What's new

New to Kava-for-Pain - did I do something bad?

Jazmoonie

Hello all: Social/Casual Kava user who is now looking to use Kava to help with constant, chronic pain in my back. Three months after back surgery, I've discovered recently that my back problems are not going away and no matter what the surgeon and pain doctor achieve, I'm likely to have pain. Two desiccating disks in my low back and degenerative changes at the facet joints at the low back levels also. Tethered sciatic nerve that two surgeries have mainly freed up, but I know its there. I have a variety of other things I do to help: yoga, acupuncture, massage, essential oils, meditation .... trying to stay healthy is an full-time job!
Soooooo, trying to reduce my pain and pain killers, I've come to Kava. A friend of mine got me a "variety pack" of Kava with white, green & red types. I've been experimenting with the different strains and have noticed which one bothers my stomach a bit more, or gives me a little headache, one may be more sedating, what works on my back pain .... but I'm wondering if there is any kind of key that explains what strains are meant for relaxation, or pain relief, or stress relief?
Recently, I mixed 1/2 tablespoon of red with 1/2 tablespoon of green. About 2.5 hours in, my stomach went horribly bad and I started shaking terribly. I put a little peppermint EO on, which resolved the nausea, but I shook for a full hour. Then everything stopped ... shaking, upset stomach, pain relief, anything good or bad I felt from the Kava just stopped.
Did I do something wrong? Are you not supposed to "cross the streams" and mix the strains? The shaking scared me but wore off easily.
Additionally, I get occasional flares of back pain that are breath taking and of course have developed an anxiety/stress reaction to those flares now. So if that happens at home, I'd like to know what Kava to turn to in order to relieve the anxiety.
Also, edibles. Worth it? I've been mixing the kava powder with (don't laugh) warm water and a little room temperature fruit juice for flavor and while its a little like Metamucil, LOL its tolerable. Thank you thank you thank you in advance for any information.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Welcome.
- You need to strain the kava to avoid stomach problems.
- I have never heard of green and red kava. Normally kava is a grayish powder. What vendor is it from?
- Mixing with fruit juice is not laughable, but like I said you do need to strain it, unless it is some kind of instant.
- Check out some of the reviews here: there is a rating for analgesic effect. My mistake, there is not a specific rating for analgesic effect--I thought there was or used to be for some reason--but what you are looking for is "Heavy", "Sedative" or "Body" effects.

Last edited:

Jazmoonie

Thank you for your response. Here's exactly what it says on the label: "Red Vein Maeng Da (next line) M. Speciosa" and I think (like I said its was a generous present) the vendor is Mmm, Speciosal. The green I mixed with it is called "Green Malaysian" "M. Speciosa" same vendor. There is Red Vein Thai, White Vein Indo .... really quite a few different types.
So to strain, make my little mix & let it sit for a bit, then strain through stocking? Do I do anything with the .... sludge?
I will look at the reviews. Straining the kava sounds like a sound first step!!!!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thank you for your response. Here's exactly what it says on the label: "Red Vein Maeng Da (next line) M. Speciosa" and I think (like I said its was a generous present) the vendor is Mmm, Speciosal. The green I mixed with it is called "Green Malaysian" "M. Speciosa" same vendor. There is Red Vein Thai, White Vein Indo .... really quite a few different types.
So to strain, make my little mix & let it sit for a bit, then strain through stocking? Do I do anything with the .... sludge?
I will look at the reviews. Straining the kava sounds like a sound first step!!!!
That's not kava, it's k r a t o m, a mild opioid. Like other opioids it can be addictive with a withdrawal syndrome. It might help you with your pain, but you should know what it is if you choose to use it. Kava has the advantage of not being addictive, it acts in a completely different way, as a muscle relaxant, among other things.

Jazmoonie

No wonder nothing was making any sense!!!! I kept looking up kava then putting in those names and of course, nothing matched, especially compared to the information I found here! Thank you so very much, I'm going to order some kava. For me, a big part of taking (what I thought was) kava is because I can extend out my pain medication and hopefully take less. With that as my intent, K@ is not what I meant to be doing. Thank you so much!

D

Deleted User01

@Jazmoonie, welcome to the forum! ::awesomesmiles:: My favorite way of relieving pain is a steroid shot but you can't do that every 3 days so we all have to live with some pain here and there. Yoga, exercise, and everything you mentioned helps a lot. My favorite kava for pain is the PapaKea from GHK. Chris also has a new kava coming out that is very strong and it may also help. I do the PapaKea on the weekends when my yard chores aggravate all my i-ti-sis (tendornitis, arthritis, etc).

kavatester

Kava Curious
extremely disturbing how often these two substances are being confused......K@ is in the coffee family and contains a "k" receptor opioid agonist along with stimulating alkaloids the same as those found in yohimbe.....kava is a pepper family plant containing no opioids and no yohimbine alkaloids.....please do a "lot" of research before mixing plant medicines with pharmaceuticals kava and K@ are definately not the same thing.....i have found myself often explaing to people lately that "K@" kava" and "kanna" are 3 very very different things and not substitutes for eachother....where did this confusion start?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome @Jazmoonie!

If K-tom brought you here, you're in luck. Kava is going to be way better than that stuff short and especiallly long term.

Here's what I would do:

Invest in some Papa Kea and Nene from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. If you can afford it, get the micronized, it's stellar. Minimal stomach upset and great convenience and potency. For Medium Grind fill a knee high nylon stocking with 4 level tablespoons of medium grind kava, submerge in 2 cups warm water and knead and beat the hell out of it for 10 minutes.

Then drink 4-6 oz at a time (half of my 8 oz juice glass is what I do) at 20 minute intervals until it's gone.

Between Nene and Papa Kea you will feel profound relaxation and euphoria and eventually sleepiness. All good things.

Try it, and convince your friend to try it too. It's non-addictive, has no withdrawal, no tolerance (quite the opposite) and if properly prepared good noble kava, a wonderful experience.

verticity

I'm interested in things
are you saying kava is being spiked with K r a Tom? without peoples knowledge? if so that is truly sick....
I don't think that is the case (I really hope not) but I think many of the customers at those bars probably have no idea what either kava or K* are, so when the bartender says, "Hey would you like a shot of this herbal stuff in your shell; it will make it stronger" people who don't know better are likely to say "yes please."

kavatester

Kava Curious
i knew a lot of kava bars sold both but i guess i never thought about them combining them....i am beginning to really worry about public perception of kava and kava bars especially which could be a source of education but i guess instead many would rather serve up a shell of isa with an opiate chaser to a first-timer with no explanation of how utterly removed from any traditional use of kava or typical expected effects of kava that is........bah....sad. i just read a review of a kava bar from a journalist who had not tried kava before....what did he say about kava? absolutely nothing...instead, he wrote about his experience mixing alcohol,kava,and K@ all at once...and painted kava bars as a place ex opiate addicts get a daily fix something like an methadone clinic...i am all for all substances being legal and available to whoever wants them but these sorts of kava bars and the resulting journalism i just mentioned are going to ultimately endanger access to safe plant medicines for many who benefit greatly from them such as myself, i suffer from an extreme case of spondylosis and my drs are amazed i am not in a wheelchair....kava improves my quality of life greatly...lately i have been worried about losing access to tudei which has legitimate medical use for me and i use under a dr supervision in a limited fashion with regular liver tests.....but these kava bars could end up endangering access to all kava period if they continue to value profits over education...peoples first experiences with kava should be with a common noble strain in a cold water extraction ,giving people anything else is a misrepresentation of both kava and traditional kava using cultures.....very,very,sad. i actually have thought about opening a kava bar before but really am not sure if there is a real way to do it "right" especially where i live currently.i don't ever want to do anything to misrepresent and endanger traditional recreational or medicinal kava use.the current resurgence in popularity of kava is really sort of exciting and terrifying at the same time for everyone invested in this plant in so many different ways.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i have heard some anecdotal reports from friends in florida of kava bars spiking their grog with K@ extracts and not mentioning it to customers. which is pretty much a terrible and f@cked up thing to do to anyone.

kavatester

Kava Curious
yeah...i really hope that is rumor and hearsay....however i wouldnt be surprised at this point....anyone else heard of kava being mixed with coca leaf extracts as sold by novoandinas and was apparently served on a "secret menu" by at least one west coast kava bar before they either wised up and quit selling it or became more proficient at doing it secretly....thats shits not even legal and sure aint kava and those rumors hurt the whole trade...

D

Deleted User01

I'm not surprised at anything kava bars do. It's a tough business and a hard sell so they have to "bump it up a notch". In the long run, they will give kava a bad name if they don't clean up their act. Now I'm talking about American Kava Bars. The ones in the Islands serve the real thing because Islanders don't like Tudei and they want the real deal.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Hey tomkrat! It's mrbinx!... I knew he had kratark as soon as I read the red green and white haha.... you took a damn to big of a dose of kratark for sure haha. Not funny. But that explains the shaking and everything... definitley kava is a better suite .. but as long as you don't use kratark daily for months like I did you should be all good on the addictive aspect.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Oh ya and I definitley remember a kava bar being sued awhile back for giving a couple a drink called Komodo dragon which was kratark and kava together. and they sued for becoming addicted to it.

Jazmoonie

@Jazmoonie, welcome to the forum! ::awesomesmiles:: My favorite way of relieving pain is a steroid shot but you can't do that every 3 days so we all have to live with some pain here and there. Yoga, exercise, and everything you mentioned helps a lot. My favorite kava for pain is the PapaKea from GHK. Chris also has a new kava coming out that is very strong and it may also help. I do the PapaKea on the weekends when my yard chores aggravate all my i-ti-sis (tendornitis, arthritis, etc).
Thank you! Steroid shots don't work for me and I've hit A LOT of the Eastern & Western stuff already. Kava seemed like a logical next step. I've just tried my first Kava which I got in the form of Chai Tea. I'm not sure what the Kava is mixed in there, but it went straight to my pain - straight to it. A-ma-zing.
Thank you and I will see you here! I look forward to being a part of the community!

Last edited: