What's new

Not exactly new, but going in on kava

NileKinnick

Kava Curious
Hi folks,

I'm from Iowa, USA. First learned about Kava in college ~6-7 years ago. Experimented with it along with almost everything else. Probably difficult to be sensitive to it when you're combining it with gallons of beer, gram after gram of cannibis, and other more felonious substances. So I put it on the shelf for a couple of years.

Came back to it maybe 4 years ago and found that it didn't mix well with heavy drinking which I was unwilling to give up.

Recently quit drinking and bought a sampler pack from Kalm with Kava plus an 8oz jar of the borogu micronized. I really enjoyed the micronized while it lasted and have only done the traditional the past two nights with the Vula Waka from the sampler pack. Also very pleasant.

Some questions:

1. I didn't notice much if any effect from the concentrate liquids included in the sampler pack. Is this a reverse tolerance issue, or are these just not as effective in recommended doses as micronized and regular powdered kavas?

2. Is there a general timeframe for reverse tolerance? I'm sure it varies by person. I imagine 8 years of heavy drinking probably has some impact. I'm going through probably 6 tbps of the regular grind and 6 tsps of the micronized in about 2 hours each time so far (about 2 weeks).

3. I notice the True Kava certified vendors are all out of certain products. I imagine this has to do with supply scarcity as well as popularity. What about seasonality? Is there a particular time of year when the Pacific Islands produce more than other times?

4. What are the most popular "strains" if you will that are consistently available?

Appreciate any input. Cheers! On Iowa, go Hawks!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi folks,

I'm from Iowa, USA. First learned about Kava in college ~6-7 years ago. Experimented with it along with almost everything else. Probably difficult to be sensitive to it when you're combining it with gallons of beer, gram after gram of cannibis, and other more felonious substances. So I put it on the shelf for a couple of years.

Came back to it maybe 4 years ago and found that it didn't mix well with heavy drinking which I was unwilling to give up.

Recently quit drinking and bought a sampler pack from Kalm with Kava plus an 8oz jar of the borogu micronized. I really enjoyed the micronized while it lasted and have only done the traditional the past two nights with the Vula Waka from the sampler pack. Also very pleasant.

Some questions:

1. I didn't notice much if any effect from the concentrate liquids included in the sampler pack. Is this a reverse tolerance issue, or are these just not as effective in recommended doses as micronized and regular powdered kavas?

2. Is there a general timeframe for reverse tolerance? I'm sure it varies by person. I imagine 8 years of heavy drinking probably has some impact. I'm going through probably 6 tbps of the regular grind and 6 tsps of the micronized in about 2 hours each time so far (about 2 weeks).

3. I notice the True Kava certified vendors are all out of certain products. I imagine this has to do with supply scarcity as well as popularity. What about seasonality? Is there a particular time of year when the Pacific Islands produce more than other times?

4. What are the most popular "strains" if you will that are consistently available?

Appreciate any input. Cheers! On Iowa, go Hawks!
1. Yeah, they are much milder and not really comparable but very pleasant (IMO)

2. 1 to 2 weeks for most people (2 minutes for my son, some get it right away) and up to 2 months for hard cases. Some people never get past it so for them it's infinity, though that is fairly rare. (IMO, until you've crossed over, there is little benefit to throwing tons of grind at it. I think you just need a little every day while KLs build in your system and your receptors adapt. Once you find an effect, gradually increase dosage until you find what you want. It should be less than 6 TBS at a time, but maybe not. Some folks are hard core. (of course, I just triple balled 6 TBS of nambawan, but I'm special, and so is nambawan)

3. Seasonality is not really a factor. That said, I have plenty of kava on hand to ride out any supply fluctuations. But I drink a lot of kava for medical reasons as well as pleasure, as does my family.

4. It varies, of course, but you can almost always find something called a Fijian Waka and you can almost always find somebody who has a Borongoru from somewhere, often Vanuatu, and a Lawena, usually Fijian. You could get by fine with those as staples. But it is also nice to get those kinds that are only available briefly, as treats, and to round it all out. The ephemeral nature of those joys can make them sweeter. Already people are "remembering" KWK's Damu and Kava Time's Taveuni's Lawena, as well they should, those were both excellent kavas. I might have a little of each set aside for a while....

NileKinnick

Kava Curious
Thanks for the feedback! Any tips on a current source for borongoru? Only hit on Amazon is Kalm with Kava and they're currently out. Want it if I can't have it. Waiting on a lb of Malolo from from Cactus Kava. I'm basically planning on relying on vendors from lists A and B on this reddit post:
What other vendors are reputable?

Last edited: