What's new

Ohh man. Need some relief from that kava flava

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Seriously my last session, the one I'm on right now, was brutal. I literally cringed with every gulp.

What do you veterans mix in with your kava?

Or do you just keep on till your tastebuds get krunked?

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I hear you on that. My go-to method is to make my Kava as strong as I can with the least amount of liquid possible. For instance I'm just about to make some Boroguru with 7 tablespoons to 1 1/2 cups of cool water. After I get done kneading I put the mixture into the freezer for about 10 minutes so it's nice and chilled (the warmer the Kava the nastier the taste). I hold my breath while I chug the Kava (if you breath in while drinking you get the full taste :yuck:) and immediately after drinking I drink a small glass of dark chocolate almond milk. Out of all the different drinks I've found this is the only one that has been able to immediately kill that Kava taste. If I am able to do all of this correctly I never even taste the Kava at all. :D

Picture of my "chaser" for reference. It's gotta be the "Dark" Chocolate variety.....regular chocolate just doesn't cut it.

OgQoPtk.jpg

D

Deactivated Account

Cold does certainly work. Your taste buds like mouth temp to work best.

Its like a near ice cold Coke, hard to taste if its freezing cold but if its room temp, you can really taste it.

My problem is that i just cant wait and ill take a punch to the head for any kava.

D

Deactivated Account

A lot of expats in Port Vila taught me to have a can of soft drink (soda) & once you've had your shell & sit down again..take a swig, swish it around & spit it out. This of course does nothing for the drinking process however removes the after taste whilst you sit & ponder questions such as...If you took an 8 week old Chinese puppy to France & then at 10 years old, returned him to china...would the other dogs still understand his bark ?

...and people wonder what we get out kava.

D

Deleted User01

I use coconut water, almost 80 percent of the liquid. Don't get coconut creme. My favorite is Sprouts Coconut Water and it has a big H2O on it so you know it is watery. Other than that, bottle it and put it in the fridge. Added advantage of bottling, the crud sinks to the bottom and you can either leave it or shake it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Been at it for years, and the only way I've found to lessen the kava "blow" is by regulating your breathing during drinking. Whatever you do, don't breathe through your nose. Drink your kava as quickly as possible, and then start the rinsing process of your mouth with whatever you find neutral. Water works for me. If you successfully manage to not breathe through your nose, you'll barely taste a thing. If all else fails, keep a pack of your favorite gum (preferably STRONG mint) handy, and eat a piece as soon as you've rinsed your mouth out.

Gradius

I add a bit of stevia to my grog. I find that the strong and bitter taste of stevia masks the taste of kava very well.

scampo

Kava Curious
I've been squeezing in pineapple juice for the last 8 months or so. Better than water, for sure.

During the festive season, use a chaser of eggnog. Even after all that, I still get the kava shudder. But it helps!

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
It looks like any hope for the "I drink it because it tastes good" argument is out the window. The "I drink it because krunk!" argument is still holding strong.

I'll try each of the suggestions posted.

Make strong kava
Chill it down
Hold your breath
Arrange successive shots of eggnog, root beer, pineapple
Put your left foot in...

And wait for that sh%t to punch you in the head!

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
I usually use orange juice as a chaser. I take a small, scotch-like sip of orange juice and a deep breath of it to preoccupy my sense of taste and smell, chug the kava and chase with a sip of juice. It works well for me. Don't breath while drinking—the taste is very much enhanced if you do that, at least for me.

infraredz

BULA!
Long time grog-head and I still haven't found the taste to be so bad as to warrant a chaser or mixer.

That being said, I usually have an extra-strength ginger ale within 10 minutes of drinking it just to relieve any nausea that I might experience.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I pinch my nose while I drink it, tilt it back and chug it, flush my mouth out with some water from the sink and then let my nose go. Chilling makes it go down easier, but I'm often too lazy to do it. There is no making it taste good in my experience.

D

Deactivated Account

The alternative and something I learned in Tonga is to have a bowl of fresh fruits by your side. Just eat a slice of orange or pineapple after each shell. It really helps and I guess is quite healthy :)
The Nivans also do this religiously. It can kick the kava up a gear also.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Bananas chunks are good for the potassium
I try to chase mine with some sort of electrolyte mixture "Smartwater, sports drinks"

My general rule of thumb is this
1) The harder it is to get down, the more effective I like to think it is.
2) Drink now, taste later. Open your throat and don't sip!

My wife take like 4-5 drinks to finish a shell
I take one
She complains about taste.
I say BULA!

D

Deactivated Account

My general rule of thumb is this
1) The harder it is to get down, the more effective I like to think it is.
2) Drink now, taste later. Open your throat and don't sip!
I'm with you on this mate !

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Deep breath before you take your gulp, don't breathe through your nose at all and exhale through your mouth after your gulp like after a shot of vodka. Never had a problem with kava doing that.