What's new

New research on traditional kava's potential for treating or preventing cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/320178/kava-could-help-in-cancer-fight

We talked about it a few weeks ago, but the above interview is still quite interesting.
I did send a photo of a real 'awa leaf and plant which she was not able to get in to the Final, she tried! ...note-- the picture of "Kava" is not Kava.
Also they used Isa as the Hawaiian kava and they do point out it is not from Hawai'i traditionally. Interesting that it was not as effective as the Fijian. Thanks @Henry for posting it. I already printed it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It's interesting that she says their Fijian kava was more effective than the Hawaiian kava they used. Do you know where they got their Hawaiian samples from? She admits that perhaps their samples from Hawaii were "degraded" or something

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
And we found that the less we did to it, the unfiltered preparation was more active than the filtered, that what people actually drink has particles in it is more active than the next step of filtering it or purifying it."

Love this... this is the beggining of synergy studies .. whole plant science!
Finnaly !
Every herbal study so far has been extracts and kava comes out of the woodwork like nope!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
It's interesting that she says their Fijian kava was more effective than the Hawaiian kava they used. Do you know where they got their Hawaiian samples from? She admits that perhaps their samples from Hawaii were "degraded" or something
Not sure where they got the sample, but I am trying to find out. The fact that she says the one from Hawaii had less Flavokawain-B than the Fijian is also puzzling given the one from Hawaii was tudei ??

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Lol, why is that surprising?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My point is you imply Hawaiian kava is better than Fijian when in reality it is a matter of opinion not fact.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
My point is you imply Hawaiian kava is better than Fijian when in reality it is a matter of opinion not fact.
Nope. That's what you indirectly imply, apparently. :) I suppose you are probably under the impression that Hawaiian kava is often seen as superior to other kavas.

I was personally surprised that one would be more effective than the other one on the basis of their similar characteristics. Looking at chemotypes and some of the test results, the main difference between Hawaiian cultivars and Fijian cultivars is the relatively higher level of methysticin in Fijian kava, which probably wouldn't explain the difference as it's not extracted by water. This is why I was surprised.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Nope. That's what you indirectly imply, apparently. :) I suppose you are probably under the impression that Hawaiian kava is often seen as superior to other kavas.
Yes I like Fijian, Tongan & Vanuatu root better, personally, but that is simply my opinion. Not a general fact, a fact for me yes, lol.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Not really sure where you got that idea either, krunky. When I read henry's post all I figured he was implying is that one would assume kava from the different regions would produce similar results, any difference would be of interest... And also that it was simply interesting that there could potentially be a more positive effect in fijian kavas, which is exactly what he said. It is very interesting, because if it was not due to the quality it may be a clue that there is a certain chemotype from fijian kavas that has anti-cancer properties. But then again maybe it was just a difference in quality of the root samples.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
My dad saw a similar article in the Fiji Sun just yesterday and we were discussing that there maybe something true to this. We know alot of people through our kava business and have never have heard of a single person who regularly consumes kava developing any form of cancer. I'm just saying from observation. Then again, we have heard of quite a number of people dying from heart disease at a fairly young age (40s) who regularly consumed kava. I'm not saying that kava is the direct link to it, but the habit of drinking kava late night and having a very late dinner (in the a.m) is very dangerous.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Then again, we have heard of quite a number of people dying from heart disease at a fairly young age (40s) who regularly consumed kava. I'm not saying that kava is the direct link to it, but the habit of drinking kava late night and having a very late dinner (in the a.m) is very dangerous.
Why?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Having dinner few minutes before you sleep isn't a healthy practice. it easily increases your risk of heart diseases. The most common deaths here atleast for the regular kava drinkers we know of was through heart attacks..

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So you mean it's nothing to do with the mixture of Kava and eating before bed, just the latter and the Kava is unrelated?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
So you mean it's nothing to do with the mixture of Kava and eating before bed, just the latter and the Kava is unrelated?
Well yeah its not directly related. Maybe indirectly though. The habit of eating right before going to bed daily is usually picked up by people when they consume kava daily in Fiji. Since its always good to take kava on an empty stomach and kava sessions are dragged on for hours here. Dinners in fiji are usually full of oils and carbs which leads to high cholesterol quickly especially if you sleep right after eating. I know of 3 young healthy looking individuals dying of heart attacks and i suspect thats what happened as they used to drink kava on a daily basis late into the night. There's just no other explanation.

Im not a doctor, just trying to make sense of things logically. Theres always two sides of a coin. I definately think it would be a good idea to have a very light healthy dinner if you take kava as a sleep aid. Or atleast have regular health checks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Then again, we have heard of quite a number of people dying from heart disease at a fairly young age (40s) who regularly consumed kava. I'm not saying that kava is the direct link to it, but the habit of drinking kava late night and having a very late dinner (in the a.m) is very dangerous.
On the Heart Attack think, I how much did they weight? Perhaps being Obese and then leading a sedentary life under the influence of Kava could be the 1-2 punch. When I went for my stress test, I thought I was going to break the treadmill. However, the evil nurse hit the incline button and everything changed. :sneaky: Anyway, my heart is in fantastic shape but so is my weight and I do my workouts BEFORE I do my kava.
If you ever get a chance to grab some data about early heart attacks in Fiji, please post it here.
Also, @Krunʞy, 2 things. First, fix the spelling of your icon, it's bad enough trying to figure out how to "hail' Shakas. Also, Hawaiian Kava is better than whatever kava you drink so there ...:D

D

Deleted User01

And of course I was just pouring kerosene on the fire and was kidding but I can't help myself sometimes. :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.