What's new

New to kava and kind of disappointed

amaterasu

Hello kava lovers, I'm Wafaa from Morocco new to kava.I received my two orders of kava and tried it six times. The first four ones were fine i didn't feel much just a little grossed out, dizzy, heavy head and slow. The fifth time was on a Monday i had a shitty day at work and i was like *why doesn't kava love me back!!!!!!!!* anyway, i came home and i made a hoooooooooooorrible mistake: i mixed kava almost six tbsp with a glass of water and ended up with more kava than water ::sickly:: so i drunk it aaaaaaaaaaand the gates of hell opened! i kept throwing up for 5 hours i thought it would never stop and i ended up feeling dizzyyyyyyyyyyy to the max ^^ I hated kava after that i couldn't drink it for a while, then i tried it yesterday *from my second order* and the same i felt dizzy, slow and heavy headed.To be honest, i was expecting sooooo much from everything i read on this forum ,but now i don't know what to think. Am i still going through reverse tolerance or maybe kava is just not for me :cry:
Well, now i'm thinking of buying the Gaia kava capsules to get me through the reverse tolerance . What do you think guys of all this ? Is this normal ?
Note: both kavas are noble micronized and i prepare it the traditional way.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Who's your kava guy? Sounds like you got 100% tudei.
Noble kava shouldn't make you throw up unless you overdo it, an a tbs of micro is defiantly not overdoing it.

amaterasu

Well, first order from KWK and second order from GHK so i guess it's noble, and 6 tbs in a glass of water isn't too much?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Well, first order from KWK and second order from GHK so i guess it's noble, and 6 tbs in a glass of water isn't too much?
Whoa...idiot me. I thought you said 1 tbs for some reason. What strain was the kava? If it was 6 tbs of a heady variety, then maybe you could have gotten away barf free. But if it was a heavy variety, then yeah, 6 tbs will make you heave and Ho.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Sounds like way too much kava to me. I use about 1 tablespoon in about 6 to 8 oz of half water/half milk with KWK micros and get good effects. I can add a bit more if I want to go stronger but only another teaspoon or so. I would say you want to take a few days off from kava and go back to it after that. Start slowly and work up until you find the right level for you. I would start with 1 level tablespoon and wait 30 mins or so, see how you feel. After that you can add another tablespoon, wait 30 mins again and see how you feel. Some kavas take a while for the effects to show themselves even with experienced users. You just went too fast too soon.

Where in Morocco are you? I'm going to somewhere just outside Agadir on holiday in December, my friend has a house there, and I was wondering if kava was legal there?

amaterasu

I live in Casablanca, welcome in Morocco and don't kava is totally fine here, i guess moooooost don't even know what it is :unsure:well i had absolutely no problems with the customs for my orders . anyway have a wonderful holiday and don't forget to invite me for a kava session ::tanoa::
Sounds like way too much kava to me. I use about 1 tablespoon in about 6 to 8 oz of half water/half milk with KWK micros and get good effects. I can add a bit more if I want to go stronger but only another teaspoon or so. I would say you want to take a few days off from kava and go back to it after that. Start slowly and work up until you find the right level for you. I would start with 1 level tablespoon and wait 30 mins or so, see how you feel. After that you can add another tablespoon, wait 30 mins again and see how you feel. Some kavas take a while for the effects to show themselves even with experienced users. You just went too fast too soon.

Where in Morocco are you? I'm going to somewhere just outside Agadir on holiday in December, my friend has a house there, and I was wondering if kava was legal there?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Did you drink 6 Tbsp all at one time or did you space it out ? Did you strain it or drink the raw powder ?
Was it micronized or medium grind ? Those are all things than can drastically change the outcome of your experience. Also, you have to remember that different people can react differently to kava and different strains. 6 Tbsp is a middle-of-the-road dosage to me, but to someone else, it might react too strongly with them...that can also change depending on the batch and the variety. Another thing that can happen, is that when you have expectations of kava effects, but haven't yet primed your body to it or figured out what works best for you, you have the tendency to overshoot the dosage or dosing in an attempt to feel the effects you've been reading about -- but instead you end up disappointed and/or nauseated.

It took me a long time to get it right and consistently achieve the good effects I had read about.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Did you drink 6 Tbsp all at one time or did you space it out ? Did you strain it or drink the raw powder ?
Was it micronized or medium grind ? Those are all things than can drastically change the outcome of your experience. Also, you have to remember that different people can react differently to kava and different strains. 6 Tbsp is a middle-of-the-road dosage to me, but to someone else, it might react too strongly with them...that can also change depending on the batch and the variety. Another thing that can happen, is that when you have expectations of kava effects, but haven't yet primed your body to it or figured out what works best for you, you have the tendency to overshoot the dosage or dosing in an attempt to feel the effects you've been reading about -- but instead you end up disappointed and/or nauseated.

It took me a long time to get it right and consistently achieve the good effects I had read about.
In the first post he mentioned they are noble micronized. 6 tbsps. of micro is a bit much even for you isn't it? :)

amaterasu

Yes it was 6 tbs all at one time, i "kind of" strained with an average glass of water and it's micronized. You're absolutely right with everything you said, what i did was reallyyyy stupid but i was soooo desperate to feel the kava magic i ended up :wtf:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yup, 6 Tbsp of micronized is where I top out. I'm a 'hard-head' and that's the maximum amount of micro I drink before almost certainly getting regrettably nauseous...and that's spaced out over a couple hours. The thought of drinking it all at once makes me quiver inside. :eek:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hey, welcome to the Forum! Casablanca, cool! Like others have said, take it easy. 1 tablespoon is a healthy serving of micronized. Space your servings about 30 minutes apart for best effect. Also remember to drink kava on an empty stomach. Some spicy food afterwards can help boost the effect. But the effect is more subtle than other substances, so it might seem underwhelming at first; but if you "listen to the kava" eventually you will get it...
^ That's what I think of when I think of Casablanca

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Kalm with kava micronized is all I drink. I've never experienced any bad side effects. I would stay away from the capsules. I just don't believe they are worth the money. I'd try starting off with one or two tablespoons at the most. Wait about an hour and drink more if you aren't where you want to be. You can try adding it to some ginger or peppermint tea to head off any nausea. The synchronized shouldn't require straining. Also you may have your expectations so high that you are missing how it makes you feel. Kava is much more subtle than other substances. The more you relax and pay attention the more you feel it.