What's new

newbie here.. aluball anyone?

AmberLynn

Kava Curious
So I'm veryyyyy new to kava. I got a 3 pack sampler on KWK. I've tried them all already. The first 2, I don't think I kneaded them as much because the effects were pretty mild. The third one I overly kneaded for 20+ mins which I got really good effects from. The first 2 I used 3 TBSP, and the 3rd one I used 4 TBSP, which I think is way better for me.

Anyways, I was wondering about the aluball if that works all the same? I read you can get 2 balls and put 2 TBSP in each which would be perfect if it worked well. I just can't see myself kneading every other day like I did lol.

So what's everyone's opinions on the aluball?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I'm veryyyyy new to kava. I got a 3 pack sampler on KWK. I've tried them all already. The first 2, I don't think I kneaded them as much because the effects were pretty mild. The third one I overly kneaded for 20+ mins which I got really good effects from. The first 2 I used 3 TBSP, and the 3rd one I used 4 TBSP, which I think is way better for me.

Anyways, I was wondering about the aluball if that works all the same? I read you can get 2 balls and put 2 TBSP in each which would be perfect if it worked well. I just can't see myself kneading every other day like I did lol.

Welcome aboard. :)

it's my opinion that traditional prep will always be better but the Aluball works as well and many prefer it for the convenience. It's really good on the go (though I am rarely on the go while krunkin').

I do have an Alubotle and 4 balls. 1 1/2 to 2 tbs is the norm per ball.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Aluball is fine. But you can get more out with kneading. Many on here, freeze the leftover makas for a few weeks. Then make a few shells by defrosting and kneading those.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

I love it, and precisely for the reasons you mentioned. If one drinks grog with any regularity at all, more than three times a month, say, then getting an AluBall approaches being a no-brainer kind of question. Just do it.

Shelly McKrunkface

Kava Curious
Aluball all the way, double balls, protective plastic layer on the top to make them last longer, save the makas and freeze and then when you have accumulated enough of that do the bag and kneading for some nice batches of mongrel grog.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I just got saturday sunday and monday kava drink out of two weeks of frozen makas from the aluball.
And bear in mind i also drink micro in those two weeks. I think if you throw away the makas you are throwing away between a third and a half of all your expensive kava goodness.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I also think that freezer mongrel grog presents a somewhat different matrix of kavalactones from those roots, something I really enjoy and don’t want to miss out on. It hits more buttons.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I do traditional prep and I use the aluball - there is no doubt about it that the aluball provides a different experience. With traditional prep I can make a super thick oily grog with much less water. It tends for me to be stronger, and be a much "heavier" experience. On the other hand the aluball is quicker, easier, less to clean up. You also get more hydration from the aluball because you are drinking more water and typically less sediment then a 70micron mesh bag. They both have their place in kava prep.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I do traditional prep and I use the aluball - there is no doubt about it that the aluball provides a different experience. With traditional prep I can make a super thick oily grog with much less water. It tends for me to be stronger, and be a much "heavier" experience. On the other hand the aluball is quicker, easier, less to clean up. You also get more hydration from the aluball because you are drinking more water and typically less sediment then a 70micron mesh bag. They both have their place in kava prep.
yup, neither either or, but both. Neither one on its own can do what I want or need. They're both great.

Happy G

Kava Curious

I agree with Krunky you just can’t beat traditional prep , but I don’t always have time to do traditional prep or sometimes I’m just dang lazy that’s where the aluball shines . I really love my aluball you can make a great potent shell of kava in just three minutes most amazing thing ever . I think anyone who drinks kava needs one , I use it almost everyday . I would recommend you buy at least two aluballs just using one ball was never quite enuf for me .

pallasathena1969

Kava Curious
I use the Aluball method everyday. If I had to knead it I probably wouldn’t have tried kava in the first place.

The traditional method intrigues me, though. I think when I have more free time I may actually try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonth

Kava Curious
The technical term is for the device which one uses to Aluball (v.) is "Aluballer".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquafina

Kava Curious
Hi Edward! Wow, does everyone drink it that fast? And you mentioned in the video that it wasn't fast. Maybe that's why I'm still in RT after 5 weeks? I've been making it stronger, and drinking lots of shells over the course of the day/evening, but maybe I'm drinking it too slowly. Thanks for the video!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I agree with Krunky you just can’t beat traditional prep , but I don’t always have time to do traditional prep or sometimes I’m just dang lazy that’s where the aluball shines . I really love my aluball you can make a great potent shell of kava in just three minutes most amazing thing ever . I think anyone who drinks kava needs one , I use it almost everyday . I would recommend you buy at least two aluballs just using one ball was never quite enuf for me .
using two bottles and four balls in two washes using two hands I can make a half gallon of nice grog in 5 minutes or less.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
From context, I guess "mongrel grog" just refers to the grog you get from accumulated, frozen makas?
yes, with the presumption that there will be a variety of different kavas that accumulate, so you might have anywhere from 2 to 8 or even more types of kava in your mongrel grog. This extreme variety going into it is part of what gives the mongrel grog its distinctive character and taste, a taste one can get very used to very quickly and really come to enjoy, IMO.

Last edited:

Happy G

Kava Curious
From context, I guess "mongrel grog" just refers to the grog you get from accumulated, frozen makas?
I always wanted to try a mongrel grog , I’m going to save my Makas this month and try it out . Woooooo ! I wonder how much you have to save to get a good shell .

Happy G

Kava Curious
yes, with the presumption that there will be a variety of different kavas that accumulate, so you might have anywhere from 2 to 8 or even more types of kava in your mongrel grog. This extreme variety going into it is part of what gives the mongrel grog its distinctive character and taste, a taste one can get very used to very quickly and really come to enjoy, IMO.
Krunkie McKrunkface you seem like a Mongrel grog maker pro ! so your the perfect person for my question , So in your experiance how much leftover Makas do you need to make a good grog ?