What's new

Kava Dosages No consistency

egriton

I've tried various vendors, preparations, and extracts.

Even if I use the same product, I don't have consistent effects.

One night it will relax me and I'll be asleep quickly, other nights I don't notice anything.

Typically, I'll have a snack around 9pm, then use the kava around midnight. Not many variables in my environment.

The only pattern I've noticed is it is more effective if a week or more goes by between use, but not effective just a few nights after prior use.

Suggestions?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Regarding "daily" consumption for a longer period of time, I am also a newbie. I know kava now for a couple of years. To me the effect differs also almost every time. But in a way it is consistent if I do breaks and use it just here and there- or 2x a week.

The longer I use it the less effect it has to me. I don't see a reverse tolerance really. Sometimes the second day could be more potent than the first. But in total... I guess the brain levels out.

I guess I have now 10 days in a row, and it becomes different. It seems to level me out in a way, even "grounding". I wouldn't have thought that it seems that it has very positive effects on me in daily consumption. But the strong effect - it isn't the same. Whereas yesterday night... hard to say... really hard to say.

I also wonder if there are people for whom it is consistent.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
This is just the nature of kava, it can be different from day to day. I found extracts to be especially bad in this area. Some nights I'd feel like I was on MDMA, some nights I'd feel a mild buzz, sometimes I'd feel nothing. The MDMA feeling was from taking way, way too much of the extract though. Then I bought the same extract a 2nd time and not a single time did it do anything for me. It also just tasted awful, ultimately I never tried extracts again. I just didn't have anything to strain medium grind yet.

Micronized was also random in this same way, but medium grind seems to hit me the same just about every time. Vanatu is always sedating, Lewena is always heady and such. I like to combine both for the ultimate buzz.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I find it that it takes time and patience to find the right combination of kavas that will consistently work for me, fortunately I have already tried almost all the ones that I find interesting and many that didn't do it for me or gave me mixed results. Can there be consistency? Yes I find it that there can be, with a combination of knowing what kavas benefit you the most and the right balance of other daily factors such as time of day, mood before, amount to be drank, I always play things by ear and never have a set amount in mind unless I have immanent plans.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I've tried various vendors, preparations, and extracts.

Even if I use the same product, I don't have consistent effects.

One night it will relax me and I'll be asleep quickly, other nights I don't notice anything.

Typically, I'll have a snack around 9pm, then use the kava around midnight. Not many variables in my environment.

The only pattern I've noticed is it is more effective if a week or more goes by between use, but not effective just a few nights after prior use.

Suggestions?
Good suggestions so far. Another thing that works is to occasionally use the Aluball so that you can make totally different cultivars in one session. Today I'll shake up one batch of Wow kava so Sherri and I can each enjoy one strong shell of that. Then I'll probably try a new kava that the kavaseur recommended, Heritage Kava (on Amazon), followed by a Kelai from NZKS. And I can always be lazy and do one more shell from FujiVanua Instant Gold. Even when squeezing a nice amount of kava, you can mix a couple cultivars. And always use another variety the next day. Enjoy!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Good suggestions so far. Another thing that works is to occasionally use the Aluball so that you can make totally different cultivars in one session. Today I'll shake up one batch of Wow kava so Sherri and I can each enjoy one strong shell of that. Then I'll probably try a new kava that the kavaseur recommended, Heritage Kava (on Amazon), followed by a Kelai from NZKS. And I can always be lazy and do one more shell from FujiVanua Instant Gold. Even when squeezing a nice amount of kava, you can mix a couple cultivars. And always use another variety the next day. Enjoy!
Just ordered some Heritage Kava. Looking forward to trying it, was a good price too! Thanks

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Just ordered some Heritage Kava. Looking forward to trying it, was a good price too! Thanks
Just drank the first shell. It’s not bad tasting. It’s pleasantly a little heady, but still balanced. A little ringing in the ears. And Sowani, the kava farmer, included a little note in the pkg.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Depends on the strain. I have a Lewana that's very light but the Vanuatu... good GOD it's bad, like, really bad. One of the worst things I've ever tasted. But is it worth it? hell yeah. Lewena is very light in color, the Vanuatu is dark so I guess it isn't surprising.