What's new

Noble kava kicks my butt

exit stage left
The kava I've been drinking until now has been unknown as to whether it's noble or not. It took quite a bit of kava to get satisfactory effects.

Now that I have 1/2 pound of GHK's Boroguru medium grind, I have to re-find my threshold. I used to make 2 tablespoons of kava in 2 cups of water, massaged in a stocking for 10 minutes. 2 batches of this drank quickly would be pleasant. I think the kava I was using before was weaker, or maybe I'm over reverse tolerance, because if I make the same with the GHK kava it's way too strong, I get double vision, and this afternoon I even thought I was going to throw up. Everything else was the same for both kavas - effects were immediate, after about an hour I was knocked out on the couch for 30 minutes, then I woke up feeling perfectly fine.

Suggestions? How do you find the perfect kava threshold? Should I slow down my consumption? Obviously next time I'll consume less. I'd rather be pleasantly affected for a longer amount of time than knocked out within an hour. Is there a different strain I should try?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
My kava is fresh and strong, I grow the best kava and if I do not grow it like the Boroguru then I will get it from people I know that grow it in Vanuatu and it is fresh too and very strong. Try to adjust your dose and use less to get the effects you want. Yes even too much Noble kava can get you very krunked :). Aloha.

Chris

exit stage left
Thanks, Chris. I do appreciate the strength, I don't mean to sound unappreciative. I will use less next time - I was just surprised because people seem like they use a lot, and I'm just using 1/8 of a cup per batch for two batches of 2 cups of water each.

kava is an adventure, and I'm definitely still learning.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thanks, Chris. I do appreciate the strength, I don't mean to sound unappreciative. I will use less next time - I was just surprised because people seem like they use a lot, and I'm just using 1/8 of a cup per batch for two batches of 2 cups of water each.

kava is an adventure, and I'm definitely still learning.
Kava is a great plant that God gave to us and each person is different, I know some people that use less than what you use and like you have seen there are some that use a lot more. Have fun learning about this great plant and please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

exit stage left
Ha ha, you'd think so, but I didn't really enjoy being that krunked, even though it really only lasted about an hour. Tomorrow I'll try drinking 2 cups with 1/8 of a cup of kava, and I'll drink it slower. I'll see how that goes. I'm really just looking for relaxation, and maybe anxiety relief.

blindy107

Kava Lover
1/8th of a cup is 2tbsp still. If you find yourself that sensitive you can just drink less. I usually space smaller shells out 15-20 min. I would still make a full batch and just save the leftovers myself. I find it easier to knead with a full sac...::awesomesmiles::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I drink a half cup + of kava in 2 cups of water...and krunkness isn't a certainty. Rejoice in the effectiveness of your low dosing. I wouldn't necessarily decrease your already small dose, I'd first make it the same way and space your shells a bit longer. If you never quite find the proper balance, another solution might be to send me all your kava. ::ricky::::kavaleaf::

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava is a great plant that God gave to us and each person is different, I know some people that use less than what you use and like you have seen there are some that use a lot more. Have fun learning about this great plant and please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris
No other kava vendor can complain about how this forum might favor Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. When the man who grows, harvests, processes and sells your kava takes such an effort to come here, and give advice. Thank you Chris, and the other vendors who frequently visit. It means a lot when customers can really know who they are buying from.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ha ha, you'd think so, but I didn't really enjoy being that krunked, even though it really only lasted about an hour. Tomorrow I'll try drinking 2 cups with 1/8 of a cup of kava, and I'll drink it slower. I'll see how that goes. I'm really just looking for relaxation, and maybe anxiety relief.
Chris's kava is very potent. He seems to have figured out how to optimize growing conditions to maximize kavalactone content.

You did mention you suffer from anorexia. I hope you don't mind me bringing this up here, but I only do so to point out that if your body weight is significantly below normal, it will take less kava to have a significant effect on you (compared to a chubby dude like me); that might explain what you are experiencing.

I'll add: borogoru is noble, but it is on the heavier side. You might want to try one of Chris's Hawaiian strains for a headier less ass-knocking experience.

exit stage left
Yeah, body weight makes sense.

I was thinking of trying Moi or Mahakea medium grind next - but Mahakea is listed as better than average potency, so it might also be pretty strong?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, body weight makes sense.

I was thinking of trying Moi or Mahakea medium grind next - but Mahakea is listed as better than average potency, so it might also be pretty strong?
Mahakea has a very high KL content. But the solution to that is simple: use less.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Yeah to add on what verticity said, you probably have very little in your stomach most of the time considering your condition which can make it thaaat much stronger. I get knocked out with a growling stomach.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Mo'i, Mahakea, and Boroguru will give you a shining example of the spectrum of effects that kava has to offer. My wife and i love all of Chris' products so far. All of them. She prefers Mo'i, I prefer Mahakea. But that's neither here nor there. The two of us drink kava for different reasons. Both varieties are seriously great. Do yourself a favor and eventually try them both. Mahakea is very well rounded. I consider Mo'i to be quite uplifting and sociable.

Poivrier

methystified
I drink a half cup + of kava in 2 cups of water...and krunkness isn't a certainty. Rejoice in the effectiveness of your low dosing. I wouldn't necessarily decrease your already small dose, I'd first make it the same way and space your shells a bit longer. If you never quite find the proper balance, another solution might be to send me all your kava. ::ricky::::kavaleaf::
I agree with this advice !
It was the key for me to space the shells longer and to drink little shells. I found that for me, the effects from a patient build up of kava dosing leads to a long and delightful methystification. On the contrary, if I take big shells, quickly i feel just incapacited, nauseous sometimes and the experience doesn't last long.
Kava is fickle, you have to brew with a good root, on an empty stomach, in a good "set and setting", adjust your shell rhythm and give your attention to the kava (I find that TV erase the effects, music on the other hand is incredible)...it's quite an art to master ::winkeyz::

I usually make two washes, since I like to stretch the kava effects I do a "weak" first wash and then a second strong wash for later. I am a light weight for kava too ;) although I never had the infamous "double vision" :watching:

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
That is the thing. You don't have to be krunked up. For me, I hate losing personal control and I just want to be lifted. Your "good problem" is that you already know that kava affects you with consistency. If your were a basic coffee drinker that loved caffeine, you would be able to recognize the increased potency in espresso. If a double was too much, you would stick with a single. And if that was too much, you could go back to your old faithful for all of the caffeine that you needed. If I was traditional straining like you, I might keep a chart or a file. I might even get nerdy and do it on Excel with all of the nerdy variables... If I was smart enough to make Excel do exactly what I wanted it to do! Any Kava Forum Brass wanna create an official data chart for the newcomers?

Last edited:

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with this advice !
It was the key for me to space the shells longer and to drink little shells. I found that for me, the effects from a patient build up of kava dosing leads to a long and delightful methystification. On the contrary, if I take big shells, quickly i feel just incapacited, nauseous sometimes and the experience doesn't last long.
Kava is fickle, you have to brew with a good root, on an empty stomach, in a good "set and setting", adjust your shell rhythm and give your attention to the kava (I find that TV erase the effects, music on the other hand is incredible)...it's quite an art to master ::winkeyz::

I usually make two washes, since I like to stretch the kava effects I do a "weak" first wash and then a second strong wash for later. I am a light weight for kava too ;) although I never had the infamous "double vision" :watching:

I am also working on the spacing. It's an experiment.

Poivrier

methystified
Good luck and have fun in experimenting ! It is very surprising how dramatically differents can kava effects be.

exit stage left
It seems like pacing myself is the way to go. 2 cups of water with 1/8 cup kava is pretty good for an evening. If I go slow, I can do 2 rounds. No double vision today, no nausea, just pleasant feelings. I usually drink it on a completely empty stomach and then eat something soon after, and then today I had the second round with something in my stomach, drawing it out over an hour or so. Much better.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Pace yourself, and drink plenty of water in between shells, and you will always have great kava sessions. And yes, experimenting is really half the fun... tweaking and optimizing for your body chemistry.