What's new

Next Day Effects

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
1.) Are there any reliable studies showing that kavalactones have effects the day after consumption?

2.) If not, is it possible that this is, in whole or in part, the effect of having a good night's sleep?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I know the elimination time of kavalactones can be up to 18-48 hours. Although the peak effects are felt in the hours immediately after drinking, the stuff lingers in your body for a while afterwards. Like you mentioned, I think having a restful sleep, due to the kava, also has an effect on how you feel the next day.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
When I first started trying kava, I could really feel the physical affects into the next morning, more so than just feeling rested.

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
I'm definitely feeling the effects in the morning when I eat an entire pack of Kava Candy the night before. Less so if i just have 1 or 2 at bed time.

spacegirlelt

Daydreamer
When I had the Kalm with Kava drink [not the kava, the actual drink] would leave me a little groggy in the morning. However, regular kava does not do this to me. It gives me a good eight hours worth of peaceful sleep and a fresh start to my morning.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If I have more than just a couple of shells, I have always felt the effects the next day - drowsiness and lethargy mostly, although not always in a bad way.
Even a good nights sleep doesn't stop this, but an extra hour lunchtime sleep the following day can get things back to normal.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, that may explain why I've slept well after drinking the GWK boroguru yet still get really sleepy the following afternoon. Perhaps I need to cut back a bit.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The half life of kavain is 9 hours. That is the only one I know of that has been measured in humans. Those of DHK and DHM are presumably longer. Exactly how much longer, I don't know. So if you drink kava at 9 pm, for example, you could certainly still be feeling something at 9 am the following morning, even with a noble variety. If you drink two-day, well, obviously there could be next day effects. (Don't drink two-day)

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
The half life of kavain is 9 hours. That is the only one I know of that has been measured in humans. Those of DHK and DHM are presumably longer. Exactly how much longer, I don't know. So if you drink kava at 9 pm, for example, you could certainly still be feeling something at 9 am the following morning, even with a noble variety. If you drink two-day, well, obviously there could be next day effects. (Don't drink two-day)
So is 2-day essentially akin to drinking some Wild Irish Rose... in that the hangover from cheap liquor is always worse?
Where as the expensive liquor has less 'tannins' or whatever the equivalent in kava is...?

verticity

I'm interested in things
So is 2-day essentially akin to drinking some Wild Irish Rose... in that the hangover from cheap liquor is always worse?
Where as the expensive liquor has less 'tannins' or whatever the equivalent in kava is...?
Sort of, but the acute effects of two-day are different too: more sedation, possibility of nausea, and less if any euphoria. The equivalent in kava are flavokavains--chemicals that may or may not be harmful to the liver, and are in higher concentrations in two-days (the kavalactone profile of two-days also tends to have more DHM vs K)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I believe the feeling of effects the next day is always going to happen in most people if you have more than a small to regular amount of kava, drunk over just an hour or so in the early evening. I have not come across anyone, in Vanuatu, Polynesia or anywhere else that gets away with waking up fresh after a reasonable session lasting up to going to bed.
After over 20 years drinking noble kava in Vanuatu, I always have a morning-after mind dulling fuzziness that lasts most of the next day, and this is well acknowledged and talked about by all ni-Van drinkers. Well, the fuzziness lasts until kava the following evening starts anyway.
Even at Vincent Lebot's kava book launching last year at the Vanuatu Cultural Centre, where excellent and strong kava was prepared for the attendees, after only 2 large shells I could still feel it well into the afternoon the following day.
Perhaps the more modern kava products (that I have no experience of yet, unfortunately) like micro, etc, are somehow "cleaner" so give less morning after effects?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I believe the feeling of effects the next day is always going to happen in most people if you have more than a small to regular amount of kava, drunk over just an hour or so in the early evening. I have not come across anyone, in Vanuatu, Polynesia or anywhere else that gets away with waking up fresh after a reasonable session lasting up to going to bed.
After over 20 years drinking noble kava in Vanuatu, I always have a morning-after mind dulling fuzziness that lasts most of the next day, and this is well acknowledged and talked about by all ni-Van drinkers. Well, the fuzziness lasts until kava the following evening starts anyway.
Even at Vincent Lebot's kava book launching last year at the Vanuatu Cultural Centre, where excellent and strong kava was prepared for the attendees, after only 2 large shells I could still feel it well into the afternoon the following day.
Perhaps the more modern kava products (that I have no experience of yet, unfortunately) like micro, etc, are somehow "cleaner" so give less morning after effects?
I would not think micro would really have any different or "cleaner" effects, because it's really the same stuff. However, extracts that selectively extract kavain vs DHK and DHM could have such an effect. Of course fresh kava in Vanuatu is much stronger than any powder we can get elsewhere, so possibly there are less likely to be next day effects for powder users simply because it is relatively weak compared to fresh..