What's new

No more kava for Aussies "Islanders shocked as Australia moves to ban kava"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deactivated Account

I live here...i know these people & it is causing terrible effects, along with other banned substances. My best friend at school was full blood Gunggari & i stayed with his mob many times. It saddens me to the bone that a forum of such in depth kava knowledge knows so little of these people yet stand on a pretence that kava is not hurting their communities, maybe you could visit & i can put you into my car & drive you there, your jaw will hit the dirt thats a fact. If you want to point a finger then look at 240 years of white civilisation completely & utterly destroying a native people,language & dreamtime...you cannot even begin to compare them to 'other indigenous' cultures around the globe & i know that from my traveling, no people on earth are the same as the Australian Aboriginal, that i know is a fact. They were 100% isolated for some 60000 years. I do not think i wish to be part of any fellowship where such ..(im honestly at a loss here what to write here, its like lets see who can google up the most group popular info)

Deleted User, that news article re the effects on their kids etc is actually dead accurate (as it is with alcohol also) but i will leave it to the forum to continue with its misunderstanding. So wrong of you guys..i know it.

How many of you have walked into an aboriginal camp ? No one single person thats how many yet you feel that they should have access to more substances.

Its like alcohol & hard drugs. We dont make the hard drugs legal yet we dont ban booze because of their existence.

You know if i was a betting man i would guess there are a lot of people that were eyeing off a good little business selling kava into Aust if the ban was ever to be lifted. I guess that has put a bee up their nose now.

As i mentioned this probably not my type of group any longer. Cheers guys.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Nemo, I don't understand. Wouldn't you agree kava is the lesser of two evils. Much, much lesser, compared to hard drugs and alcohol in these communities. Wouldn't it be better for the aboriginals to have access to kava rather than other more dangerous things ? Wouldn't it be worse for the aborigines if kava was completely banned, since it would only then create a shady black market with higher prices, lower quality and bunk kava ? Are you for banning kava ? Are you for banning kava only for them, but not for you ? If you're on their side, then shouldn't you let them decide what they want for themselves ? I'm honestly trying to figure out where the contempt for the forum comes from in this topic. I don't see anything here but us defending the right to drink kava, defending the right of the aborigine to drink kava by way of slightly mocking the whiteman's government in australia trying to control something far less dangerous than everything else in it's class. Why do I feel like you see us as ignorant racists that hate and completely misunderstand the aborigines, when it's actually the complete opposite.

D

Deactivated Account

Not everyone mate. I want that made quite clear. Some great people in here.

There is no possible way i can answer your questions without walking you into a camp.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nemo has asked to be removed from Kavaforums. I have deactivated his account, but since his input here has been invaluable as a great member of the forum I have chosen not to remove his content. This is out of respect to those who had conversed with him and to keep the congruence and readability of existing threads. I am sad to see him go.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Maybe if Australians had integrated with the aboriginal cultures better, they wouldn't be living in such squalid conditions that they've turned to self-destructive behavior in the first place. Of all of the places where England has commonwealth (or seceded-from-commonwealth) roots: The USA, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand, I think only New Zealand got it right. Maori culture is celebrated and the Maori language is on government documents. The haka is a natural treasure, and Maori is taught even in the privileged childrens' schools. All other places, Mother England has shamed, marginalized and nearly destroyed the indigenous populations. It's terrible.

EDIT: Man. Bummer that nemo opted out! I suppose he feels pretty ganged up on. But after reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Land" I've come to appreciate how complicated the anglo-aboriginal relationship is, and how ingrained it is in the culture. That in and of itself is quite sad and in need of remedy.

Last edited:

Brohepa

Kava Curious
Steve, as a European/Maori New Zealander my opinion is that the majority of NZ still largely rejects Maori culture and that includes Maori themselves! The majority of Maori have no contact with thier Iwi (tribe) and can't speak Te Reo. Whilst I agree that Maori probably have it the best of all the former British colonies indigenous people, the acceptance of Maori culture into mainstream NZ (European) culture only really started in the 70's and is mainly relegated to sports, entertainment and government letterheads.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Steve, as a European/Maori New Zealander my opinion is that the majority of NZ still largely rejects Maori culture and that includes Maori themselves! The majority of Maori have no contact with thier Iwi (tribe) and can't speak Te Reo. Whilst I agree that Maori probably have it the best of all the former British colonies indigenous people, the acceptance of Maori culture into mainstream NZ (European) culture only really started in the 70's and is mainly relegated to sports, entertainment and government letterheads.
Thanks for inside perspective, @Brohepa. I only lived in Wellington for a year, but I was amazed at how integrated things SEEMED. Many Maori, Samoan, Tongan people at my software company. The local uni's seemed very well integrated as well.

By the way, when pronouncing Samoa, it's not SUM-OH-UH like we say in the states, but SAAHM-WAH, as my Samoan boss' daughter showed me.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Blaming something that is of no harm instead of examining the lifestyles of the people's behaviors. Sounds like the wheels of any system no matter where one turns.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I see a reality show in the making "The dangerous & exciting life of Kava Smuggers".
When I read "Kava Smugglers" I thought of "olive smugglers" or "budgie smugglers".

Is that a noble root down the front of your swimsuit or are you just happy to see me?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Some good news: http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/islanders-fight-for-heritage/2566610/
Now the minister wants "discussions to continue". It seems that the Pacific Islanders in Australia might be quite an important constituency..
Hey, great article. I have been watching this story and wishing for the best for our friends down under. I'm so glad that they are "continuing discussions" This does sound promising. I hope you folks, are able to Keep Kava in a no banned status. Much Love Roaddog....

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A new article on this issue: http://www.vice.com/read/a-proposed-kava-ban-in-remote-communities-has-outraged-pacific-islanders

"VICE found representatives of the local Indigenous population reluctant to discuss kava and the impending ban. A local non-Indigenous source, who wishes to remain anonymous explained that the Indigenous locals, "don't want to be seen as being on one side or the other because straight away you get targeted by the government. They're frightened of being targeted by the police. We're living in a silent community here."

But concerns are being raised by representatives of Pacific Islander communities in Australia over the proposed ban, especially since the proposal is being made at a time when Australian overseas aid is funding the development of a bottled kava drink export industry in Fiji.

Osaiasi Faiva is the general secretary of the Tonga Parish, which is part of the Uniting Church in Sydney. He said that all official and social Tongan events are incomplete without kava. And although he doesn't drink kava himself, he said the ban would have devastating effects on local Pacific Islander communities, as people would turn to alcohol.

"How about alcohol? Which is more damaging? Most violent crimes are alcohol-related. The problem with kava is if you abuse it, yes there will be problems. If you don't abuse it, it's part of the culture and doesn't create any problems," Faiva said.

The 2007 commercial ban also detrimentally impacted Pacific Islander communities with people smuggling the substance, paying inflated prices and many younger people turning to alcohol."

Status
Not open for further replies.