What's new

No RT for me, but not 100% satisfied with the experience

WillieP

Kava Curious
I had my first Kava experience last night with KwK Puoni Ono. I didn't have the reverse tolerance issue, I have seen mentioned here. I went with 1/3 cup of root to 16 oz of water. I blended it for a couple of minutes in my Vitamix and then strained through a nut milk bag. I did do a few minutes of kneading as well although I am unsure if that was truly needed. I ended up drinking I would say 12 oz of the grog in 3 shells spaced 20-30 minutes apart.

Drinking the first shell I immediately felt a mild to moderate numbing effect in my mouth, tongue, and upper throat. The taste to me was very earthy with a peppery after effect. I would not say I enjoyed the flavor but I was able to accept it. After 20 mins and no real effect other than the numb mouth I decided to consume another shell. About 2 -3 after the second shell I felt warmth rush over me which at this point I figure was endorphins being released. At first I almost worked myself into an anxiety attack but talked myself down and tried to use mindfulness to accept the experience. I had some pleasurable feeling in behind eyes or temples almost like I was mildly baked. I did feel relaxed in a way but also had this feeling of underlying giddiness or antsiness that I can't really put a finger on. I was feeling stimulated in a way. It did make me fairly talkative.

I drank the last shell about an hour into the experience, which I would say lasted a good 3-4 hrs. I found that the giddiness made it hard for me to sleep. Once asleep I did have vivid dreams. I am going to try this kava a few more times to get a better feeling for it and see if I can get past the giddy/antsy feeling. I didn't really dig that feeling very much, though.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Seems you may be more like myself. I tend to stick with the heavier, more sedative kavas. Boroguru, or any variation of (borogu, boronguru) are usually on the heavier side of the spectrum. Tongan kavas have been said to "tong" or have that uppity feeling. Some people love it for morning drinking, but my drinking is always at night and before bed.

Keep trying different types of kava to see which one resonates with you. :)

WillieP

Kava Curious
Soooo everything was good except the antsy feeling ?
The antsy feeling was a major turn off, yes. It also dehydrated me fairly substantially. I can mitigate the dehydration, though. I was trying the root to get away from the generalized feelings of anxiety I experience daily. I don't want to create more of it. Hahaha.

WillieP

Kava Curious
Seems you may be more like myself. I tend to stick with the heavier, more sedative kavas. Boroguru, or any variation of (borogu, boronguru) are usually on the heavier side of the spectrum. Tongan kavas have been said to "tong" or have that uppity feeling. Some people love it for morning drinking, but my drinking is always at night and before bed.

Keep trying different types of kava to see which one resonates with you. :)
Thanks, Kapm! I will branch out a bit. I picked Puoni Ono, because I wanted to experience a balanced kava..... I may have been wrong. I will pick a heavier cultivar next. I did buy some of KwK's concentrate as well. Any experience with that? I am using it in the same fashion you are, after work to bring me back into relaxation mode and to wind down.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kalm w/ Kava's concentrate will turn your lights off. I've personally seen the concentrate put someone to sleep who was so keyed up and upset that I doubt anything else would. It's amazing stuff.

WillieP

Kava Curious
Kalm w/ Kava's concentrate will turn your lights off. I've personally seen the concentrate put someone to sleep who was so keyed up and upset that I doubt anything else would. It's amazing stuff.
Boom!! That's what I'm talking about!! I will try that when it comes in! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!!

WillieP

Kava Curious
Yeah seriously I hate that feeling and avoid it at all costs. The opposite of why I use kava as well.
Go for Nene too. That stuff is perfectly heavy with no chance of stimulation unlike say hanakapi ime

Thanks Mr.Binx. I read a lot of GHK reviews on here and nene def seems like a good pick for me, now that I have experienced kava. I figured it would be best to start in the middle and work to a headier or heavier based on my response. I know people's reactions seem to vary somewhat I will get a 1/2 of nene and a 1/2 of Boroguru.

WillieP

Kava Curious
Good idea. I personally have found boroguru to be more likely to make me antsy tho. But mixing anything with nene actually calms it a little..
Yep I am now seeing that is some reviews maybe I can get just a sample with an order of nene. I have a pound of Puoni that I am gonna have to blend off slowly. I don't wanna keep doing that!!

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
Is it possible that you are taking medication or a supplement that might not go well with kava. When I started, I had the same problem. I was taking oxy's at the time for pain. I'm off the oxy's, and my kava sessions are a whole lot better!:smuggrin:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah substances can enhance the effect or dehance it but it's still an aspect of kava regardless.
Coffee and caffiene in general are sure fire ways to make it worse...
Smoking cannabis makes it worse
Eating cannabis helps keep it away
Yerba mate seems to be an exception on the caffiene thing
Spicy food can sometimes increase that antsy feeling. Whereas more blunt nourishing food can ease it. For example if you want to avoid that feeling or not make it worse avoid adding hot sauce to your food.

WillieP

Kava Curious
Yeah substances can enhance the effect or dehance it but it's still an aspect of kava regardless.
Coffee and caffiene in general are sure fire ways to make it worse...
Smoking cannabis makes it worse
Eating cannabis helps keep it away
Yerba mate seems to be an exception on the caffiene thing
Spicy food can sometimes increase that antsy feeling. Whereas more blunt nourishing food can ease it. For example if you want to avoid that feeling or not make it worse avoid adding hot sauce to your food.

I take epa, b complex, and vitamin d (in the winter). I do take Xanax .5 mg on occasion if anxiety gets out of control but that's it. I plan on ending that asap. I drink coffee in the morning, 1-2 cups. But nothing else.... I don't drink alcohol or or use any other drugs.

WillieP

Kava Curious
Ya if all kava ends up making you antsy try droping the joe
Oh, I thought you meant drinking coffee in or around the time you are taking the kava. Shit I may have to give up my coffee.... Maybe the b complex too, that has b12 which can be stimulating although it doesn't bother my anxiety that I can tell.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah it still affects it later on. Cause your not able to fully relax .. due to the activation of flight or fight (.. caffiene .).
But it depends on the person.
If you get tweaky from Nene I say cut the coffee but if you only get it from heady stuff then don't worry about it

WillieP

Kava Curious
Thank you, Mr. Binx & Steph! I may just drop it on principle. I cut way back on coffee but never wanted to fully give it up. This may be the end of Java and the beginning of kava!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah it still affects it later on. Cause your not able to fully relax .. due to the activation of flight or fight (.. caffiene .).
But it depends on the person.
If you get tweaky from Nene I say cut the coffee but if you only get it from heady stuff then don't worry about it
Solid advice.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
B-complex probably isn't the problem. I take a b-complex at night sometimes and it never affects me. The niacin inside of it should actually calm down the b-12 jitters if u get any. And it's always good to take a b-12 supplement, just to be safe.