What's new

New to the forum

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Hey there. I'm a former drinker who has been utilizing kava to deal with anxiety and also as a social lubricant. I've had a few types of kava over the last 2 years, but never really got into it. Now that I've completely stopped drinking and using my prescription for valium, I am enjoying kava quite a bit. I recently obtained BKH Waka and melo-melo, alomng with the instant kava, and like them both. Waka is such a great alcohol replacement, and melo-melo is a more calming effect so it's great for anxiety. Is there anything else at BKH or elsewhere that is truly unique from what I've already tried ? I know all kava is different, but it seems like I've already tried a euphoric kava and a calming kava, what else do I need to try?:)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI, and welcome, Hawaiian varieties are very good too, I will be having some available for sale in a few months, I will have other good kava in a few weeks. You will notice that kava can be different, even with the 13 Hawaiian varieties I grow, each one has a unique quality and different amounts of stump and lateral roots will also have a pleasing effect, the reason is that it changes the chemotype, if you want some good info on the kava you can check out my website at www.GourmetHawaiianKava.com
Also the way you make it and the amount you use and the amount you drink will all have an effect, I like to make mine strong and then drink a little instead of drinking 3 or 4 cups, if you boil the kava it will also make it stronger and a bit different but in a good way, directions for that are on my website. I am glad that your into kava now and not the alcohol and also do not mix kava with alcohol or even other herbs and kava will make the effect of your Valium stronger so be careful with that too, aloha from Hawaii.

Chris

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There are many subtle differences. Although I mostly drink Boroguru, it's fun to try different types of kava and compare. From BKH, Nambawan and Koniak are both very very potent compared to the ones you've tried.

violet

Do all things with love
@ThePiper Hello and welcome :).

When I first started with kava I got my feet wet with BKH's Boroguru and have had the Melo Melo and Koniak varieties as well. While kava can affect individuals differently, Boroguru gives most everyone a lot of body relaxation and has potent anxiolytic effects. I highly recommend trying it. Boroguru is considered a more "heavy" kava, and it helps induce sleep for a number of people.

Boroguru from one vendor will probably have some different qualities than Boroguru from another vendor. If you are looking to just try out different kavas, look for the sampler packs offered by the vendors (it usually takes me going through a half-kilo to get a good feel for what a kava is like :D). The reviews forum here is a great place to get some ideas.

If there is something particular you are looking for in kava, that can help guide your decision. I drank little alcohol before, but kava has completely killed any possible desire left that I may have had to drink. The effects from kava are far superior and healthier in so many ways.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Unique?

Try getting ahold of some Solomon Island kava from nakamal@home.

It was certainly....unique...the one time I tried it. ha.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Piper! And Gourmet, we are anxiously awaiting your AWA .... and it better be good. (lol) And Vekta, what's wrong with Solomons? I love Solomons. It's like Melo Melo on Steroids. And I love Melo Melo, that's what I got in the Fridge right now. But that being said, I have tapered off my consumption. It just take 2 cups to pacify me and put me into a blissful sleep. I'm not interested in getting Krunked anymore. Just want to mellow out and sleep like a baby. Kava is definitely good medicine and should be treated that way.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Well, unlike Deleted User01; I AM STILL INTERESTED IN GETTING KRUNKED! lol

I think Paradises Fijian is great for anxiety.
It has a nice mix of Kavalactones, and a little more Methysticin which makes it have this nice creeper effect that is long lasting.
Tongans are great too.
Prince Phillip once said the unique thing about them, is that you would feel a slight "Tong" while drinking them. I agree

D

Deleted User01

Vetka, I was fishing for your description of the Solomons effect. I like to hear what other people think about it. Oh man, I've been shrugged. :( Is that as bad as being "duhhhhhed"? :D For me, it just seems like I get plenty of effect with a small amount and it seems redundant to continue quaffing the sweet elixir of life. In my case, Tongans give me too much of a pure head buzz and I have no opinion on the last Fiji I had but I compared it to Melo and I liked the Melo way better. Each to his own. However, I haven't tried the products from Paradise yet and they may very well have some good stuff in the areas you mentioned. Krunk on Endwatcher and you guys descriptions of how Kava effects you are very much appreciated by all who haunt this forum.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Thanks for all of the responses guys! So the tongan is a cerebral buzz that's good for daytime? What about Nambawan?