What's new

New to kava from k***, recommendations?

jjune

Hi all,
I'm new to the forums although I've lurked here a few times before.
I haven't yet tried kava but I'm looking into it as a current k**** user, looking to try something better and different. I suffer w/ chronic depression and anxiety, and k**** helped/helps me cope and get into a better frame of mind w/ more energy to do and interesting doing things. My concern is with the dependence. I tapered and came off it completely a couple weeks ago mostly specifically for a trip which was fine, but coming back to an abusive home compelled me to start taking it again. Which is ok for the time being, but I don't want to get too reliant again.
It seems kava has similar effects to what helps me. Would you agree? Is there a specific strain you think would be good? I'm mainly looking for anxiety relief and euphoria/uplifting and energizing mood effects.
If I could get some recommendations about where to buy that would be super cool too!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all,
I'm new to the forums although I've lurked here a few times before.
I haven't yet tried kava but I'm looking into it as a current k**** user, looking to try something better and different. I suffer w/ chronic depression and anxiety, and k**** helped/helps me cope and get into a better frame of mind w/ more energy to do and interesting doing things. My concern is with the dependence. I tapered and came off it completely a couple weeks ago mostly specifically for a trip which was fine, but coming back to an abusive home compelled me to start taking it again. Which is ok for the time being, but I don't want to get too reliant again.
It seems kava has similar effects to what helps me. Would you agree? Is there a specific strain you think would be good? I'm mainly looking for anxiety relief and euphoria/uplifting and energizing mood effects.
If I could get some recommendations about where to buy that would be super cool too!
Pick up a sampler pack from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or Kalm with Kava, and see which of the strains speaks to you specifically. Kava is a very individual experience, and each strain may produce subtle different effects. A sampler pack should guide you through :)

Kalm with Kava Sampler
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Sampler

Also, welcome! We're glad to have you with us.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
For general anxiety/making the day more interesting, I really find instant kava helpful. It works quickly, is much more portable and doesn't have the heavier effects that brewed medium grind kavas can have.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum. As @Kapmcrunk said, sampler packs are great for Newbies and lots of fun in too. When you are ready for your kava you can say, "For the occasion he chose ..... (like a Jim Dandy surveying his closet full of clothes).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
For general anxiety/making the day more interesting, I really find instant kava helpful. It works quickly, is much more portable and doesn't have the heavier effects that brewed medium grind kavas can have.
@jjune I wouldn't put you off M'oi instant from GHK to probably suit your needs but as mentioned above a sample pack will allow you to try some others as well. Instant is good for convenience I would say but med grind offers a better overall experience and you have so much more variety.