency of the kava shell. Everybody is different. Thanks again for the review and Bula!